8x8 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

8x8 Interview Questions

Updated Jan 12, 2017

Junior Android Developer Interview

Interview

Initial communication was with a recruiter at a job fair who pushed me to apply online. I was selected for an on-site interview soon after where we also learned about the company as a group. (Most candidates were UCSC students.) Company culture was very diverse as they mentioned they hired people of all ages and it showed.

NPI PM Interview

Interview

recruiter and hiring team seemed to be out of sync the entire process. passed phone interview. continued onto on-site interview. seemed to go well as they indicated they wanted move to the next step of meeting with a VP. made lots of effort to schedule this next step, but they kept stalling and making excuses. ultimately, they passed with no apparent reason why...had poor experience with entire interview process - the recruiters are not very professional and timely with their follow-up - wonder if its a reflection of their leadership and engineering staff...

Interview Questions

• what would you do if a project manager fell into a coma and you had to come and fill in?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at 8x8.

Interview

I reached out to a senior manager and had a great conversation. He indicated that he will have a recruiter contact me for next steps. Rest of the process was pretty typical - late or no follow-up, lack of communication and knowledge of the role and process, no respect for the candidate, and no indication of where I stand in the interview process. They have changed the job title 3 times in the last 2.5 months and keep on re-posting the job with the same description.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage the sales team's request and guide them towards a particular solution?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 8x8 (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Very loose and comfortable. Culture seems really nice, but not sure about managing style. May be a micromanaged postion. Everyone was friendly from the girl up front to the management team (that I met)

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with hiring manager, asked to assess website and give a presentation in person during next on-site interview. Then was asked to put a marketing plan together. Came back and presented to a few of senior staff. They liked it and asked me to come back again to present the same thing to other executives. Went in, everyone was happy, even met the CEO. After that, they asked for me to dive deeper into the plan to tell them how I would go about executing it. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not up for free consulting. I pulled out of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Assess their website - the good, the bad, the ugly.
      Create a marketing plan for them on how to grow the business.
      Dive deeper into the marketing plan and tell them how I would go about executing.
      1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied thru linkedin. Got an email from recruiter. Set up a time to call and discussed about the position and my experience. Sent an online coding task. Up on completion set up a phone call with tech lead. Phone conversation was about my current role and experience and asked few data structure/algorithm questions. I felt the interview went well, the person was very jovial and discussed other things beside the job details. Promised to let me know the next steps. Never heard back since.

Interview Questions

• 1. Explain different searches and big O calculation.
      2. Implement quick/merge sort and discuss efficiency.
      3. How would you query for nth largest value in a column (SQL).
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

It was an easy interview but no offer. I had been interviewed by 4 people each of them asking me basic questions. I had a one on one final round with a quality manager. He asked me basic networking protocols and my experience in testing. The interview went on for 1 hour and the end of the interview he was very positive in offering me the position. But after few days I received a mail saying not enough experience.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my background and the projects I had done.   1 Answer

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at 8x8 (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Had a recruiter reach out to me and then I met with the CMO within 48 hours. The CMO was a great interviewer and a very sharp guy. We spent a little time on my background before going into doing some real problem solving around some challenges they were facing. It was a very smart way to interview someone and something I will use when I interview people in the future. I was lukewarm on the company coming in and now I was excited about the road ahead.

I was sent down the food chain for another day of interviews and my experience wasn't quite as positive. I quickly got the sense that this was an older tech company that moved very slowly and had some outdated ideas around the role I was discussing with them. Outside of the c-suite, there didn't seem to be any big picture thinking or vision. I left my second day of interviews pretty down on the opportunity as a whole and didn't feel like it was a good fit or somewhere I could do innovative work.

On the plus side, the employees were very nice and people seemed generally happy. You just didn't get the impression that this was a Silicon Valley tech company that was in a high growth mode.

Interview Questions

• How would you position the company if the scenario was A B or C?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Lasted four hours onsite at company HQ. Interview lasted late until 7pm, met with six individuals it was jumbled on which role I was there for, some confusion with team. Good experience all in all.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would deploy a phone in this office?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I recently finished a series of interviews for a Software Developer position at 8x8 and though it would be useful to recap my experience for those who come after me.

