ADP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at ADP

2,716 Interview Reviews

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ADP (Detroit, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a networking night. Follwed up with an email. I completed a typical phone interview the following week. Then I got an interview at their office 2 weeks later. It has difficult to schedule an interview time because of my class schedule but ADP was very flexible.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ADP (San Diego, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a first interview, then got invited to do a second phone interview with the sales director of the location. He was very forceful and somewhat rude. My recruiter never contacted me back if I would be invited for a 3rd interview. I emailed her TWICE asking if I was continuing with the process and even called her to see if she was alive. She answered the phone but I hung up because I was so mad she didn't email me back. This company has no regards for courtesy when emailing back an applicant and i wouldn't waste your time. I heard they're not so great to work for anyways.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynwood Center, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ADP (Lynwood Center, WA) in June 2014.

Interview

2 phone interviews and then you talk with VP of sales. Was not liked in less than 15 minutes during in person interview because during the interview I asked if what I said made sense. They are looking for really confident people for the position. I thought I could be that. But then I did come from a scientific background so perhaps my red flags got shown early. They do invest in training their people. If sales is something you like to do go for it.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ADP.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me to discuss meeting with the DSM. I arranged for an interview and field day. During the field day I rode around with a current sales rep all day. I had a great time and asked good questions and learned a lot. I got along with the rep really well who was super sweet and offered good advice on the role play coming up. He told me on numerous occasions he thought I was a great fit. After this I had the role play. Pretty standard and was given time to prepare. I was not nervous and was very up beat. Everything seemed VERY promising. During the last interview, the DSM mentioned I would know by the next day if I got the job so I wouldn't "be waiting all weekend to find out." I left very confident! That was 5 weeks ago. I have followed up, sent thank you's, and made appropriate contact. There is an excuse or no response EVERY time. I am pretty confident at this point I didn't get it, but I wish they would have the decency to actually let me know rather than ignore me.

Interview Questions

• Role play - sell payroll to them and be prepared for them to disagree with everything. Practice your response to a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ADP (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

First round phone interview went great. I scheduled a second round in person interview about a week and a half later. The interview was to take place in Chicago. I go to school in a different state so I drove 6 hours the night before and prepared for the interview. The interviewer asked me questions for about 15 minutes and then opened the floor to my questions. I asked a couple relevant questions about what would lead to success in the position and the company atmosphere, but I could tell the interviewer had made his decision within minutes of meeting me. I didn't feel comfortable and at no point during the interview did I feel he intended to make me. The whole interview lasted about 30 minutes and I left confused as to why I drove 6 hours for him to only ask 15 minutes worth of questions. The worst part was him telling me to call his assistant two days later if I hadn't heard anything, which I did. She told me that they went with a candidate who could start right away and had more sales experience (My last two summers were sales jobs). The fact that denying me the position was delegated to me calling his assistant left me very frustrated. If you wanted someone to start right away, don't have me miss two days of school and drive a total of 12 hours for an interview.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ADP in January 2016.

Interview

Phone screening with a recruiter. Then a face to face interview with VP of Sales. If you pass that step you are invited back (I would ask for it though) for a ride-along day with a current outside sales rep. Before I went out on the ride-along I had another short interview with the person who would be my direct manager. This was most rigorous interview of process, wants to know why he should hire you and your not just expressing interest but commitment. Ride-along gives you a great feel of day to day activities (Appointments, Banks, CPA's, Prospecting) After the ride-along is the role play. Role play with a manager, your given 15 minutes to prep then sell them a payroll solution. Express your confidence throughout these steps. Ask good questions. If you have a referral use it! I felt like I earned the job, they liked me, and truly wanted it. Was told by everyone throughout each step "I nailed it" and "I would be a great fit" yet I was not given an offer. The sales rep during my ride along had no previous sales experience before stating BUT had a referral (It's not about what you know, but who you know).

Interview Questions

• Why sales? Why ADP? What motivates you? Short term/long term goals? The interview questions were very standard, sell yourself and be confident that would be my best advice. Have numbers available if you were previously in sales.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ADP (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

1. Phone Interview
    2. Interview with VP of Sales
    3. Interview with Sales Manager
    4. Ride Along
    5. Final Interview with VP of Sales / Role Play

I did not get pass the second stage. While I do not know exactly why I didn't get the job, I feel like they may have been looking for more sales experience. At the same time, I do wonder if their HR recruiter gets commission for rounding up as many interviews as possible, when they could have known prior to the experience I didn't have enough sales experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ADP (Baltimore, MD) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was very unprofessional. They were late and rushed me throughout the interview as if they had a better places to be. I was unable to fully answer the interview questions and I was cut off multiple times throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're better than the other candidates we have?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ADP.

Interview

Great interview process. It began with a phone interview with a recruiter, followed by a face-to-face interview with the VP of sales, and finally ended with a ride along, which is where you shadow a sales rep. Pretty extensive process, but well worth it. ADP does a great job of letting you know about the company and exactly what your role would be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ADP (Bakersfield, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter at a career fair and completed a phone interview in the Spring but since I wasn't graduating until December, she told me to contact her again in September. When I got in touch with her, she transferred me to a recruiter from my hometown. I completed another phone interview with the new recruiter.

After the phone interview, I was invited in for an interview with the VP of Sales. Due to road closures, the VP was unable to travel to the location of the interview. He couldn't figure out Skype, so we did a FaceTime interview. He told me that he would like to speed the process up for me. In doing this, he said that I would have one more interview with the Sales Manager and a sales representative and I would be offered the job on the spot if everything went well. The recruiter was supposed to get in touch with me to arrange this.

I waited 2 weeks and didn't hear anything. I reached out to the recruiter twice before finally getting the recruiter to set a date for my final interview.

The final stage was a ride along, role play, and interview with the Sales Manager. After the ride-along I met up with the Sales Manager for the role play and interview. The role play went well and the interview seemed to go well. When the interview concluded I hinted around at trying to get him to offer me the job because of what the VP had told me. He did not offer me the job but told me the recruiter would get back to me early the next week.

Two weeks later, she emailed me asking how everything went and asking if it was something I could see myself doing. I responded within a few hours and did not hear back for another week.

When she responded she apologized for the poor communication and told me that there had been some restructuring in management, but that she would get back to me soon.

With one week before I graduated college and the deadline for another job offer closing on the next day, the recruiter called me. She let me know that the VP was no longer with the company and that the new VP wanted to interview with me. I let her know of my situation and she told me, she would see if she could arrange something else since I attend school 6 hours away and I could not interview until the following week. Essentially they told me that I had a good chance of getting the job, but could not guarantee me the job. I declined the final interview and accepted the other job offer.

ADP was originally my top choice. I wish the recruiter had been in touch with me more, just to let me know that they were still considering me. I understand that changes in management are unforeseeable and complicate things, but if someone tells me one thing on behalf of the company it should either be followed through with or I should be informed that circumstances have changed. The disorganization and lack of communication was very unprofessional, and I am happy that I did not accept a job with them at this time.