ABM Industries Facilities Safety/Risk Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Facilities Safety/Risk Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ABM Industries (Irvine, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

The interviews themselves were fairly straightforward discussions regarding workplace safety and managing risks as a government service provider. A very diverse set of client specialty areas but all-in-all on topic. The challenge came in having the actively manage the process by following up every 2-3 weeks with the "recruitment staff" in Houston. The standard comment back was, "I was just about to call you..." Finally ended the process on the 4th or 5th interview as a face-to-face, with one additional call-in from a regional COO.

After the protracted process, I received a telephonic offer from the Houston staff who stated they were going to follow-up with a formal offer letter should I tentatively accept. When I did, the letter was addressed to someone else, without mention of any bonus potential as had been discussed previously. When I asked for copies of the benefits materials that were supposed to have been part of the offer package, I noted that health benefits similar to my current coverage were approximately 3 times the employee payment. When I countered their offer with a reasonable increase in salary to offset the benefits increase, I received an email from the recruiter in Houston stating they wouldn't be going forward with the process. When I followed up with the regional President requesting confirmation of the decision, I received an apologetic call from their Western Regional HR Director who seemed anxious to close the deal, including a proffer of reasonable solutions to my request to maintain healthcare coverage for my family during the transition. While he was unable to close the deal at that time, he did promise that he contact me the following week so that we could move forward with the process. A week went by with everyone "traveling" and no follow-up call. Eventually, after a couple of weeks without a decision, I received an email stating they were now in a hiring freeze (despite the stated position being relisted on the job boards that day) and that they would consider me for the position should it become available after the new year. Amazing I know but having lived it I hope no one else has to endure a similar experience. It doesn't appear to me that their CEO learned much of anything on his "Undercover Boss" debut.