What does a Senior Staff Engineer do?
Engineers are highly skilled specialists who use math and science to solve both simple and complex everyday problems. They make use of new discoveries by taking relevant information from prior scientific discoveries and finding where they apply to the more practical settings and uses. Engineers' valuable innovations strive to advance the way humans utilize products or perform tasks. Engineers are the professionals directly involved in the invention, design, and the maintenance of various machines, structures, or data systems.
Engineers work with various objects and items, from massive construction project work sites to lending their expertise to development of the human genome. Often, they are responsible for the innovation and developments of new products or services, or a new type of technology or process. Engineers use science, technology, or math to solve problems and design machinery, build skyscrapers, and oversee public works. They also address society's needs and problems, including preserving clean water, development of drug delivery systems that work inside cells, or cleaning up oil spills. Engineers need a bachelor’s degree in engineering from a school accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology and must pass the Fundamentals of Engineering and the Principles and Practice of Engineering exams
- Assist in the design and build of tools and equipment.
- Complete or assist in the completion of design studies.
- Ensure reliable equipment to ensure the supply of medicine.
- Manage project schedules and budget to meet project requirements.
- Manage and assign resources as needed within the engineering team.
- Assist with the operation maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Function as a technical specialist or in a lead role.
- Practice and comply with safety standards at all times.
- Mentor and assist with supervision of junior team members.
- Drive product roadmap and initiatives, and participate in technical design.
- Resolve systemic issues providing short, medium and long-term solutions.
- Assist in the installation, maintenance, and general support of systems.
- Provide design inputs and reviews of other projects.
- Develop strategic plans to provide effective product development.
- Provide support for scoping of work tasks and budgets
- Perform and maintain work to local, state and federal codes.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in information systems, engineering, computer science or electrical engineering or equivalent experience.
- Comfortable with CAD software as well as cloud software, LINUX, and Python systems.
- A master at debugging.
- Skilled with drawing alongside trigonometry and geometry.
- Collaborator with other team members using leadership, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Experience surveying, scripting, and creating frameworks.
How much does a Senior Staff Engineer make?
Senior Staff Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Staff Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Senior Staff Engineer Insights
“Good training ground for junior professionals which is great and they will make you reliable handling your role on”
“Good for them and the stock holders but not so much for employees based in the United States.”
“Not the best place if you are ambitious and driven and looking for rapid career growth.”
“CEO is an absolute pleasure to work with; he makes solid and quick decisions.”
“For the most part really great and smart people which it’s a pleasure to work with.”
“Working with Honeywell is really worth and being a former employee I always wish to work with Honeywell”
“Equally owners know nothing about managing people and treat everyone with disrespect (employees and customers)”
“You get to work with a great bunch of people and there are bunch of bonuses”
Senior Staff Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of engineers
Engineering is a very broad field, and an engineering career can result in many different aspects of responsibility. They could be involved in research and development, manufacturing, or construction. They can also take care of day-to-day maintenance of machinery.
Engineering is a very good career, and highly trained engineers are valuable in almost all industries. Aerospace, agriculture, civil engineering, computing, industrial and marine are just a few of the businesses that rely on engineers.
The pay for engineers varies a lot depending on the field they work in. The average base salary for an engineer in the United States is $163,670 but the highest earners can make around $322,503 per year, especially if they have a high level of education or additional experience.
Working as an engineer can be hard. Design engineers are often under time and financial pressure for completing projects. Those involved in maintenance can work in demanding environments while keeping things running.