What does a Technical Marketing Specialist do?
Technical marketing specialists plan, develop, create, and execute marketing campaigns and materials about technical topics or for an audience comprised of technical users. These materials may include sales sheets, spec sheets, demonstration videos, case studies, and other content formats. They conduct market research to identify the concerns and priorities of their target user or consumer, and incorporate solutions or relevant information into the messaging. This type of marketing is often found in the B2B sector, where the target audience may be technical professionals.
Technical marketing specialists typically have a bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related field. They must be well-versed in marketing practices and strategies, including the use of digital media platforms. Experience using online analytics tools is helpful, and strong project management skills are required.
- Develop marketing and sales tools as required by the sales team.
- Drive marketing campaign execution across channels, including email, online, social, and PR.
- Occasionally help other members of the Sales and Marketing team with research or idea development.
- Plan and execute initiatives to reach the target audience through appropriate channels (social media, e-mail, TV etc.).
- Align with the department head and others effectively to communicate tactics and strategy.
- Track results, review analytics, and provide ROI of marketing activities.
- Drive large, strategic and complex pursuit process from proposal coordination through interview.
- Define market strategy with penetration plans including target customers.
- Work to understand technical claims and develop customer and consumer claims in collaboration with product marketing.
- Provide peer review and oversight for accuracy and quality of content.
- Work with marketing team to build, test and launch marketing technologies and capabilities that are based on industry best practices.
- Troubleshoot and resolve coding issues in a timely manner.
- Communicate and collect cross-departmental feedback to align on best practices and procedures.
- Develop compelling, differentiating value propositions, positioning, and messaging at the solution, product and segment level.
- Organize and execute various technical tasks for the development team.
- Roll out programs and optimizations to drive business and client goals.
- Create and manage a system of standard work, job aids, and training presentations and videos.
- Manage the communication, needs, and expectations of the deliverable they are assigned to.
- Business and market analysis, research and reporting of trends and results.
- Review, evaluate, and modify existing and proposed external technical programs.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, electrical engineering, computer science, or information technology.
- Demonstrated leadership, time management, and critical thinking skills.
- Is comfortable collaborating.
- A natural problem solver.
- Can multitask.
- Experience with software and systems such as CSS, InDesign, and Google Analytics.
- Experience with editing and templating to create and distribute newsletters.
- Can work in Adobe Photoshop and Creative Suite programming.
How much does a Technical Marketing Specialist make?
Technical Marketing Specialist Career Path
Learn how to become a Technical Marketing Specialist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Technical Marketing Specialist Insights
“I frequently get feedback on my work and will get raises to correspond with this as well.”
“Really good opportunity to start your professional career and deepen your knowledge.”
“I was not offered severance and the layoff was effective immediately.”
“innovative within its field but still see the worker”
“great people to work with”
“Work life balance was really always encouraged”
“amazing people to work with”
“Good Life Balance”
Technical Marketing Specialist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the roles and responsibilities of a Technical Marketing Specialist
- Market Research
- Digital Marketing
- Market Analyst
- Marketing Manager