What does a Platform Engineer do?
Platform engineers write codes that bridge the gaps between software and hardware. They are a vital part of software and hardware industries and run diagnostic tests that verify the correct hardware design. They administer all software services configurations into various environments and supervise application packaging processes while maintaining optimal quality for each application. They manage and maintain all applications, prepare ad hoc reports for various systems and assets, and evaluate and document all operating systems per required standards and associate requests.
Platform engineers design and maintain all desktop and separate appointment activities, assist in template installation, and prepare scripts for all software development. They manage and prepare reports for automated process deployment and further develop reports to present to management. Platform engineers need a bachelor’s degree in computer science or an associate’s degree and relevant work experience.
- Serve as technical point of contact on customer engagements.
- Educate the customer on solution as appropriate throughout the life of the project or service life.
- Accountable for the technical decision making, defining successful outcomes and owning engineering execution in the team.
- Develop business cases for investments to drive improvements in metrics.
- Build automation to support product development and data analytics initiatives.
- Create, maintain and track designs (at high and detailed design level) with issue resolution.
- Identify new/emerging technologies for adoption, drive consistent code reviews.
- Provide high quality content deliverables using the appropriate document templates.
- Work with product management to direct priorities and ensure successful execution.
- Continually research current and emerging technologies and proposing changes where needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or engineering.
- Adept with Python and other common programming languages.
- Practiced with APIs.
- Skilled with scripting and frameworks
- Capable of working with a range of operating systems.
How much does a Platform Engineer make?
Platform Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Platform Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Platform Engineer Insights
“Generally people are good only as another said the day to day feeling is not well.”
“Good Environment to work and good”
“If you're a new college grad or a junior engineer then WillowTree is an amazing place to start your career.”
“Recognition is important at Cap and helps advance your career”
“Very little internal opportunity to grow and develop a career”
“No career path and really low rates”
“Good compensation but not great especially considering the economic inflation.”
“1> Good Pay.”
Platform Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Platform Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Devops Engineer
- Cloud Engineer