What does a Senior Software Architect do?
A Software Architect serves as the team leader for the innovation and creation of new company software and program features. Generally found in tech-heavy industries and large corporations, a Software Architect will oversee a team of programmers. They seek to manage and facilitate the proper design of large websites or programs within products. From software coding to innovative design, a Software Architect is the key to creating a seamless software experience for customers.
A Software Architect will usually hold an advanced degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. A Software Architect works on both technical and design aspects of a project. Creativity as well as a detailed understanding of coding and leadership skills are essential. Additionally, employers may seek to hire those with specialized certifications in computer languages such as Java or PHP. A proficient Software Architect will possess leadership qualities and seek to continually improve their skill-set.
- Collaborate with team members to determine best practices and requirements for software
- Oversight and approval of all final programs and products before formal launch
- Oversee and support the coaching and training of team members to ensure all necessary employees are confident in the use of software applications
- Actively seek ways to improve business software processes and interactions
- Prepare an easy to understand report for supervisors detailing achieved milestones and short-term project goals
- Use a proactive approach to common challenges and by continually researching best practices in coding
- Ensure software security by developing programs to actively monitor the sharing of private information
- Troubleshoot coding problems quickly and efficiently to ensure a productive workplace
- 5-7 years of experience designing and implementing software applications
- Professional programs certification in Java and others is strongly
- Experience working on large-scale software projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of web applications, cybersecurity and open source technologies
- Experience developing software utilizing various coding languages including Java, C++, PHP and more
- Outstanding collaboration and communication skill are essential
- Experience overseeing customized development of processes for multiple projects simultaneously
- Professional experience analyzing code for weaknesses and errors, and overseeing plans to improve them
- Experience designing secure software systems based upon industry-specific specifications
How much does a Senior Software Architect make?
Senior Software Architect Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Software Architect, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Software Architect Insights
“It great for self motivated folks who want to do lots of innovative work and push boundaries.”
“There are many professionals that have a great understanding and passion for ServiceNow as a product.”
“Pioneer to some of the top technologies in the world and offers great work life balance.”
“Onboarding is well organized and you have massive opportunities to learn and grow in your role.”
“In our group salary correction is not proper if some one is promoted to next level”
“Life balance 2. Stability in work 3. Benefits are well given 4. Salary offered is good while joining”
“I was honestly surprised when I first started working here at how heavily leadership promote a healthy work/life balance.”
“My job never felt threatened or at any risk of being terminated so I would say the job security here was very good.”
Senior Software Architect Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Senior Software Architect
When working as a Senior Software Architect, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are SQL Server, Cloud, Azure, Languages, and Frameworks.
- Enterprise Architect
- Systems Architect
- Infrastructure Architect
- Software Engineer
The most common qualifications to become a Senior Software Architect include a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 years of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.