5W Public Relations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.4

Public Relations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed in the sense that the people I spoke with were very friendly and conversational. You could tell they wanted to learn about you and answer your questions. I interviewed with two people of varying positions from two different teams and then spoke with HR. They got back to me fairly quickly and exceeded my salary request.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I interviewed at 5W twice. The first time, they called me 12 times while I was at my other job and then when I finally stepped out to call them back, it was a 5 second phone call asking if I could come in for an interview. We coordinated the interview via e-mail after. Then, I came in and was there for about an hour. I met with HR, then two people on the account team. I thought it went really well and then followed up with HR to send writing samples. They never responded. Then, I followed up to ensure they received the samples, then they never responded. So, they ghosted me. Then, more recently I came in again to interview. Same process - but I came in TWICE. Each time I met with 3-4 people and was there for about 2 hours each time. I had to go through TWO writing tests (why?!) and then once I submitted them I never heard from them again. Still see that both positions I applied for are still active on LinkedIn...

Interview Questions

5W Public Relations Response

Jan 26, 2017 – SVP, Human Resources

I am sorry to hear that your experience with the hiring process at 5W wasn't as positive as we would have liked to hear. Please understand hiring decision's do take time as we want to make sure both... More

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Met with someone from HR, then a few others I would potentially be working with. The process was quick, which I like. However, they are looking for someone who will accept the job at their price rage, not someone who has experience and can succeed.

Interview Questions

• They asked pretty basic admin questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

I got an offer, and asked for a bit more money so that I can apply for medical insurance and still pay my rent and bills. Never heard back from HR about it and it's been two weeks. A company that size should know to be more professional in notifying people.

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations (New York, NY).

Interview

Since it's entry level, the process is pretty basic. They just want to make sure you are personable and can write well. They want to ensure that you are someone who will work hard, is willing to learn, and meshes well with the current team in whatever division you'd be entering.

Assistant Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations (New York, NY).

Interview

Fast process, HR reached out to me and I came in a few days later. Basically they told me the whole time all they do is pitch. It's like a sales job for PR so I decided to pass on it because in today's world, PR is becoming integrated and more than that.

Interview Questions

Interview

It was straight forward. They asked me a dozen questions on media and PR and current news. Asked me how I'd handle certain situations. Gave me a writing test

Interview Questions

• If there is a war going on in the middle east and that is all the coverage in the news, how do you make your client who made an app to share the bill at a restaurant sound important and get news?   1 Answer

Apr 7, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. We are glad you had a positive experience and welcome you to 5W.

Senior Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

This company has been a complete waste of my time. I spent time going for numerous interviews only to meet with the unstable CEO that constantly looked at his phone and left to make calls.
    HR is not up to speed on current PR practices, teams, or the process.
    It took over a week to get feedback from her, and then she could not explain as to why my candidacy was not being considered. After speaking to other PR peers, this seems to be a repeat in pattern.
    I suggest reaching out to previous senior people that worked there prior to wasting your time with this so called PR agency.
    After researching the company more and realizing the FBI investigated them, I dodged a bullet.
    BRAVO on living up to your street reputation 5WPR.

Interview Questions

5W Public Relations Response

Apr 20, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your interview experience here at the agency. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not as positive as we are known for providing. We do have a... More

Senior Account Executive Interview

Interview

Spoke with HR after they got hold of my resume. The person I spoke with was nice but she kept critiquing my resume and telling me how I should change it around (I've been working in PR for years and never had someone tell me I should change my resume around). She also wanted me to go for a position lower than what I currently was stating that people in my current position at 5w have more experience (which is completely untrue - don't think she knew I know multiple people who work there and have worked there in the past). After cheering me on and telling me what a great move this would be for me, we set up an in-person interview. I was told I'd meet with 2 people from the team and have a Skype session with someone else. I also had to complete a writing test prior to my in-person meeting and I had 1 day to do it. When one of the HR girls brought me to the conference room for my interview, she asked for my Skype name so she can set up the session (I've never used Skype in my life and therefore didn't have one). She seemed shocked and annoyed that I didn't have my own Skype account and then said she'd figure it out and use someone else's before leaving me in there in a panic. I knew this probably cost me some points but if you tell a prospective candidate they're going to be skyping, that is something the company should have set up themselves, not the person coming in or at least warn them to have an account available. Who even uses Skype anymore really? i also know for a fact another person that works there had to Skype too during her interview process and they used the HR's account, so why me not having an account was such a big deal is beyond me. The 2 team members came in to meet me and that part was harmless and went well. One of the girls wasn't too welcoming but nothing crazy. They left after like half an hour and said they were going to get the HR to come in for the Skype part. After leaving me alone in the room for about 10-15 minutes, the HR girl came in and said unfortunately the person I was supposed to Skype with is now no longer available so she was going to walk me out and would be in touch about next steps. I was going for a mid-senior level position, I knew they basically decided they weren't interested in me (which is completely fine) and decided to just let me go without going any further. The whole thing was so strange and left such a bad taste in my mouth. All because I didn't have a Skype account? This is a huge company, you're telling me out of 100+ people we couldn't use someone else's account? I can smell BS from miles away and knew when they were dismissing me that was it (which again is fine but I felt the whole way they went about things was weird and a bit unprofessional especially after convincing me to come in for a lower position which I was more than qualified for. Bottom line - if you want someone to Skype, set it up yourselves!

Interview Questions

• What are 3 traits your former colleagues would describe you as? What are some top placements you've gotten for a smaller brand?   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations.

Interview

I had interviewed with 5W a few months prior and did not get the job. Several months later, I had another phone interview where I did not mention I had previously interviewed because I assumed the company's databases would recognize my name. After what seemed like a successful phone call with talent, I received this poorly written and unprofessional email:

I’m sorry to do this but I actually saw your name come up in the system and saw that already spoke with someone at 5wpr and came in to interview with the team. We decided to pass on your candidacy since we were looking for someone with more related experience. Thank you for your interest in 5wpr, please keep in touch in the future.

Why they did not check this beforehand is beyond me.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 5W Public Relations.

Interview

The interview was fairly quick. I applied online and received an email within a day for a phone interview. From there, they wanted to meet immediately, so I scheduled an appointment for a few days later. They seemed to want to meet earlier so I moved my schedule around to accommodate them. They did not seem at all prepared the day of and looked rather bored when I showed up on time. I was not impressed with the general attitude. I've definitely had better experiences regardless of whether or not I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions. 'What do you know about the company?' etc.   Answer Question