What does a Senior Dispatcher do?
A dispatcher is responsible for receiving emergency and non-emergency calls from people in potential danger. They manage calls and ensure that the proper response team is in place to take care of the caller. A few of the main duties of a dispatcher are inputting data into a system, remaining calm for the caller, and receiving calls. They also must ensure that the caller's information remains confidential. Some of the jobs titles that a dispatcher could grow into is police chief or police officer.
A dispatcher does not necessarily need work experience but they need a high school diploma or GED equivalent. One of the most important skills that a dispatcher will have is their ability to remain calm in stressful situations. Another skill is project management as the dispatcher will need handle multiple calls an hour. They also need to be able to come up with a solution to the caller's problem quickly.
- Take emergency and non-emergency calls
- Remain calm for the caller on the line
- Come up with a solution for the problem
- Ensure that all notes are being taken properly
- Effectively communicate with the caller and dispatch team
- Track emergency vehicles to ensure a timely response
- Learn how to use the basic computer and headset equipment
- Ensure that the caller was taken care of by communicating with the vehicle
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Ability to follow procedures and regulations
- Ability to remain calm in a stressful situation
- Fluent in English
- Incredible multitasking abilities
- Great communication skills
- Ability to rapidly input information into a data entry system
- Great customer service skills
- Ability to schedule and follow through with callers
How much does a Senior Dispatcher make?
Senior Dispatcher Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Dispatcher, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Senior Dispatcher Insights
“•Staff was all great to work with and if any issues we could sort it out with out incident”
“I was able to meet some really nice people and it was close to my home.”
“If you want learn how SCM works I think this is a great place and people to work with.”
“I have had the opportunities to grow and advance in both my position and income.”
“The University quit paying into our retirement and they increased what we have to pay into insurance.”
“So wen covid came I got laid off because I could not get it all managed.”
“Silk Way West offers way below than common minimum wage standards which is quite disappointment.”
“Flexible schedule once you have seniority and if there is enough staffing (which there rarely is.) Opportunity for lots of overtime pay.”
Senior Dispatcher Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Senior Dispatcher
- Customer Care Manager
- Customer Success Manager
- Customer Service Manager
- Customer Service Representative