9Gauge Partners Senior Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

9Gauge Partners Senior Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at 9Gauge Partners

4.0

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

After the initial phone screen, coffee interview and extensive online application (more details than a typical application), they brought me in for a 6 hour interview. This is all part of their TopGrading interview process (you can read more about it online). The 6hour day was split into 3-2hr segments (Career History, Lunch and Competency), each with 2 different team members. The first 2hrs basically went through what I had filled out in the online application from start to finish, with extra discussions about various parts of it. Lunch was with 2 different employees. The Competency portion was lots of behavioral interview questions and it was tough to come up with examples on the spot that weren't duplicates for sure. I was definitely intimidated before my arrival and I was exhausted at the end of the day...but I felt that the process was essentially a structured way for all of us to really get to know each other and see if it was a good fit. I spent time with 6 different people in the company so that helped give me a good feel of the culture/staff. Everyone was very nice and welcoming and they kept the whole day relaxed.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the mantras you live by? Name a time when you stuck your foot in your mouth and what did you do? Name a mistake you made and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for 9Gauge Partners

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX) in June 2018.

Interview

I was an online applicant and received a relatively immediate response (~1 week). The HR representative was very responsive and helpful during the process. I was out an out-of-town applicant, and the hiring team worked with my schedule to organize the (1) discovery interview with the HR team (phone), the (2) coffee meet & greet with the hiring manager (in-person), the (3) technical interview (online), and (4) in-person Topgrading interview (on-site).

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a conflict at work. How did you deal with that conflict?   1 Answer
    • What motivates you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX).

Interview

At 9Gauge Partners, they utilize an interview process called Top Grading. I recommend researching this type of interview method. Up until the final round interview, the interview was fairly standard - phone screen and getting coffee with my future manager- but the final round interview utilized more specific aspects of the Top Grading procedure. Although tedious, I had to fill out all jobs that I previously held in detail. However, by doing this, once I was in the final round interview, this allowed the interviewers to focus on specific experiences and ask questions that were more poignant than ambiguous, generic behavioral questions. The interview day was tiring, but I felt that 9Gauge was able to fully understand me as a candidate and I was able to understand the 9Gauge environment from the interview. The interview put me at ease because it was so thorough and truly allowed me to shine as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• What was a mistake you had once made and how did you mitigate it?   Answer Question

9Gauge Partners Response

Dec 20, 2017 – Human Resources

We strive to find the shining stars as candidates.I'm glad that you felt the interview process was thorough!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX).

Interview

As others have described, 9Gauge utilizes the Topgrading interview format. Before the day of the interview, you fill out a detailed history from high school to present day (should take between 2-4 hours) and a technical questionnaire.

The interview was 6 hours long consisting of four 1.5 hour sessions with two different 9Gauge staff (8 in total) ranging from Senior staff level to Director. The four sessions were: technical, behavioral, lunch, and career history. The technical went through a questionnaire previously filled out. I was asked detailed questions about my responses and asked to give specific examples from my past work history. The behavioral interview consisted of random scenario questions that each of the staff decided on in the moment (from a long list of questions). Nothing too odd but wide ranging in scope and some difficult to provide detailed examples of. Lunch was with two senior consultants in a more informal conversation setting. The career history is self explanatory.

It's a long day but feels good to talk through.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst mistake you have ever made and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process is more time consuming and thorough than any other interview process I have experienced, however, I definitely think it is worth the effort. The process really helps the company learn about you and vice versa. Ahead of the in person interview you will be asked to complete detailed information about your education and prior employment. You will also be asked to provide examples and commentary about how you embody each of the company core values.

