What does a Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative do?
Pharmaceutical sales representatives educate doctors and other professionals who prescribe medication on the pharmaceutical industry’s newest developments. They connect a provider with the knowledge, drugs, and treatments necessary to provide the newest care for their patients. They educate physicians, health care facilities, consumers, and pharmacists about the newest pharmaceutical products on the market.
Pharmaceutical sales representatives are fluent in pharmacology. When proposing or selling a new product, a pharmaceutical sales representative must describe its chemistry, the method of action, and the side effects and potential interactions with other drugs. They specialize in specific groups or classes of pharmaceutical drugs, including cardiac drugs or psychiatric drugs, and deepen their knowledge base. They schedule and attend sales meetings with healthcare providers and follow up on leads while cultivating new customers for the company or the products. They are also required to attend industry conferences and to speak at provider events. They conduct continuing education sessions for medical professionals and field research on behalf of their employers. Pharmaceutical sales representatives need a minimum bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or sales. A background in the study of pharmacology is also helpful.
- Attain sales target goals in the assigned territory through compliant promotion of portfolio of products.
- Analyze the market dynamics to ensure territory call goals are met and exceeded.
- Promote healthcare products per the laws, regulations and company policies governing the promotion of the healthcare product.
- Execute customer call plans and following-up on customer requests.
- Maintain and nurture professional relationships with the healthcare professionals they target to promotes healthcare products and services.
- Learn and impart to customers clinical, scientific and technical features of pharmaceutical products and patient support services to maximize appropriate product utilization.
- Help influence behavior change in customers such as product demonstrations/in-services, OR selling activities, and customer support trainings.
- Distribute and manage resources within guidelines provided by management.
- Operate ethically and in accordance with the company's process and strategy.
- Most time will be spent calling on physician offices in the assigned territory, with a modest amount of planning and administrative work to be done to report activity and ensure record keeping.
- Bachelor's Degree in business, marketing or life sciences.
- Demonstrated confidence and attention to detail.
- A critical thinker with strong time management and negotiation skills.
- Fluent in product knowledge for decision making and collaboration.
- Comfortable making decisions and leading and can demonstrate strong business acumen.
- Collaborative nature with others for persuasion and problem solving.
How much does a Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative make near United States?
Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Insights
“Constant organizational changes can limit opportunities for career advancement if you are not able to relocate.”
“Management at the time was able to accommodate my schedule since i was a student at the time.”
“So you really need to know why your committed beyond money and Freedom to keep you here.”
“Annual performance review raise potential.”
“You don't get benefits until 6 months of employment as well as NO PTO.”
“When I asked my trainers if we get raises based on our performance they LAUGHED AT ME.”
“Usually good management and products to represent.”
“Work Life Balance Was Good”
Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative
- Sales Representative
- Sales Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Regional Sales Manager