AIG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.7

Aviation Insuance Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AIG (Atlanta, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

I answered a job advertisement via Linked In. I was emailed a couple of weeks later, requesting a time for a phone interview. When I answered the email, an auto responder replied, stating that the HR rep was out of the office for a week. When I finally received a response, we set a definite time for the phone interview. I took the afternoon off from work to make sure that I was available for the interview. The time came and went with no phone call. Twenty minutes later, I received an email stating that the HR rep was sorry for missing the call and wanted to reschedule. Not having my work schedule with me, I replied that I would get back to her. When I was able to get a definite work schedule, I contacted the HR back and suggested that she email me on the morning of an available date and I would make myself available at her convenience any time that afternoon. The morning came and went, with no response. When I complained about the way in which I was treated, the HR managers informed me that the position was "filled." Something very sour is going on with this company. Maybe it was my age, race or some preconceived ideas - but, there should be NO reason to treat an applicant like this.

Interview Questions

• What time can you be available for a phone interview?   1 Answer

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at AIG (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I will never work for AIG based on the interview experience I had. It started very unprofessional. I received an email about 4 months after I applied telling me to go to “Superday” in two day. It was a very generic email with no personalization and they didn’t even ask me my availabilities. This seemed very out of the blue as I didn’t even get a phone call or anything before the email I received at 1am on a Monday night. The interview took place on the Thursday. It started out good, with a presentation led by the HR. Then we were sent to the Analytics floor. Here we were had 2 one-on-one interviews and 1 two-on-one interviews. The first interview was okay, she asked me a basic probability question and went over my resume. The second interview was awful. It was two interviews and me. As soon as I entered the room they said “How much would you buy a tree for?” Of course I was totally caught off guard. Then they told me to try and write something down. After struggling to solve this problem for 10 min, they were smiling and laughing at the fact I couldn’t figure it out. After that they “quizzed” me on classes I took Freshman year, it was like they expected that I was already an actuary. They were laughing at me every time I couldn’t get an answer correct. After the longest 30 minutes of my life, of these two 20-something year olds laughing and judging me, I just wanted to go home. The two interviewers seemed like they ruled the world and tried to find every question they could to make sure I didn’t have an answer. On the verge of tears, I went the third interviewer. At this point I was so done with the day. The interviewer seemed to be nice, but had that “oh she’s not going to do well here”-smirk on his face the whole time. I just tried to be confident, and he concluded with the hard question of “name THREE of weaknesses”. In conclusion, because of this interview I have reconsidered my career choices as I do not want to be a part of a department that judges people for their lack of intellect. I am grateful that this interview happened before I graduated and was able to tell that I was not meant to be an actuary.

Interview Questions

• How much would you buy a tree for?
      Financial derivatives questions   Answer Question

Regional Life Head Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Juan, PR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AIG (San Juan, PR) in April 2012.

Interview

Quick, precise and to the point. Direct Managers were more focused on strategy, matrix on how would I couple with the rest of the team, and my flexibility for long hours and excessive travelling.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with regards to "x" in "y" country? Challenges you have overcomed? How would you manage +5 countries without systems or support infrastruture? How much are you doing?   1 Answer

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AIG (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

AIG HR rejected my job application based on a misguided conclusion that I didn't do everything I could have for them during the screening process, when in fact they pressured me to do something so inappropriate that I had to refuse so as to avoid putting myself in a bad position. Next thing I know, EI got on my case to make sure I'm "fulfilling my responsibility to undertake a reasonable job search". I strongly suspect that the two events were related.

Other than that, it didn't seem like a healthy workplace - it was well over 80 degrees in the office and the managers were unprofessional, which confirmed what I read in other reviews about AIG.

Interview Questions

• "How do you handle difficult people?" - I was asked this question 3 times during the interview process, which really made me concerned about their culture and why they are so bent on this.

Another thing I found funny is that performing back checks gives AIG a nice excuse for gaining access to personal information such as candidate's birth place, and how can you be sure it doesn't influence their decision?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AIG (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The interviewer are late for 15 minutes and so the interview only took less than 20 minutes. The interview were all technical problems focus on machine learning.The interviewer is rude and he said their team took more than 80% work on communication with other departments. It's weird for a data science team taking so much time on arguing with others.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AIG (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in September 2013.

Interview

There were three technical rounds - 2 telephonic (1 by manager and 1 by AVP), and 1 face to face by panel (1 SM + 1 AVP), 1 HR round (telephonic), I did not found salary negotiation and offer letter process very good and effective.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate and there was no option provided

Risk Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AIG (Bengaluru (India)) in October 2013.

Interview

It was quite good. Multiple rounds of telephonic interview followed by a Skype round. Repeated questions in few rounds as the interviewer had no idea about question asked in previous rounds.
    HR was not clear about the job role and promised me something which was not in the scope. I got a separate job profile on joining.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AIG (Downers Grove, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

First started with a phone interview followed bu an assessment. Must have passed the assessment as I i got a call to schedule an interview with the Agency Director.

The interview was mostly a discussion about AIG, products and services, training that would be offered, compensation structure, laptop, 82% retention rate. The only question I had was how does one get compensated while training for and taking the insurance exam, and first year. The answer I got was very unclear and danced around the topic

Contract Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AIG.

Interview

Called by a head hunter. Went in for scheduled head hunter, they seemed to be surprised to even have an interview. Completely waste of my time. Contract labor for a position and an MBA well below the average hourly wage for the job.

Assistant Director, Treasury Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AIG (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen with HR about two weeks after I applied online for the role. This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager, and interviews in person with each team member (7) and the hiring manager. Interviews were spread across two separate days; AIG was very accommodating for a planned vacation during the process.