What does a Library Assistant VI do?
Library assistants are usually the first point of contact for patrons visiting the library. Providing good customer service is a key part of the role. A library assistant assists librarians and library directors maintain the efficiency of the library by assisting with the clerical duties. These duties vary from receiving payments for fines, issuing library cards to updating existing registrations. Library assistants usually work at desks or computer terminals inside libraries in academic settings or a city's public library.
Most library assistants have a high school diploma or an equivalent. Library assistants who wish to eventually become librarians will need to receive both a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in library science. Generally, successful librarian assistants possess exceptional interpersonal, verbal and communication skills.
- Assist library visitors in finding what they need, in print and online
- Checking materials in and out and catalog new items
- Accurately shelve books when patrons return them and help process new material
- Actively shelve returned items and arrange the repair of damaged materials
- Organize IT access and solving user problems
- Manage counter, phone, and email enquiries
- Ensure copyright license agreements are followed
- Shelving and maintaining the outreach collection
- Previous in a clerical experience a plus
- Basic computer literacy
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and good problem-solving ability
- Great written and verbal communication
- Ability to push and pull objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds or less
- Working knowledge of library methods and procedures
How much does a Library Assistant Vi make near United States?
There are no current reports for Library Assistant Vi salaries. You can add additional job titles in your job preferences to see related salary information.
Library Assistant VI Career Path
Learn how to become a Library Assistant VI, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Library Assistant VI Insights
“The pay is abysmal for library assistants (it is better but not great for librarians and archivists).”
“I enjoyed the people I worked with and everyone was really laid back most of the time.”
“It was minimum wage so it didn't really pay for rent but it does pay for groceries and gas.”
“Some managers give us terrible work and there is no proper guide line for exployee.”
“I have met many great people that have worked in the library which made the job really enjoyable.”
“This job could be a good fit for you if you enjoy working in a quiet environment.”
“Working in such a great environment is just an added bonus to this great job.”
“I was very stressed when I had this job because I was a student worker and I was taking classes at the same time.”
Library Assistant VI Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Library Assistant VI
- Sales Representative
- Regional Sales Manager
- Sales Manager