3M Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3M Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2017

2.8

O2 Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M in March 2016.

Interview

I applied in a job fair. I did a first phone interview (Behavioral Questions) with an O2 manager. after that I did a second phone interview with 2 managers (since I was unavailable for a personal interview)

Interview Questions

• typical behavioral questions
      talk about yourself
      describe a time when you had to go above and beyond
      describe a time when you took initiative
      ...
      Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Detroit, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

The process was great and went very smooth. I got my first interview on campus and I received a phone interview in the weeks to follow. The questions were very easy and it was more of a nice casual conversation than a stressful interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. I received my offer and took it as it was a great offer from the start.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hutchinson, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Hutchinson, MN) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied on 3M career site. Received a phone call requesting a in person interview at the job location the next week.

A plant tour started the day, and then a few other members of the project engineering team conducted a panel interview. A previously drafted list of questions were asked and subsequently answered.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Madison, WI).

Interview

Started off with the career fair at my college, which progressed to two on-campus interviews at my university. I heard back withing two weeks. The recruiting team was extremely outgoing. There was a pre-interview social, wich was helpful in connecting with the recruiters before the interview. It made you see a person instead of someone with authority!

Materials Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

Simple meet and greet with technical phone interview. The hiring manager insisted I talk with another team that I would be working with. The hiring manager had silly questions like he never interfaced with these interviewers before and didn't understand what they did. The managers were going to follow up once they got feedback from the group and never called. I guess 3M must have too many applicants to bother being decent.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't you working with your current employer in this role?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M in January 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant, easy programming questions. Interviewer described the task for the summer, what larger project it would feed into. One out of the box question, two programming questions from an engineer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by an outside recruiting agency. They set up a telephone interview followed by face to face. There was an offer quickly after the interview. The overall experience was quick and painless. Since joining, they seem to be moving to more offshore and H1B work.

Interview Questions

• The programming questions were easy, on the level of reverse a string in C. There were a few questions about Linux and the command line. They also asked some basic SQL queries.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked what I wanted and agreed. There was no negotiation in my case.

Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Straight forward interview with basic questions. Sit with a Superviser of the hiring department and a member of HR. Both go back and forth asking questions while taking notes on your answers. Got confirmation of hiring within 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Describe a job that you would think closely matches the job you are being interviewed for.   Answer Question

Research & Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Evanston, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

One month after applying online for the same position, the company announced a visit to campus with alumni interviews for Research and Manufacturing interns. My resume was selected for an interview, I chose a time slot, and I began researching the company's values more deeply. I read the name of the recruiter who would be interviewing, and I remembered him from an earlier career fair. Showed up for the earliest interview slot, and kept a positive attitude. The recruiter was pleasant (a morning person) and personable throughout the entire process.

The interview was 30 minutes long. The first half composed of a sales pitch for the company and the position, and a slightly more detailed description of example assignments. The next half involved light Q&A, covering some of my resume, and with a HEAVY emphasis on my interest in the position. Sharing the same alma mater, recalling him from the career fair, mentioning names, being personable, and sharing similar musical interests as the recruiter helped establish a close connection.

Sent a followup/thank you/further questions email later that night; received a response business day after the next. An email instructing interested applicants to apply for a particular req. # was sent a week after the recruiter responded the first time, and I received an offer the day after.

Interview Questions

• So, what is it about 3M that inspires you to apply? Why 3M?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2015.

Interview

Friendly phone interview between me and 3 managers. It was a stress free conversation and basic interview questions were asked. Don't act nervous and be confident throughout the process. An offer was never extended out to me but it was a great overall experience and I learned from the conversation.