Compare Ross Stores vs PetSmart BETASee how working at Ross Stores vs. PetSmart compares on a variety of workplace factors. By comparing employers on employee ratings, salaries, reviews, pros/cons, job openings and more, you'll feel one step ahead of the rest. All salaries and reviews are posted by employees working at Ross Stores vs. PetSmart. Learn more about each company and apply to jobs near you.
- Ross Stores scored higher in 6 areas: Work-life balance, Senior Management, Culture & Values, CEO Approval, % Recommend to a friend and Positive Business Outlook.
- PetSmart scored higher in 1 area: Compensation & Benefits.
- Both tied in 2 areas: Overall Rating and Career Opportunities.
What Employees Say
- "Employee discount" was the most mentioned Pro at Ross Stores.
- "Working with animals" was the most mentioned Pro at PetSmart.
- "Low pay" was the most mentioned Con at Ross Stores.
- "Animals" was the most mentioned Con at PetSmart.
I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years
Every day is different but somehow also routined. Constantly learning, lots of growth opportunities, busy, rewarding work. MIL is the hardest position in the store, but offers the benefits of morning... shifts and less direct customer interactions. Strong feeling of job security and fairness. You get to work with pets and the people who love them!
Weird hours, work weekends or partial weekends, constant painful budget and labor cuts, and retail management in general doesn’t pay nearly as much as it should for the range of skills, dedication,... and flexibility required to do the job. Lack of respect and appreciation from the general public (customers). Recognition programs are available however are not regularly used in all stores. The culture of the store teams is sometimes negative and stressful, but that will vary a lot depending on the location.
Advice to Management
Verbal recognition should be a daily focus and part of the culture. Your hardest working associates and leaders are often taken for granted and don’t receive the recognition they deserve. Don’t... forget about retention raises as those pay bands continue to increase, we are paying attention.