What does a Senior HR Specialist do?
As an HR Specialist, you will administer the organizations payroll system to include establishing new hire account and deactivate separated accounts. You will provide training for all employees on correct use of the payroll system and work with the vendor on system issues. You will ensure the accurate and timely application of garnishments and deductions and that payroll is processed on time.
An ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience in a position where payroll was the primarily responsibility and hold a bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management or related field with a PHR, SPHR or payroll specific certification. You will be an expert in all aspects of payroll from vendor relationship to training on the platform and communicating deadlines to leadership. In addition, you will be responsible for maintaining employee confidentiality and expert use of HRIS.
- Responsible for administering payroll system
- Communicate with managers to resolve issues with payroll
- Ensure all timecards are approved by the deadline
- Track reported issues with payroll system and work with vendor to have corrected
- Reconcile payroll records with approved timecards
- Process wage garnishment and other deductions
- Analyze pay scale to ensure compliance with wage and labor laws
- Train managers and staff on correct use of payroll system
- PHR, SPHR or payroll specific certification, preferred
- Master's degree in Human Resource Management or related field, preferred
- 3+ years of experience as an HR Specialist
- Proficient with computers and Microsoft Office Applications
- Superior attention to detail
- Proven track record of maintaining employee confidentiality
- Expert with various HRIS applications
- Experience with payroll systems
- Able to work under pressure with strict deadlines_
How much does a Senior HR Specialist make?
Senior HR Specialist Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior HR Specialist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior HR Specialist Insights
“I love coming to work every day because everyone here is so kind and welcoming and hard working.”
“Good foundation to start your career and see if the government or private secor is best for you”
“I feel like my work makes an impact and the people are great to work with.”
“Was able to work with some great people and I learned so much about what NOT to do.”
“Was promoted throughout my 40 year career based on my experience and was given many opportunities to advance my skills.”
“There are many opportunities to learn and grow making it an ideal place to start a career.”
“I love working at TP because i can see that it offers a good career path and i can learn a lot from TP”
“Pay raises are not based on performance but how much your direct supervisor likes you.”
Senior HR Specialist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Senior HR Specialist
When working as a Senior HR Specialist, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Delegated Examining, Responses, Microsoft EXCEL, Microsoft Office, and Written Communication.
- HR Manager
- HR Consultant
- HR Generalist
- HR Business Partner
The most common qualifications to become a Senior HR Specialist include a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 years of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.