What does an Office Clerk do?
A file clerk is responsible for the complete organization of all the files in a company. They are responsible for ensuring that the company has access to all of their paperwork at any time. A few of the main duties of a file clerk are filing paperwork, finding a document when it is requested, updating records, and double checking paperwork before it is filed. They also have to put the documents into an electronic database. Some of the jobs titles that a file clerk could grow into are office manager and operations manager.
A file clerk does not need any experience but should have a High School diploma or GED equivalent. One of the most important skills that a file clerk will have is great attention to detail. Another skill is patience as the file clerk will have to verify every single thing in a document before it is processed.
- File paperwork in the appropriate area
- Improve the accuracy of the filing system
- Retrieve paperwork when it is requested
- Input paperwork into an electronic database
- Update records with new information
- Perform regular quality checks on the file system
- Keep logs of paperwork that is taken out
- Ensure that sensitive information is safeguarded
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Great attention to detail
- Incredible patience to file correctly
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to stay organized
- Knowledge of filing systems
- Ability to implement new systems into the company
- Ability to work independently
- Great time management skills
How much does an Office Clerk make?
Office Clerk Career Path
Learn how to become an Office Clerk, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Office Clerk Insights
“I received good training and I always feel I can ask questions and get help if I need it.”
“Staff didn't like working as a team and it felt like there was little support for learning.”
“The mission is to take care of our customers to the best of our ability.”
“It was good and everyone is nice”
“Most customers are really nice and fun.”
“The best part of the job was interacting with the children and having the freedom to be creative with activities.”
“The company gives importance to work and life balance and I was able to pursue my other hobbies.”
“Fun place to work is good”
Office Clerk Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of an Office Clerk
- Administrator On Duty
- Office Administrator
- Administrative Assistant
- Office Manager