Google Interview Question: 1. How much money spent in US... | Glassdoor

1. How much money spent in USA per year on GAS

Answer

Interview Answer

8 Answers

I break down to 4 parts . 1. Car , 2 . Household , 3. Transportation , 4 others.
Interviewer replied me to focus on Car only.
I use USA population to answer this questions.
Finally, Interview ask me how do I think my estimation , is that too high or too low.

Interview Candidate on Feb 20, 2015

I would first clarify if we are looking at Gas spent on what (car, house, enterprise, etc.). If the question is on Car, then I will proceed to look at the US population first, and then break that down into those that drive (some distribution of age would be useful), and then based on that specific distribution, break further down in terms of driving distance for the specific driving group. (you could probably further look into different types of drivers - stay home mom, people with long commute, people with short commute, older people who drive less than one a day). And then simply multiple the different factors to come up with an estimate.

SuperDuper on Mar 30, 2015

I'd think there must be data on how much gas USA buy.

Jane on Sep 18, 2015

1. Do we consider both private and commercial (large vehicle - trucks) vehicle for assessment? - say the answer is only private vehcile

2. Even with in private vehicle, do we have to consider people driving the car for personal use or people driving for Uber and Lyft. The consumption of gas will vary based on the usage - say the answer is vehicle for personal use only

Make equation:

Money spent per year on Gas = total gas consumption by private vehicle in a year * price of gas per gallon

Total gas consumption by private vehicle per year = number of private vehicles in US * (average gas consumption per month per vehicle * 12)

Number of private vehicle in US = number of households in US * average cars per household

Number of household in US = total US population/ average person per household

= 300 million / 3

= 100 million households

= 100 million * 1.5 cars per household

= 150 million cars in US

= 150 million cars * (100 gallon per month * 12)

= 150 million * 1200 gallon

= 180 billion gallon

= 180 billion gallon * $3 per gallon

= $540 billion
You can see more product management exercises, answers, and feedback to the answers at productmanagementexercises.com. It's a free resource to help PM's prepare for PM job interviews.

Anonymous on Feb 3, 2019

This is a typical way of Google PM interview.

If you need to know how to structure your answers and what kind of format you will meet, you can try Rooftop Slushie that I found helpful. (rooftopslushie.com) Good luck!

Anonymous on May 21, 2019

Hello!

After successfully completing my interviews, I started at Google as a PM. Seeing that there were not many useful interview prep guides specific to Google, I’ve created a document & study guide that gives all the details about my experience, the questions I’ve been asked and their detailed answers. You can buy the e-book at: https://interviewjoy.com/services/interview-process-details/google-manager-interview-questions-answers/

I’ve sold this interview prep book to many Google Manager candidates already and received many 5 star reviews. The book proved to be very useful for all types of manager/account associate interviews at Google! You can see the reviews of my buyers at the bottom of the service detail page linked above.

The book will give you a clear advantage during your interviews. You’re welcome to buy it from the interviewjoy.com website.

Thanks and good luck with your interview process!

Alex

Alex on Jun 7, 2019

For those who are looking for tips for interviews at Google, try Rooftop Slushie – career advice from verified FAANG employees.

Rooftop Sluhsie:

i.e. Google Cloud TPM:

Anonymous on Jun 18, 2019

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.