What does a Social Media Planner do?
A media planner is responsible for identifying which media platforms are best to advertise a client's brand or product. They work within advertising agencies or media planning and buying agencies with the aim of maximizing the impact of advertising campaigns through a range of media platforms like radio, television, Internet, and billboards. Additionally, media planners use mathematical formulas to analyze demographic data in order to determine what type of advertising would best suit their goals.
A bachelor's degree in Marketing or similar field along with 4 years of demonstrable experience in a similar role. Successful media planners possess excellent communication and teamwork skills and have an analytical mind with an aptitude for statistics and math.
- Collaborate with clients and the account team to understand the clients business objectives and advertising strategy
- Work on several projects simultaneously, often for several different clients
- Effectively communicate with the creative agency team, clients and consumers to develop media strategies and campaigns
- Execute decisions on the best form of media for specific clients and campaigns
- Undertake research and analyze data using specialist industry resources
- Identify target audiences and analyze their characteristics, behavior and media habits
- Present proposals, including cost schedules, to clients in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain good contacts with media owners, such as newspapers, magazines, and websites
- 3+ years experience as a media planner or similar role
- Broad knowledge of media channels
- Familiarity with campaign evaluation metrics and media buying
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Working knowledge of analytics tools (e.g. GfK MRI, MOAT, Nielsen IMS)
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work with IT resources such as databases and spreadsheets, for the collection and management of information
- Deeply analytical mind with an aptitude for statistics and math
How much does a Social Media Planner make?
Social Media Planner Career Path
Learn how to become a Social Media Planner, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Social Media Planner Insights
“No work pressure at all and you will have chance to grow in your career.”
“Opportunities to grow but the compensation for your work is not growing at the same pace.”
“Work from home twice a week was a pro pre covid but had just become a norm.”
“Promotions are rare and pay is not great”
“Felt lucky to work with such smart people and bringing my dog to work was also a major plus!”
“nice place to work and eviroment”
“If you don't get overtime the wage is barely liveable.”
“There are some really great and honest people who really do carry this organisation.”
Social Media Planner Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Social Media Planner
- Market Researcher
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Market Analyst
- Marketing Manager