What does a Technical Consultant do?
Technical consultants provide organizations with the information technology (IT) support they need to operate more efficiently. They implement hardware and software solutions and enhance IT systems. They analyze the existing hardware, software, and network capabilities and consult with management and other relevant departments. They also consult with systems and users to gather information about needs and requirements to improve the system's efficiency when they provide innovative solutions to their requests.
Technical consultants resolve log errors and analyze and improve the performance of features including web-based portals. They train end-users on hardware functionality and software programs and perform diagnostic tests alongside system hardware and software troubleshooting. They ensure computer hardware remains compatible with software updates and are present to advise on the implementation of the latest technological advancements and solutions on the market. Technical consultants need a bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, information systems, computer engineering, or related fields.
- Troubleshoot database performance issues, producing direct solutions or recommendations.
- Design and develop complex data migration plans, processes, and code.
- Provide escalated Level 2/3+ support for LMS functional and technical issues.
- Always ensure that solution provided is delivering business value.
- Provide design and technical consulting expertise for complex, high-impact projects.
- Develop program specifications and construct/modify code to meet business needs.
- Guide and provide ad-hoc oversight/training for the customers future system administrators.
- Support testing associated with cross-functional project team efforts as dictated by project assignment.
- Develop complex solutions that extend and enhance system functionality.
- Propose conceptual technical solutions and make changes based on the client's feedback in an Agile environment.
- Drive adoption by empowering clients to become self-sufficient with build process applications on their own.
- Will review the work done by the client or by an implementing partner in order to provide guidance, feedback and anticipate issues.
- Heavy travel to customer locations in support of sales efforts.
- Collaborate and contribute on the creation, deployment and maintenance of technical best practices and standards.
- Ensure technical deliverables to customers are complete, consistent, high quality, on time, and deliver valued outcomes.
- Ensure all time is recorded accurately and keep calendar up-to-date with scheduled activities.
- Manage multiple clients with limited or no support after initial project implementation.
- Support engagement efforts for process definition, re-engineering, improvement, and gap analysis of current/future-state processes during workshops with key customer sponsors and stakeholders.
- Lead technical aspects of project delivery and solution delivery for engagements, sometimes providing oversight and unit testing of partner resources development.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, computer science, engineering, or information systems or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics and Teams systems and software.
- Experience in a consulting role.
- Experience with SQL, SQL Server, CPQ, XML, C, and Java.
- Experience with Veeva CRM, D365, and P
- Comfortable with running business process analysis.
- Able to take a leadership role.
- Familiar with APIs, frameworks, and scripting.
- Can collaborate with teams and clients.
How much does a Technical Consultant make?
Technical Consultant Career Path
Learn how to become a Technical Consultant, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Technical Consultant Insights
“I found everyone I interacted with great and amazing and just want to have a good time.”
“Office administrators maintain such a positive and friendly attitude that make you enjoy going to work every day.”
“I liked the people I worked with and got the experience I needed in this industry”
“Everyone I've worked with here is enjoyable to work with and always willing to help.”
“Management was great about learning what your career goals were and helping you 'set your sails' in that direction.”
“A great place to launch your career and particularly ideal for graduates or entry level professionals.”
“And I really enjoyed working with my Boss from Canada he is super awesome and trust his team to do the job.”
“life balance 3. vast career opportunity 4. one of the largest employers in the world 5. value true talents”
Technical Consultant Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Technical Consultant
- Program Manager
- Project Manager
- Technical Program Manager