Interview Questions

• There are in depth questions about all aspects of your previous employment. There is also a session to talk through your skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I was referred to the recruiting person, so my process started with a phone call with her for about an hour. We discussed what I was looking for and what 9Gauge was about at a high-level. That was followed by a couple of short half-hour meetings with one of the partners to discuss the opening further, as well as test my technical skills. I especially appreciated the excel test, because very few companies go that far and it's a pretty insightful, simple test that allows both the company to judge skill quickly and the applicant to get a feel for what they can expect to be doing. By then, we both had a better sense of whether this would be a good fit, and scheduled a full-day interview. The prep work for that was a Topgrading form outlining my background & education in details and a skills Excel form. We reviewed both in different parts of that day interview. I met with at least six different company members throughout the day, from different areas and levels. Overall, an intense process, but very detailed and very productive. I came out of it feeling like I had a pretty good idea what to expect and had enough opportunities to share my background.

Interview Questions

• What were your former supervisors' strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process took about a week. There was an initial phone interview, followed by an application outlining my career and education history. It was a very detailed process, but you could tell that the company wants to learn about about you as a person, not just whether or not you can get the job done. There were two individual Skype interviews that were very comprehensive but they were not overwhelming. Everyone in the interview was very personable and easy to speak to. One interview was a discussion about my technical knowledge and more focussed on my career history. The second interview was focussed on educational background primarily, going back to my college days.

Overall, the interview process was very comprehensive and professional. Yes, it took a lot longer than many interviews I have done in the past, but I can say it was worth it!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview process is extensive and in depth, but worth it! There were five steps to my interview process, 1. Phone Screen 2. Meet for coffee 3. A more in depth coffee/skills assessment 4. Complete the Topgrading packet 5. All day, 8 hr interview with several members of the team.

The process is very thorough as they want to ensure they hire the right person to join the team. Everyone was extremely nice and easy to talk to, I felt relaxed at each stage of the process. Be honest, be yourself, and speak the truth. This is the smartest group of people i have worked with and they are looking for similar, intelligent, dedicated people to help drive the business and continue to strive for excellence.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a positive and negative attribute of each of your previous employers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

After resume submission, 9Gauge contacted me with some follow-up questions. Then, I participated in a half hour phone screen, followed by a casual 1:1 meeting with a director, during which we discussed my background, strengths, weaknesses, etc. Next, I completed an online Topgrading questionnaire about my education and career history, as well as an Excel-based skills assessment. Then, I was asked to write about how I embody each of the 9Gauge core values. Finally, I had a full day of onsite interviews with 4 pairs of people. The first interview covered the Topgrading questionnaire in more detail. The next interview was more casual, consisting of lunch with two 9Gauge employees who answered my questions and asked a few of their own. The third interview included competency, i.e. behavioral, questions. The final interview was a review of my skills assessment, during which I was asked to explain or clarify certain items on the assessment and asked to provide examples of my experience in specific areas. My advice is not to hesitate about asking questions. You are going to meet a lot of team members from varying levels and practice areas during your interview process. They all have valid insight, and they were refreshingly candid and open with me, so take advantage of that opportunity to learn things you don't see on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• What were the high and low points of high school and college?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 9Gauge Partners (Austin, TX) in May 2019.

Interview

Application

My situation was unique in that the process was started over 2 years ago where I had a 30 minute phone call with HR and then soon after a one hour meeting with one of the partners. Then my situation changed at my current job and I asked 9Gauge to please put my hiring process on pause. When I reached back out earlier this year they took me right into the next step without hesitation, which was completing the technical file to assess my accounting skill set.

Interview

The top grading interviews were broken up over 2 separate days. The first day was a two hour interview with a CFO level consultant and one of their managers to go through the technical file so that I could provide examples to support what I stated I knew. Near the end of that interview I was provided with a case study to complete and discuss with them.

After successfully getting through this step I was asked to complete an in depth career history file that took a few days to complete. Once I returned the file to HR we set up the last round of interviews.

The interviews were from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. broken up into 3 groups. The first two hours were with the CEO/Founder and one of their Directors. We delved deep into the career history file discussing roles held, responsibilities, strengths, weaknesses, handling difficult personalities, etc.

The second group was with a consultant and a recruiter. It was a 1.5 hour lunch that was relaxed and pleasant. A nice way to get to meet potential coworkers.

The last group was with two senior managers and it focused on competency.

Interview Questions

• What’s one thing you’d go back and do differently if given the chance?   Answer Question