The team I was interviewing for specializes in Unified Communications (also known as UC) software, and the position I was interviewing for was specifically a desktop position, although you might end up talking to the same folks if you are interviewing for a mobile role as well. While 8x8’s office building is massive (the receptionist told me that at least 500 people work there), the actual mobile and desktop teams are relatively small (less than five people each, augmented with several interns). So if you make it onto the team you’ll have a chance to make a big impact.

8x8’s current UC solution uses Adobe’s Flex (a/k/a AIR or Flash Runtime) which they very much would like to get away from being dependent on.

The way the interview series went was like this: the first guy I spoke with was the hiring manager, who is actually remote far out on the East Coast. Surprisingly, he’s the only person who appears to be remotely working (other UC companies actually encourage their employees to work offsite part of time, partly to force them to “dogfood” — make use of — the software they’re working on). He did ask me general technical questions but I can’t recall any of them off the top of my head, so they must not have been that out of line.

A few days later I was invited to come into the office, which is down in a corner of San Jose extremely close to SJC airport. As best as I can tell, there are no public transit options to get to the office location. If one is feeling plucky, perhaps one can hitch a ride on some eBay or PayPal shuttle (they have a sizable campus located next door to 8x8’s building). Driving and hunting around the lot for a parking space seems to be the only way to commute and the office appears to be at the intersection of a couple major West and East San Francisco Bay freeways (which are very likely extremely jammed during rush hours), so this is either a good or bad set-up depending on how your work schedule is set up. For the office environment, it looks like everyone has half cubicles with very low walls (essentially an open plan set-up) with meeting rooms and offices along the windows, and one of my interviewers said that if one really wants to concentrate on work they could probably work from anywhere (anywhere being a meeting room or a break room or even from home). 8x8 is in an expansion mode and there’s definitely a lot of open space within the building (large carpeted areas with no cubicles nearby) for more people to be placed.

For my second, on-site interview I was scheduled to speak with only two people. The first guy was a young, very eager Flex developer who remarked he had been part of 8x8 for at least five years. I was very happy talking with him as he gave me my first look at the software I would have been porting from Flex to native. The second guy was the mobile team manager, and here is where I ran into rough seas. I’ll recap his two brain teasers below. 30-40 minutes was spent discussing these two questions and then the remaining 10 minutes was spent with me asking questions about 8x8.

8x8’s employment application (which needs to be filled out prior to arrival) asks for a candidate to furnish transcripts and to prepare to take a drug test (which I’d certainly pass, but I also feel is highly inappropriate if the candidate isn’t piloting a plane or driving some mass transit vehicle for their prospective job).

Now if I had to guess why I didn’t pass this interview, the veto came from my last scheduled interview when I lamely blustered my way through a couple analytical questions. If you’re handed a schedule that includes a mobile team manager, please be prepared for a Microsoft-style interview — the guy I spoke with appears to care more for being able to quickly solve and explaining a theoretical algorithm versus whatever practical experience you’re bringing to the table. Hopefully my experience flunking the 8x8 interview will help you to prepare to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in my interview review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions

• Let’s pretend four travelers with different weights arrive at river on a dark night. There’s only one flashlight and only two travelers can cross via the single boat at a time, and the time that it takes to cross the river is the greater weight (e.g. if two passengers have weights of 5 & 20, it takes 20 minutes for the two people to cross one direction and 5 for the person with the flashlight to return for additional passengers).

If the four travelers have weights of {1, 2, 5, 10}, what’s the configuration that will get everyone across in the least amount of time?
      2 Answers
    • Given this source code and these constraints:

Embedded processor with 128Kb SRAM and 1.5Mb Flash ROM.
      Maximum Heap size = 100Kb.
      Maximum Stack size = 1 Kb.

———

#define BUF_SIZE 256

unsigned char acBuf[BUF_SIZE] = {0,1,2,...,BUF_SIZE-1};

void main()
      {
          int x = foo(acBuf);
      }

int foo(unsigned char *pBuf)
      {

Sum += acTempBuf[i++] = *pBuf >> 1;
              pBuf++;

return (0 == Sum) ? 0 : foo(acTempBuf);
      }

1) what is the value of x?

2) what is wrong with this code?
      1 Answer