3M Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

2.7

Research and Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Ann Arbor, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

After speaking to a recruiter at my university's career fair, she signed me up to interview just two days ahead, which was a surprisingly quick turnaround. There were two people in the interview, both very friendly and welcoming, and only really asked me "soft", nontechnical questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could invent anything (does not have to be realistic), what would it be and why?   Answer Question

QC Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Northridge, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Basic questions about situational problem solving skills. How you go about organizing and executing tasks. Giving specific examples is key to success in these type of interviews. Keep your composure and calmly think before you speak to show you are listening intently before you answer their questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had a deadline and were in a team environment.   Answer Question

Analytical Chemist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in September 2016.

Interview

Met with a group of 4 people on the team I would be working closely with. We just talked for an hour about what I had done in the past and what the job would look like. Very easy going. All the questions made sense and it flowed very naturally.

Interview Questions

• They asked about what projects I had worked on and how involved I was with the instrumentation.   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Long process. You will need the entire work day to complete. Started with a phone interview and then they fly you to St. Paul for in-person interviews with the entire training team of about 6 or 7 people. After a full day of interviews and presentations they fly you back to your respective city.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to lead in your last position.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at 3M in August 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with two recruiters at my university, one of them was an alum. It lasted for about 30 minutes and it went by very quickly. The recruiters were nice and were really easy to talk to. The interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions. None of the questions were difficult. Overall a good experience.

O2 Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cordova, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Cordova, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Round 1 was a phone interview with basic behavioral questions.

Round 2 was on-site. They let you know beforehand that you'll see your competition, which was only one guy. More on him later.

There's 2.5 interviews and a tour. Both interviews are with plant managers. Standard behavioral questions. The interview after that is with a couple guys who recently went through the O2 program and there's no set questions they ask. They take you on a brief tour.

Up to this point I had no problem with the interview process. But what happened afterwards, not so much.

The interview was on a Friday. They told me I'd hear back from them next Monday or Tuesday. This never happened. I followed up with an e-mail a week after the interview, and no response. It wasn't until almost a month later that I got an e-mail saying that I didn't get the job.

This part I'll try to say with as little ego as possible: I was able to talk to my competitor before the interview and he had a master's degree with (as far as I could tell) no experience. I have a bachelors, two internships including one in manufacturing along with five years experience in another industry. My non-technical skills also blew his away. I'm not sure it's relevant, but he was a middle-eastern guy (I think) while I'm just a white guy.

So the guy with better academic credentials who could tick the diversity checkbox beat the guy who had tons of actual job experience.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a difficult problem you had to solve, and how did you go about solving it?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M in July 2016.

Interview

First interview consisted of a 2 hr interview with the financial managers. The second one consisted of an hr long interview with the finance director and another financial manager. Overall it was a very relaxed interview process and the response time was quick. The interviewers weren't intimidating and were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavorial questions that pertain to prior work experience. How did you handle stress   Answer Question

Business Transformation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

1 on 1 interview that felt fairly casual, Interviewer was very approachable and easy to talk with. Asked questions pertaining to background outlined on resume and personal questions outlining how I fit in with company culture. Interview was not very long but was given ample time to ask questions of my own to the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Can you handle working on your own without being supervised?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Cordova, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Application:

I applied online. I received e-mail from the O2 manager to schedule a phone interview with her and the plant manager. Phone interview questions were based on Behavioral Questions and questions from my resume. A few weeks later, I was invited to an on site interview at 3M in July, 2016.

Interview:

There was an another candidate for the interview. There were three groups for the interview (Engineers, Managers with HR and current 02 Engineers). Each candidate interviewed with those groups and we took a tour of the plant.

Overall the process was pretty informal. I had an offer the day after I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were basic behavioral questions when I was being interviewed by the plant manager. I was asked some specific questions related to my experiences from my resume from the engineer and supervisor.

They asked a question such as how do you think your experiences and projects will help you skill in the particular job?   Answer Question

Risk Assessment Facilitator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. First, I had a phone interview where I called the interviewer. It was quite strange, but apparently it was the new system they started implementing. Within a few days, I got a on-site interview at 3M. Was told I would be meeting with one person, turned out that I met with 4 people, the phone interviewer, two engineers, and the staffing agency representative. The 4th person walked into the interview a few minutes late so I had to catch him up on my answers. He asked oddly formatted questions that made it hard to answer a simple question. Overall, it was a simple interview asking about my experiences, how I would tackle issues, and working with engineers. Lasted within an hour.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with engineers? How would you work/lead with engineers?   Answer Question