7-Eleven Bakery Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

5.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Bakery Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 7-Eleven (Oklahoma City, OK) in August 2011.

Interview

Found an ad on CL for a Bakery Manager. I have been in the catering and events industry for 7 years. Sent resume by email on Friday, called on Monday, interview on Tuesday. Showed up at HQ, no one knew I was supposed to be there, the interviewer was late, (after they called around at my request- they tried to send me away, believing that I had no interview- was treated like I was trying to sleaze my way in!) after the interviewer finally showed up (ten minutes late) I was made to wait an additional twenty minutes. Brought into a conference room, and he began by asking me questions, fast, chronological, rapid fire questions- where did I come from, grow up, move to, what next, what next, etc. Example:
INT: "So, Candidate, how did you manage to move to Oklahoma from where you came from?"
ME: "Well, my dad was military.." (interrupted)
INT: "Great, great, what did you do next, was he army or air force"...
ME: (thinking) Which question am I supposed to answer?

And it continued on in that vein for an hour- me trying to answer questions (totally irrelevant to the subject matter, in my opinion. I mean, shouldn't you care more about what I can do in terms of production and baking, business development and marketing than whether or not my dad was army or air force? And where the bar was that I tended back in 1995? And what I thought of Oklahoma weather? Who gives a bloody damn?) and being pretty constantly interrupted. I think the term is "run roughshod over". In the middle of the interview, he made the remark that "a woman like yourself needs to know that a bakery is a dirty business, and involves getting dirty and even having to do some of the bakery work herself". I don't know if it was the height that my eyebrows got to, or the way I practically crawled over the table into his face and told him, "listen, mister. You haven't SEEN dirty work until you have PERSONALLY made lunch for 750 people because one of your cooks didn't show up for an event" that he took me a little more seriously. Figuring I had already lost the job, I took the gloves off and just kicked back and enjoyed the remaining two hours of the interview. I interrupted him as often as he interrupted me, shot back a couple of comments (like, "What was I expected to do? Show up in dirty cook's whites with barbecue sauce on my face and flour on my hands? This is a management position- I wore a SUIT. Appropriately.") Anyway, he told me that in about 3-4 weeks I could expect either a phone call (good) or the "dreaded letter" (bad). I shook his hand and walked out, went home, fixed myself a stiff drink, and laughed. That man knows more about me than my best friend, my mother, and my ex-husband combined. The interview was so thorough, I felt like he should have bought me dinner first, lol.

Meanwhile, I have decided to take a position I had on offer from a large supermarket bakery as Bakery Manager. I have not bothered to call them and ask them to take me off their candidate list, if a "woman like myself" is still on there, lol. :) Good luck!

Interview Questions

• What next? What Next? Every step of my life from 18 to 35 was chronicled in detail.   1 Answer