AKQA Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2017

2.8

Associate Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed at the SF Office for Associate Campaign Manager. The process was incredibly thorough. They put a great deal of effort into vetting potential employees. Special shout out to Tamika Ephraim, the Media Recruiter. She was incredibly attentive, accommodating and helpful during the entire process. Everything was explained clearly and transparently about the process, the role and the timeline. She was instrumental in guiding me towards the role and I couldn't be happier to have worked with her.

Great interview process overall, not easy or hard but they definitely take their time to make sure it's a great fit on both sides.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Digital Marketing?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through a referral and had scheduled a phone screen with a contract recruiter. She never called; I followed up and we rescheduled it the next day, again she didn't call. A 3rd time in a row, she again never called. It was until the 4th time that we finally made contact and it was a 2 minute phone call with her stating that it was a senior position without asking my background, who I was, or a basic cultural evaluation.

I asked kindly to be given a coding challenge and she sent it 2 days later. I completed it and had another phone call to be told it was a senior position.

Interview Questions

• She did not interview me.

The coding challenge was to write a function that reads lines of strings and gives commands to a robot. It was also to write tests for it. Very simple for anybody with a semester of CS classes from a community college.
      Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume in August. Had a brief phone interview with HR. About 10 days later, I had an in person interview with the team. The office is really modern. In person interview was held in more of a living room than a conference room.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and what would you bring to the team.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I received a coding challenge that gave you the input of two rovers on the surface of a planet, and some directional instructions. The output was supposed to return where the rovers ended up.

Interview Questions

• Example input / output

Input

5 5 3 3 <--- a "plateau" on the planet, otherwise known as the N E S W boundaries of the graph

1 2 N <--- rover 1's location

2 -3 S <-- final location of rover 2
      2 Answers

Associate User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

There are at least 2 rounds. Met with the recruiter first who was familiar with my portfolio. In the room was also a designer. They asked me about my portfolio and about my process. Asked me to talk about a few of my favorite projects.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite project that you worked on in your portfolio and why?   1 Answer

Associate User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I came in through the apprenticeship program. It was a very competitive program, but let me get to know the company and the culture before I started. Once the 3 month program was over, we gave final presentations and half of us were hired.

SEO Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview went well. People are nice and basically wanted to know what kind of sites I had worked on before. The conversation was mainly around what part of SEO I was able to do and how I could help improve the SEO on their clients.

Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The initial communication was on LinkedIn, then over email. Next was a pleasant phone interview with HR. After that was a phone interview with the person who is the manager for the open position. Unfortunately, the phone interview was rather short. They explained that they don't care for phone interviews and would rather I come in for a meeting. Sounded fine to me. I was eager to learn about the position and see the offices.

When I arrived for the in-person interviews, I was taken on a quick tour of the offices. Seems like they recently moved to a new office building and everything looked pretty new. Overall, it seemed like a very open-plan office, with employees sitting in close quarters. I didn't see any cubicles or dividers for privacy or sound isolation. I can imagine it probably gets distracting.

HR set up interviews with two team members and the manager. The team members were pleasant and seemed sincere. The one person was more on the serious side, keeping a somewhat tough tone throughout. I felt like they were certainly testing me at times, which is part of the process I guess.

For me, the most important person I was there to see was the person who would be my manager. I was eager to finally learn a bit about the position and their expectations. First off, I was surprised when they strolled into the conference room dressed in casual, sporty/workout-style clothes. And even more surprised when they said they were double-booked and spent literally just a few minutes with me. In the end, I was still totally in the dark about all the important details of the position.

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The process was very slow moving. AKQA's recruiter contacted me in asking for a phone chat, and once it was scheduled she ended up flaking on me 2 minutes before the scheduled call. It took TWO months for her to get the call rescheduled with me. After the call, she had me come in to meet with the head of PM. The conversation went well, but then it took another FULL month to schedule me to come in and meet with the rest of the team I'd be working with.

I could tell by speaking to the team there that they were harried, overworked and overstressed, though doing good work. After a complete background check, they made me an offer pretty quickly thereafter, which was just an OK offer - basically matching my current compensation rather than trying to do better. The recruiter did not respond to my request to share contact info for the other team members I met with, nor more details about the health benefits offered...I'm sure she'd already moved on to the next job she was trying to fill.

Interview Questions

• The account I was interviewing for had lost 6 project managers in as many months. The head of PM asked me what I would do to prevent that kind of turnover in the future and ensure the success of the PMs on the account moving forward. I asked what the reason(s) were that the PMs hadn't been successful, and the response was, "If we knew that, we could solve the problem ourselves!"   Answer Question

I decided not to accept the offer, as I don't relish late nights and holiday/weekend work at this stage of my career, and it's clear that's what's required at AKQA. I wrote a thoughtful note to the recruiter thanking them for the offer and explaining my reasons for turning it down. Several days later I've still gotten no response at all. Recruiting 101: Maintain your pipeline!

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews, two rounds of in-person interviews (although most interviewers declined to actually show up)

Interview Questions

• The most difficult phase of the interview was trying to answer the same darn question in different ways; I'm surprised by recruiter colleagues are so totally inept   Answer Question