3M Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 18, 2017

2.7

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Asked basic questions of who you are and why you would be a good fit. Interviewed by one male who was very friendly and positive, and one female who frequently interrupted you and never blinked which made eye contact very nerve wracking. No one ever got back to me either.

Technical Aide Interview

Interview

They emailed and set up an interview within a week of applying for the position. One on one interview followed, and received a phone call a week after that. Was hired shortly after

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time you have solved a problem on your own in the past   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Applied online. The response time was relatively good. Completed a 45 minute phone interview with two managers and received an offer less than 2 weeks later. The interviews were very personable and the interview did not feel stressful despite containing several rather tough questions. The main focus of the interview was as a personality screening, determining my qualifications, and accomplishments. The interview was structured mostly as them asking open ended questions for me to respond to for as long as I could continue my answers.

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received mail after 15 days asked whether you are interested in the position after replying yes interview was set after 3 days. Asked about my previous experience and personal questions.

O2 Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Tonawanda, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter by phone for an interview. This went well (mostly behavioral questions, why the position, why the company, applicable experience, etc), and I was invited onsite the next day or so for an interview about two weeks later. There was no warning, but a few other candidates for the position were interviewing the same day. The day was composed of a lunch and plant introduction, followed by (depending on your schedule among the group) a plant tour, a process-specific tour and interview, a peer interview (EHS and QC engineers), and a behavioral interview (recruiter and plant manager). All the interviewers were very open to discussion on specific topics and appeared generally engaged and friendly. They responded very well to good questions. Being personable and interested along the way seemed to help in the process and helped me make a good impression. I received an offer by phone the day after.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example of a time when you had to adapt to a change in the end goal of a project, and how did that happen?   Answer Question
    • Why are you applying for this position?   Answer Question
    • Asking about resume points, teamwork experiences, leadership qualities like people management and influence, and explaining any oddities (e.g. different backgrounds).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not attempt to negotiate. 3M typically gives a standard rate and is hard to budge.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Technical interview was conducted by 6 managers and a high level process engineer. There were situational and statistical questions throughout the interview that were typical of any interview but what was most interesting was the statistical questions involved.

Interview Questions

• Draw and explain a standard distribution curve and what the first three sigmas are and what they represent.   1 Answer

Paid Social Media Operations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The hiring process was long. It took several weeks to hear back about their decision to interview me. The interview was a panel interview. They did not get back to me for several weeks. Finally when I caught the hiring manager on the phone, she told me they moved forward with someone else.

Structural Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M in November 2016.

Interview

I talked to 3M at a campus recruiting event, applied online, and a few weeks later got asked to participate in a phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and had very straight-forward questions that were mostly about my resume-- they wanted to know about my past experiences in internships and what I was involved in on campus. There weren't really any behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What is one big thing you took away from your previous internships?   Answer Question

Testing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process was real easy. First round with QA lead. Asked me to talk about my entire resume. and the second round with the Director of IT department. I was asked few behavioral questions. Asked about my current work. very basic questions

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

The interview was great - I had a very easy going recruiter, the questions were simple, recruiter was a genuine person, I really enjoyed my interview and time was very well spent