What does a Senior Director of Strategy do?
Strategy managers review and organization to determine strengths, weaknesses, operational effectiveness and opportunities for improvement. They recommend initiatives from internal and external factors that minimize risks and formulate plans to achieve long-term goals. They assess organizational performance and develop achievable goals by implementing processes that improve organizational effectiveness while building a sustainable competitive advantage.
Strategy managers support the development of a long-term organizational strategy. They conduct research and analysis of operational effectiveness, processes, stakeholders and stakeholders. They align department goals and process and resource allocation with the organizational strategy in mind and assess competitors and market trends. They identify threats and opportunities and present their findings, projections, and recommended actions. They monitor and report projects and support and guide senior executives in the decision-making process. Strategy managers need a degree in business or related fields; some employers prefer an MBA.
- Identify and evaluate strategic deals and partnerships that drive strategy forward.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with executives across the business.
- Support development of monetization, product marketing and go to market plans.
- Develop and implement strategies that resonate with the target market.
- Develop and execute the strategy for each digital media channel (SEO, SEM, and Social).
- Manage team members to deliver strategy projects correctly and on-time.
- Identify opportunities and continuously manage sales pipeline.
- Develop proposals and business models for new growth opportunities, products and markets.
- Conduct market research to identify selling possibilities and evaluate customer needs.
- Be a major contributor and driver to evolve holistic vision for performance.
- Construct financial modeling on buy, build, partner strategy options.
- Experimentation will be necessary, and some experiments will fail.
- Manage data retention of completed projects and other records.
- Coordinate key projects with portfolio strategy dependencies across multiple stakeholder groups.
- Manage and coach project teams to deliver complex engagements.
- Perform QA of content, logic revisions, and research requests performed by others to ensure accuracy.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, business administration, computer science, or engineering or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience in a consultant position.
- Has solid leadership skills and pays strict attention to detail.
- A problem solver and decision maker who strives for continuous improvement.
- Has mastery of systems such as agile, Oracle ERP, and cloud software.
- Can collaborate with other team members to strive for sound outcomes.
How much does a Senior Director Of Strategy make?
Senior Director of Strategy Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Director of Strategy, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Director of Strategy Insights
“Entrepreneurial spirit: Networking and interaction with others is best way to learn the business and shape your career”
“It exposes you to real life brand management and it's a good place to start your work career.”
“The mentorship program was really strong and I was able to have an opinion on many projects.”
“This is a great place to start your career and move around to different parts of the company.”
“you’re encouraged to really own your own development and the opportunities you see and go after.”
“Solid autonomy to work on what you want (but you have to fight for it)”
“I barely ever have to work over my 9 to 5. Work/life balance in my department is amazing.”
“Salary for the role was not competent to PM or EM roles at the same level.”
Senior Director of Strategy Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of strategy managers
Each day, a strategy manager reviews organizations and determines their operational effectiveness via their strengths and weaknesses. They make their recommendations based on certain factors such as market trends and competitor goals to minimize risks and help the companies achieve long-term goals.
Strategy management is a solid career, especially for those wanting a flexible career with a high salary. One benefit of working as a strategy manager is the ability to work either as a consultant for a company or independently. Most strategy managers work a traditional workday in an office setting, although they might be able to work from home on occasion.
Working as a strategy manager does have its difficulties, for example they might encounter pushback when making suggestions on how to improve effectiveness. If you are considering becoming a strategy manager, you will need outstanding research and analytical abilities, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and proficiency in several different types of computer software programs to be successful.