2U Admissions Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 18, 2017

2.6

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Admissions Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 2U in January 2017.

Interview

So before I go into details about what the interview process was like, I have a detail to share about the job itself that would have made me not apply. The admissions counselor job, despite its title, is not a traditional admissions counselor position. This is a phone based sales job, where you are required to make over 200 phone calls a day to prospective students, and hit an enrollment sales goal. Failure to hit these goals is grounds for termination. If I had known this, I wouldn't have even applied, because I think it is unethical to push students into a $100,000 Masters programs when it may not be a good fit. That being said, The interview process is relatively straightforward, you get two phone interviews, one with a general HR person, and then one with the manager of the specific degree program you'd work with. After you clear that you go to an in person interview. So before you apply, be sure that you know what the job is about. Because if I had known what I do now, I wouldn't have even bothered applying.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you with selling $100,000 masters programs when students can find $20,000 programs elsewhere?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for 2U

Anonymous Employee in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 2U (Largo, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was quick and easy. 2 phone interviews- one with recruitment and one with the manager of the department, then an in person interview after. All interviews were less than 30 min and the higher up in the interview the more you get a feel for the people and what they want from someone in that position. They were very easy going in the interview but you want to make sure to have done some research on the company and DONT talk too much during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle working in a high energy and demanding environment? How do you want to be managed? How much are you looking to start at? Sell the interviewer on the or one of the colleges you've been to.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lanham, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 2U (Lanham, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was very communicative. The interviews were straightforward and nothing came out of left field, overall it was a pretty painless process. I interviewed with two team members separately.

Interview Questions

• What has been your greatest challenge in your current position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 2U (Denver, CO).

Interview

I applied with an employee referral. I was contacted within 2 weeks to set up a phone interview for 2 weeks later. The interview lasted about 25 minutes, the interviewer was extremely dull and mumbled a lot which was extremely frustrating, but overall the interview was basic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 2U (Denver, CO).

Interview

I applied online and was referred by a current employee. After about a month or so, I was called for an initial phone interview that took about 30 minutes. I was asked if I knew what the job entailed and I said that I knew it was mostly contacting prospective students about 2U's online programs. The interviewer told me it was a phone sales job and asked how I would feel calling up to about a hundred people a day.

Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 2U (Landover, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with HR recruiter was first. Next came a face-to-face interview with the director of one of the programs. The interview went really well, but we both felt there may be a better fit for me with a different school. A week later I had set up another face-to-face interview with a different director and that one was it. The interview was professional yet casual. Less than a week later I had an offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you think if our no a**holes policy?
      How will you handle opposition to the cost of the program?
      What skills do you hope to develop in this role?   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at 2U.

Interview

Very unprofessional and robotic interview process. Phone interviewer had zero personality and read off of a script the entire time. I have been on the other side of the process for many years and this process was a horrible representation of any company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at 2U (Denver, CO) in November 2015.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with the recruiter. If you pass that, then your second interview will be with a management team member for the team you will be working with. They both ask similar questions as to your background and in general want to get a feel for you ability to make high-volume sales calls and meet sales numbers.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a prospective client turning you down?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Largo, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at 2U (Largo, MD).

Interview

Everyone was friendly and nice, interview went well. I was asked about my experience i the field. was given several scenarios and asked what I would do. I answered thoroughly, Don't know why i was bot offered the position.

Admissions Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at 2U.

Interview

This is definitely a sales position. It was supposed to be a conversation, but I was just asked over and over if I had any questions. I felt like the position on the website did not clearly describe the job itself, so I was a bit disappointed when I did the interview.