AARP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 17, 2017

2.7

Business Optimization Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online, had a preliminary interview phone call where I talked to the manager about my resume, and general desires to work at AARP and the position. Then I came in for an in-person interview. It was divided into three parts. First I met with the Business Optimization team, and discussed my fit for the position in more detail and my future professional ambitions. Second, I met with 2 managers, who explained to me the projects the team works on and their aims, and they wanted me to pinpoint my past experiences that empower me as a strong candidate. Last part was just meeting with two other heads to discuss any final concerns, etc. Overall, great experience - more like a discussion than being grilled.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for AARP; Why do you want to go into consulting; How would the skills that you obtained from your past internship at --- help you in this position?   Answer Question

Digital Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within 10 days for an initial phone screen. That went well, and they scheduled me to come in for an in-person interview with 2 people within the week. The in-person interview lasted about an hour and included set questions but was also conversational. I was provided with benefits information before the interview as well. Throughout the process, everyone was friendly and helpful. After the interview, I followed up with my HR contact a couple times, but never heard back about the status of my application (it's now been about a month since the interview). This greatly surprises me, as up until that point the contact was good about communicating with me. Because of this, I will think twice about applying at such an organization again.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of the more stressful times in your life and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP.

Interview

I had a panel interview with two of the vice presidents for the department I applied to, it was very open ended with situational questions, like how I would react if something specific happened at work, or if the boss was difficult, how I would prioritize etc.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you knew you were right and your boss was wrong on an issue, would you confront him/her?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

initial email, telephone call, follow up telephone call, in person with upper mngmt (three). All were fairly laid back. Questions were predictable. HR was friendly. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I was first screen by a staffing agency that AARP Foundation used to fill the position. I was then called into an interview with the Program Manager of the program and the Senior Analyst. The interview took about one hour. I was given notification about a job offer less than a week later.

Program Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at AARP in March 2013.

Interview

30 minute phone interview (HR Screening) followed by a 60 minute 1 on 1 with the hiring manager, followed by a 60 minute panel interview with 5 or so individuals.

Interview Questions

• Many behavioral style interview questions. Tell me about a time when you (demonstrated x skill), for example.   1 Answer

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AARP (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with HR. They got back in touch via email and said I was one of the finalists and arranged another interview, this time with the supervisor. They provide a list of questions in advance of the supervisors call where I had to talk about various experiences and how they would benefit them. After talking with the supervisor, he said they would get back in touch. He did, via email.

Interview Questions

• What was one of your biggest projects and how did you get the team involved?   1 Answer

Associate State Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Providence, RI) in February 2012.

Interview

Professional, with a diverse hiring team. Not only was I comfortable, a job offer came the same day as the final interview round. The questions were good, no theoretical "what would you do questions." Mainly about my previous work and accomplishments and the ways I went about succeeding.

Interview Questions

• Was I a team player. It's a small office with collaboration on almost every project.   Answer Question

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Recruiter was extremely helpful, both the in-person mad phone interviews were informative and conducted in an organized manner. Interviewed with a wide range of individuals giving a broad overview of both the organization and the specific position.

Interview Questions

• All questions were relevant and straight forward   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in April 2014.

Interview

A preliminary over the phone interview was conducted to establish baseline skills and competency. Subsequently, I was called in for an on site face to face interview with the hiring manager as well as potential internal clients. The hiring manager focused on project management methodology and internal clients focused on personality / working relationship style.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in working in both Agile and Waterfall project management frameworks.   Answer Question