What does a Makeup Artist do?
A makeup artist is responsible for visually transforming people's' appearance via make-up, paint, wigs, and other accessories. Makeup artists have the ability to determine the correct material and application according to lighting, setting and physical facial features. They apply simple and complex makeup as required by the client ensuring the needs of the client are met. Makeup artists can work in a variety of industries including entertainment, fashion or cosmetic service. They may also work as a freelancer or part of a team.
Generally, makeup artists must complete a diploma from a vocational school in cosmetology or makeup with at least 3 years of experience within their chosen industry. Successful makeup artists possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and have an artistic personality.
- Communicate with clients to understand their needs and wants
- Stay up to date with the latest best practices, tools, and technology in your field
- Adhere to personal hygiene standards
- Determine the necessary supplies and equipment needed
- Assist in applying and removing makeup and prosthetics
- Apply makeup in a professional manner
- Understand requirements from a visual and technical standpoint
- Create appropriate hairstyling to complement makeup
- Excellent knowledge of makeup products, techniques, and technologies
- 5 years of experience in the makeup industry
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Superior attention to detail
- Creative mindset and artistic personality
- Customer oriented with a proactive and positive attitude
- Technical understanding of lighting, photography, styles, and dramatization
- Deep understanding of health and safety rules
- Great understanding of makeup and hairdressing techniques
How much does a Makeup Artist make?
Makeup Artist Career Path
Learn how to become a Makeup Artist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Makeup Artist Insights
“The pay was great and I always strived to do better than the day before.”
“Some time face many more things which is not good for our work also get bad experiences.”
“There is no growth opportunity in this job also you will not get a raise.”
“very good and rewarding in this career”
“Good place to work and nice”
“You get to work with some of the top makeup artist and you get trainings every 6 months”
“Fantastic a Artistry line and great people to work with.”
“That write up came after multiple conversations with my supervisor and me telling her exactly what I needed help with.”
Makeup Artist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Makeup Artist
- Salon Manager
- Beauty Consultant
- Hair Stylist