ADP Client Support Consultant: Small Business Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Client Support Consultant: Small Business Services

ADP Client Support Consultant: Small Business Services Interview Questions

Interviews at ADP

1 Interview Review

Client Support Consultant: Small Business Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ADP (Tempe, AZ) in March 2019.

Interview

After first submitting my application, I was scheduled for a phone screening where I was asked to go into further details about my resume, my education, experience, and other courses/certifications I listed. The person I spoke to made a point of saying I did an exceptional job of conveying my knowledge and experience to date. From their reaction, it seemed like what I had to say was much more than what was expected of the role.

Afterwards I was led through a few online assessments testing my grammar proficiency, ability to interpret coded and numerical data, and some general personality screening. Honestly weirded me out a bit because some of it was just so... easy. So easy that I'm surprised it was even in the process. If someone can't read and write in basic level English, they're not applying for this role, nor would they have made it this far to begin with.

After that I was scheduled for an in person interview. I met with 4 people in total. One VP, one manager, and 2 team leads.

The VP stepped out after only 2 questions. The manager stepped out half way though. Both of which was expected and said they'd do so right from the beginning.

The interview itself was pretty basic. Mostly straight forward STAR questions which we all come to expect now... afterwards, I got a very negative vibe from reflecting on the theme of what was asked.

It seemed like the priority was not on my abilities to learn the role and how I've solved problems in the past more so than it was my ability to conform and remain positive despite the odds... More on that.

And for the general, "Why ADP?" question, I made a point of emphasizing how I appreciated what I saw online in the company's effort to emphasize "A More Human Resource" in its company culture, and creating a positive work environment for the team all around. I didn't convey this strongly and confidently because deep down I started to question it with what I had just observed, but stuck to it anyways.

Seemed like the response I got was more of smiling through their teeth rather than anything genuine. Higher ups smirked, looked towards the others while they put a big smile on their face, forced a laugh, and responded with a can opener response.

I should have recognized the red flags in the moment.

This all tells me they've had issues in the past of people not wanting to be there and not feeling motivated to work, and they're blaming the people rather than seeing if there's something they can do themselves to improve the situation.

This all knocked me off my rhythm start to finish.

I'll be one of the first to admit in a negative review that I didn't do particularly well in the interview, but just not for the reason(s) I would have figured, and it didn't feel good coming out of it. I want to emphasize that my review is more an indictment of the company moreso than the two who interviewed me for the majority of the time. They can only do so much with a broken system.

One other thing that irked me too was that the ones I met with in person didn't see the connection between my experience and the role I was interviewing for...

....What?

Why is this being asked after getting this far?

It was the manager that asked me about this too.

it wasn't the type of question where he just wanted to see how I'd be able to handle being put on the spot type of thing either... He genuinely didn't understand until I gave a response.

At the very end, I made a point of asking 2 important questions for the two remaining employees:

1. Their experience working for the company.
2. Their honest feedback, and any constructive criticism.

I like to think of myself as a no nonsense, no BS, straight shooter, and I come to expect that out of others, and especially people I would work under. I was deliberately looking for not just what was said but how they said it.

The answers to the first question was lacking anything genuine, as if they had to answer that way because someone else in the company is sitting right next to them. And like I said too, I didn't do well. I knew the truth, I just wanted to see what they said. Of course, they cherry picked one very specific thing I said earlier and said I did a good job of conveying that piece of information...

Clearly avoiding the constructive criticism and opted to give what little bit of praise could be mustered up.

In the days following the interview, I was replaying the scenario in my head and trying to make sense of what had happened, and trying to get a better read on who I spoke to and how I did myself. Again, I didn't do great, but I didn't like what I was reading from the other side of the table either.

This review is what I came up with as a result.

I came to the conclusion that even if I had gotten an offer, I would have declined it anyways.

Interview Questions

• I don't quite see the connection and relevance of your background to the job description... what can you tell me more about this?   1 Answer

ADP Response

Mar 25, 2019

Thank you for sharing your insights into the interview experience and we apologize that your experience was negative. We aim for a professional experience in every interview session. If you have... More