ABC News Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ABC News Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2017

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ABC News (Seoul (South Korea)) in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted a resume, and got phone interview after 4-5 days for the first round. Talked with the intern reporter for 15 minutes in English, and then was invited to 1:1 interview at the office. Bureau chief was there, and we talked in both Korean and English, for about 20 minutes. Got an offer by text message after 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Why didn't you major in journalism, if you're interested in becoming a reporter?   1 Answer

General Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ABC News (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by ABC News recruiters and brought in for an interview for a management-level position. After a phone interview, I met with managers downtown. There seemed to be confusion about which position or positions I was being interviewed for. I haven't heard from the ABC team since.

Interview Questions

• How would you innovate at ABC News?   1 Answer

Associate Producer, ABC News Radio Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ABC News (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

This is my second time interviewing with ABC. This time for ABC News Radio. I got a voicemail from the senior producer and was asked to come in to interview. I came in, we talked about my experiences and qualifications relating to the functions of the job and if I could commit to 24/7 on call even though this is part time. He was very nice and professional, explained three types of roles an AP may be assigned to for this position and wanted to make sure I knew what I was up against.

My duties would be answering phones, securing contacts for stories, writing breaking news, editing audio or sound clips, and going out on the field to shoot and record for stories.

I took a writing test which I expected (having interviewed previously doing a timed test), and then took a fill-in-the-blank test on state capitals, public figures, sports, news terms, political figures, acronyms, etc and he said I did well. After one hour of interviewing with him and completing the tests, I met with two executives who chatted me up a lot. Very friendly and I asked questions. Then was handed back to the senior producer to say my goodbyes and told "I'll be in touch". I wrote a handwritten thank you letter and now I wait to hear back!

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with radio outside of college?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • Are you into sports?   1 Answer

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ABC News (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

First met with the Supervising Producer before meeting the Executive Producer. Each interview discussed previous experience, knowledge of current news, software I am familiar with and general personality questions. A writing test and current events sheet was required and timed.

Desk Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ABC News in July 2013.

Interview

This was a relatively easy interview process. The first part was a phone interview. After the phone screening and onsite interview with two different people I got a call back and was offered the position. If you want to work in a newsroom, this is an AMAZING experience. You get to work with some of the most experienced professionals in journalism. This opportunity is invaluable.

Manager, Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ABC News in November 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn. Set up a screen call and walked recruiter through my resume. Recruiter was very thorough asked specifics about individual contributions and daily responsibilities about current role.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to complete tasks efficiently with no direction or supervision? What would you do if you were left alone during your first week in your new role?   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ABC News (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Written assessment on world capitals and leaders, airport codes, sports teams, world events. This test was difficult, wish I had known and studied. There is also a writing assessment. The interviewer was pleasant and made for a comfortable discussion.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ABC News in August 2016.

Interview

I got an e-mail from the HR and arranged a time-slot for the telephone interview. At the time, I was abroad in another country, but things worked out well and the HR person called me internationally. The interview lasted about 20-30minutes. After 3 weeks, I received another e-mail from the team that I will be working with. I think they were originally supposed to see me in person, but they were running tight on schedule in hiring so I had another telephone interview. I again, engaged in a phone interview with two people, a production assistant and an associate senior producer form the team. The interview lasted about 30 minutes, but mostly they explained the job that I will be doing and about the team.

General Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ABC News (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume. Scheduled a meeting.Went to interview. Talked about interests and past experiences. Told about the company. Questioned on where I would fit in at the company.Told about upcoming future opportunities

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ABC News (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

1 meeting with a talent/development producer to see where I would fit in most at the compant. Then had 3 interviews with senior executive producer and one meeting with the person who held my job at the time. the interviews were about 30 mins in length each and took place over the course of 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? What's the most important lesson your parents taught you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

i accepted the initial offer. there was no negotiation phase