What does a Senior Host do?
Hosts are responsible for the management of tasks at functions that include banquets, ceremonies, conferences, and parties. Hosts help plan and organize events and ensure everything runs smoothly during the event and coordinate with different teams and ensure all teams work together harmoniously.
Hosts welcome guests, answer questions, and work as a liaison with support staff as the event unfolds. Hosts assist with the planning, preparation, and organization of events, and manage any relevant staff working as helpers, including a kitchen or serving staff. Hosts receive and direct guests to their seats or tables and address guest concerns. They make sure the location is clean and neat prior to and after an event or seating. They ensure that all health and safety measures are observed at venues and that staff are well-versed and educated regarding any necessary emergency protocols. Hosts create a positive and relaxed atmosphere where guests enjoy themselves, and they offer polite salutations to guests as they arrive and depart from the venue or event. There are no educational requirements to become a host, but some hosts hold the job as part of their training for a related certificate or degree, including an associate’s.
- Deliver the correct drinks and food to guests when needed.
- Answer the phone and assist with answering guests' questions in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Greet incoming and departing guest in a welcoming manner.
- Engage guests, act as an ambassador of the restaurant in both personality and knowledge.
- Assist with special events and promotions as needed.
- Comply fully with all safety policies and procedures.
- Answer phones in a prompt and professional manner and direct calls as applicable.
- Escort guests to appropriate table based on rotation system.
- Bag and manage takeout orders, check order for accuracy.
- Greet guests at the door.
- Report to work in a neat and clean uniform.
- Assign stocking/cleaning duties to front end personnel during idle periods.
- Committed to safe food handling, cleanliness, safety and sanitation standards during the shift.
- Treats all guests in a manner to ensure their complete satisfaction.
- Notify management of Member/Guest complaints at the time they occur.
- Maintain a favorable working condition with fellow employees and managers.
- Be aware of team members and the environment and participate as a member of the team.
- Report all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Clean, sanitize, restock, and store host items according to company procedures.
- Prior experience in a hospitality setting.
- Demonstrated multitasking and time management skills.
- Conduct self with a positive attitude and attention to detail.
- A problem solver with a demonstrated sound work ethic.
- Is a leader and critical thinker with adaptability and sound decision making skills.
- Is a professional and a natural decision maker.
How much does a Senior Host make near United States?
Senior Host Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Host, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Host Insights
“i was young and this was my first job and the pay was so horrid and i was extremely overworked.”
“Most of the managers were really nice and most everyone was fun to work with.”
“I worked at the Brookside location and it was such a fun and beautiful area to work at.”
“I felt immense support throughout my time here and had such an awesome summer working as the hostess on the patio!”
“Pay is based on tip pool for EVERYBODY which can be really good or really bad from week to week.”
“The money was good but not great enough for me to recommend this job to anyone.”
“I worked here during college and they were flexible with my schedule and overall a fun place to work.”
“The people I worked with were amazing and it felt good to make a birthday Childs day.”
Senior Host Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Senior Host
- Food and Beverage Manager