3M Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 7, 2017

2.5

R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I spoke to 3M at my school's career fair and was contacted close to two months later for an interview. I don't believe that is the standard time frame, I got the impression that they were somewhat disorganized this year. The man interviewing me was nice and somewhat casual compared to other interviews I have had; he stated in the email to dress business casual and that it was not necessary to wear a suit.

Interview Questions

• All questions were standard behavioral questions; nothing surprising or excessively difficult.

Where do you see yourself in the future (as in, do you plan on going to grad school)?
      Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you pursued/researched a topic that was of interest to you and that was not part of an assignment?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by an outside recruiting agency. They set up a telephone interview followed by face to face. There was an offer quickly after the interview. The overall experience was quick and painless. Since joining, they seem to be moving to more offshore and H1B work.

Interview Questions

• The programming questions were easy, on the level of reverse a string in C. There were a few questions about Linux and the command line. They also asked some basic SQL queries.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked what I wanted and agreed. There was no negotiation in my case.

General Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

2 person interview - short, 30 mins. There was a drug test, a background check. It was not difficult. The interviewers were pleasant, professional they shook my hand. There was eye contact and time to share my thoughts.

Interview Questions

• Asked about experience w/ SAP, Excel, Point of Sale PO Conditioning, told there were real possiblities of being hired full time. ASked about goals objectives. That was it.   1 Answer
    • Biggrest weakness, I was asked what was my biggest weakness or defect from a professional perspective.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX).

Interview

I interviewed with 7 individuals in Austin, TX for approximately 45-60 min/ each. They did not offer any food or water during that time. I was starving and got a massive headache afterwards.

Interview Questions

• i talked to people from different departments. The interview questions were related to marketing, engineering, sales operation, division VP.   1 Answer

Sbd Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through my campus' online recruiting system (CV + cover letter), got a first round interview, attended the night prior (met most of the team - all of them were great), did well in the first round interview, was notified about the second/final round, prepared for that, and did better than I expected.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview, lasted about 30 min, then in person visit. Interview was very pleasant and had a lot of great insight into 3M's business and roles I'd play as a intern. Some technical questions, some behavioral.

R&D Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Got the interview for a Engineer Career Fair. Was contacted via email 1-2 weeks later to schedule an interview.

Very standard big company interview. Consisted of mostly behavioral type questions. A lot of "Please give and example of when you...", "Tell me about yourself...", "Was there a time when...". Interviewer was nice and made the atmosphere very conversational.

Interview Questions

• If you could invent a product and it would be backed by a company, what steps would you take to make i successful?   Answer Question

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received phone call ~15 minutes of basic experience questions. Onsite interview that lasted about 3 hours mostly showing around/lab walk through followed by session of detailed questions about resume and some hypothetical problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, just be ready for some problem solving and know your own resume backwards and forwards. There were some basic social interaction questions as well such as "How do you work with other people when you encounter a disagreement..."   1 Answer

Better offer from another company and they took too long. Total process from online submission to offer took ~2 months. Great group of people and great company, it was hard to turn down but money talks. The offer is also contingent upon drug screen and background check to be completed within 72 hours of offer acceptance.

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

Process was extremely easy and stream lined. Once I got called in for an interview I was toured around the facility before being brought into a conference room. There I met with 3 separate scientists who asked questions about my Resume, with a focus on leadership roles. I was only asked a few technical questions, but overall was more a personality quiz.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter for a position in the MVSS division. Had an on-site and was hired. Was furloughed 4 days after starting until after the holidays. During 6 month period, went through 3 cycles of layoffs

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer