What does a Senior Storage Engineer do?
Storage engineers plan and manage the installation, configuration, and tuning of SAN and storage hardware and software. They leverage market technologies associated with SAN vendor product enhancements and product roadmaps. They develop, implement, and oversee policies and procedures to ensure consistent storage provisioning, and uptime, alongside regulatory compliance and data protection. They manage and provide current disk and tape storage usage statistics and provide future projected growth estimates.
Storage engineers develop and maintain information storage systems for a company's customers. They ensure database security while operating in various applications and maintain hardware components while upgrading network processes. Storage engineers need a bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or related fields.
- Lead a team in the daily operations activities to include truck and rail car operations of a storage facility.
- Install, maintain and improve system configurations and solutions, as well as monitor and audit system utilization, performance and problems.
- Perform data migration tasks from direct attached storage and within SAN environments.
- Design modifications and changes to the SAN infrastructure and assists in the implementation and documentation of all configuration changes.
- Perform daily storage engineer activities including management, zoning, provisioning, troubleshooting, and debugging.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and professional work environment.
- Provide contractor or vendor proposals to the appropriate staff for review and approval.
- Monitor and manage maintenance tasks via online project management tools.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in computer engineering, computer science, engineering or information technology, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Vista.
- Experience with cloud, Linux, NFS, ESXI, VRealize, SRDF, Cisco MDS, Python, and ISCSI software and systems.
- Fluent in operating systems and writing protocols.
- Comfortable debugging and scripting.
- Fluency in middleware, firmware, and mainframes.
- Experience with fibre channel, Vcenter and operating systems.
How much does a Senior Storage Engineer make?
Senior Storage Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Storage Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Senior Storage Engineer Insights
“Healthcare and holidays are good.”
“home working is great for me”
“Great people to work with”
“The pay was great for its time”
“Salary is not so good”
“Can receive good training opportunities”
“Nice place to work okay”
“Nice place to work”
Senior Storage Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Senior Storage Engineer
- Professional Services Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Project Engineer