84 Lumber Manager Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.0

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 84 Lumber.

Interview

Applied and got a call the next day, did the brief phone interview. Went into the store and did some basic construction math. They're basically looking for Store Associates with the "prospects" of becoming a manager. Was offered near minimum wage with a bachelors degree and 2 years professional experience. They need to review the job description, a highschool student is qualified for this job. Does not look good on the company to try and pull this stunt on professional level workers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for 84 Lumber

Anonymous Employee in Elkins, WV

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Elkins, WV).

Interview

Very casual and personal. Lots of talking about building materials and the industry. What my background was. My experience in the military and how I felt my past experiences could or would help me.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in 3 years after being with the company?   1 Answer

Manager Trainee Interview

Interview

A very brief interview with a store manager followed a few weeks later with an interview from the Area Manager. Store manager is just a screening to make sure you aren't wasting their time. Area manager goes fairly in depth and doesn't sugar coat anything. Very upfront and honest about what the occupation entails.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to do the lowest of grunt work while at the same time selling the product?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beckley, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Beckley, WV) in August 2015.

Interview

simple and more on the uprofessional side
    walked into the building met with the manager and he spoke with me about what I was looking for in a job
    I then took a computerized math test on an out dated computer and out dated OS
    then i took a personality test in a booklet
    manager said he would text me the next day
    did not receive a text until the day after next

Interview Questions

Pay was only slightly more than nine dollars an hour

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Allentown, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Process went through quickly after a short phone interview then two in person interviews. The interview process in person was not intimidating at all. Glass door is making this hard for me to post

Anonymous Employee in Canton, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Canton, MS) in February 2015.

Interview

They had me take a test on a (very old) computer testing my construction math aptitude. I spoke to the area manager (because the store manager wasn't in). He got me set up for a drug screen and fill out a form for a criminal background check. Nothing to it... They focus on capability instead of pedigree or what you have done in your past. If you pass the computer test, have a good attitude, convince them you are ready to learn their way of doing things and have a clean background (and no drugs) they will probably hire you.

Ask about the store bonus history. If the store you're interviewing for doesn't hit bonuses, plan on living on the 9.42/hr + overtime (for Management Trainee).

Interview Questions

• This is hot, hard, dirty work... We work from sun-up to sun-down... We spend more time with each other than we do our families... But we have fun. Does that work for you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation for a Management Trainee. If you have a book of business or a strong history in the business you can negotiate all you like.

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 84 Lumber in December 2014.

Interview

I filled out the application, week later received a call asked a couple basic questions about my customer exp in the past. Later got call from district manager about the position and he would have a store manager call me to set up interview. The only offered me $9.50 hour yeah right thats a joke and the wanted me work atleast 50 hours of week.

Interview Questions

they only offered $9.50 hour and atleast 50 hours week thats slave work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Baltimore, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the manger trainee position, was called back the very next day by corporate in which they ask you a series of questions like, are you willing to work over time, are you willing to relocate, and other basic pre interview questions. Was told I would hear from the store manager who called me the very next day. Went in and was expecting a rather informal interview based on the nature of the industry and a previous working expereince with the manager. Before you even begin the "Hey how are you?" process you go back to basically confirm the worlds longest winded disclosure/review of resume and information process on an outdated DOS program. asks you a series of math questions including basic building dimensions so on and so forth that you must pass to continue.

Finished that and met with the manager who is honestly a hell of a nice guy, but he proceeds to explain that willing to work over time = mandatory minimum of 8 hours of OT a week. Willing to relocate = must relocate for every minuscule promotion (i.e. Manager Trainee to Assistant Manager to Co-Manager to Manager) By the way there are no "sales associates" those are manager trainees so your management training begins with such authoritarian responsibilities as cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping the loading docks, straightening products on shelves. Basically call every indian a chief and watch them wander around in confusion. This particular store seemed to have no home owner foot traffic, and you're expected to make sales quotas, it's much less about building a team as it is becoming a salesman. Salary was non negotiable and it sounds like you have the benefit of paying an absurd amount for all your 84 Lumber embroidered shirts that you are required to wear all by your lonesome. All in all not a good fit for me, in addition to ridiculous training seminars at corporate which seem to be limited in funding on the part of 84 for your travel, stay, meals, etc. Having to compete with everyone including my boss to squeak out a sale, standing in no heat or A/C all day for 48 hours a week (which if you don't feel like doing the math involves you working 52 eight hour days more a year than a normal 40 hour week) and a complete lack of interest in supplying their employees with better tools and systems or even amenities, I more or less ran from my interview shaking my head excitedly "No!"

Expectations are absurd, outdated sales model and tools, salary is non-negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Dover, DE) in October 2014.

Interview

Quick and easy. Less than fifteen minutes per interview. If you can do simple math and read it shouldn't be an issue. Basic interview questions Are read directly off of a premade list.

Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Manassas, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

Math test, PSA test, and one on one interview with manager then area manager. It was a bit informal and if they're interested in you they will definitely be calling you back.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this job?   1 Answer