3M Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.9

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Asked basic questions of who you are and why you would be a good fit. Interviewed by one male who was very friendly and positive, and one female who frequently interrupted you and never blinked which made eye contact very nerve wracking. No one ever got back to me either.

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received mail after 15 days asked whether you are interested in the position after replying yes interview was set after 3 days. Asked about my previous experience and personal questions.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in December 2016.

Interview

Escorted me to the interview room, very cordial low stress environment. Comfortable process generous with details about the position and the company. Good explanation of benefits answered any questions that I had about the position. Free tape

Paid Social Media Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The hiring process was long. It took several weeks to hear back about their decision to interview me. The interview was a panel interview. They did not get back to me for several weeks. Finally when I caught the hiring manager on the phone, she told me they moved forward with someone else.

Structural Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M in November 2016.

Interview

I talked to 3M at a campus recruiting event, applied online, and a few weeks later got asked to participate in a phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and had very straight-forward questions that were mostly about my resume-- they wanted to know about my past experiences in internships and what I was involved in on campus. There weren't really any behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What is one big thing you took away from your previous internships?   Answer Question

Testing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was real easy. First round with QA lead. Asked me to talk about my entire resume. and the second round with the Director of IT department. I was asked few behavioral questions. Asked about my current work. very basic questions

Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Columbia, MO) in October 2016.

Interview

Asked very specific situational questions related to the job. They wanted very specific answers, no general answers. Interviewers gave nothing away and had good poker faces. It was a panel of three people who all took turns asking questions in a round table format. Each interviewer asked questions each. Helpful for person interviewing to remember to speak in a STAR (situation, task, action, result) format.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were asked to do something inappropriate and how did you respond   1 Answer

Application

I interviewed at 3M in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with several members of the engineering team and HR.I felt like it was an interrogation rather than an interview. The last interview I did was with a panel of engineers I would be working with, one of the interviewers had a nasty look on his face the entire interview. I ignored him and that seemed to make him even more mad. I think I might have dodged a bullet lol...

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for 3m   2 Answers

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at 3M in August 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with two recruiters at my university, one of them was an alum. It lasted for about 30 minutes and it went by very quickly. The recruiters were nice and were really easy to talk to. The interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions. None of the questions were difficult. Overall a good experience.

O2 Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cordova, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Cordova, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Round 1 was a phone interview with basic behavioral questions.

Round 2 was on-site. They let you know beforehand that you'll see your competition, which was only one guy. More on him later.

There's 2.5 interviews and a tour. Both interviews are with plant managers. Standard behavioral questions. The interview after that is with a couple guys who recently went through the O2 program and there's no set questions they ask. They take you on a brief tour.

Up to this point I had no problem with the interview process. But what happened afterwards, not so much.

The interview was on a Friday. They told me I'd hear back from them next Monday or Tuesday. This never happened. I followed up with an e-mail a week after the interview, and no response. It wasn't until almost a month later that I got an e-mail saying that I didn't get the job.

This part I'll try to say with as little ego as possible: I was able to talk to my competitor before the interview and he had a master's degree with (as far as I could tell) no experience. I have a bachelors, two internships including one in manufacturing along with five years experience in another industry. My non-technical skills also blew his away. I'm not sure it's relevant, but he was a middle-eastern guy (I think) while I'm just a white guy.

So the guy with better academic credentials who could tick the diversity checkbox beat the guy who had tons of actual job experience.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a difficult problem you had to solve, and how did you go about solving it?   Answer Question