ALDI Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ALDI Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

3.3

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ALDI in July 2009.

Interview

I met the company during a university recruiting event. They were lookin for mainly graduates only and you could easily tell. I went to the interview next day and spoke with the director of operations that hired the people. I came back for an on site interview with a group of people and they took us out to lunch and met with several different people throughout the day. Very long day.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to being the boss of a 45 year old store manager?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ALDI

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wirral, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (Wirral, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process has been incredibly positive for me. It started with a lengthy online application followed by situational judgement tests. A few days after completing this I was asked to take some maths tests which were difficult but not impossible and I didn't do any preparation prior to doing these texts. Then I was invited to do a one-way video interview which took around 5-10 mins to complete. This included questions such as: 1) Which region have you applied to? 2) Why Aldi? 3) What have you found out about Aldi in your research? 4) Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 5) Describe a set-back you have faced and how you overcame it. Can't remember any more but you get the gist.
    I was then invited to attend an assessment day. When I say day it was around 2 hours. There were 7 candidates in total. We were first asked by a very friendly interviewer to briefly introduce ourselves and describe our favourite Aldi product. This was followed by a group exercise where we had a few mins to review some CVs alone, choose one and individually present it to the group. The aim is to agree together on one candidate so try and persuade them to choose yours, even if its the wrong one in the end. I found that I was a bit quiet during this exercise and there were a couple of people who took over the discussion but I just tried to make sure I was involved without shouting over anyone, was often hard to get a word in edgeways. After this we had to do a 3 min presentation on a random topic. I had found out 6 of the topics beforehand on Glassdoor and had prepared a presentation about each one, I also took in notes in a smart black folder which was allowed. All of these topics came up in the interview however I was given a new topic I hadn't read about before and so hadn't prepared but I improvised and it was fine. The topics are: Staff, Customer Behaviour, Special Buys, Product Range, Store Layout, Till Systems and PR Marketing & Instore Advertisements. You are then asked a couple of questions about what you've presented. We then got the chance to ask our own questions and then we left. All in all this was a good day, well structured, interviewers were lovely.
    Around 3 weeks later I was invited to a final interviewer with the Regional Managing Director. This consisted mainly of questions about myself, my personal life, my upbringing, my hobbies, my degree etc, with a couple of competency based questions. MD was very friendly and put me at ease.
    One week later I received an offer via phone :)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your life from 0 to 22?   2 Answers

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (Bolton, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied to Aldi in October 2016, the process comprised of an online application form, some online verbal reasoning tests, a video interview and an assessment day.
    The application itself is not very hard, just requires you to demonstrate some understanding of the business model and their pursuit for efficiency in all that they do. These can easily be retrieved online or instore. I wouldn’t get so caught up on the application as I believe everyone gets moved onto the online test stage anyway.
    The tests themselves again are not too difficult. I am not the best at Maths or English yet I managed to pass them. Despite what the internet says, you do not get retested on these, so I guess you can get people to assist you however it does say to do it on your own.
    I am not sure how long it took to discover whether I passed but I remember it not being too long. I was thereafter invited to undertake a 5 min video interview. This comprises of 9 questions which you get 30 secs to prepare for. My advice for this is to be yourself completely, here they are looking for personality and confidence. Not one of the questions are there to trip you up, and I am sure you can find many of the questions online.
    I was thereafter invited to an assessment day, which lasts around 3 hours. The group consisted of me and 5 others. What is important to remember is that the assessor is in a position to put all you through, or none of you, depending on your individual performances. Thus, there is no need to be over-dominate or over-powering, you really need to work together and show you can work in a team after all a leader should know the importance of their team members.
    The day itself was not too bad, it was not overly formal and was not too stressful. At the start we were required to give a 2 min presentation introducing ourselves and what our fav aldi product was. This can be anything from a bottle of water to a special buy product, they are not testing your knowledge here but generally wanting to know more about you. Also make sure you are paying attention to other’s in your group as the assessor are also examining your abilities to concentrate on others also. Once this is done you move on to an individual/ group exercise which requires you to examine a job description and a collection of CV’s. This is actually really difficult as you have to present your findings to the director and then work as a team and negotiate who should be put forward. Again, you shouldn’t force yourself too much. They don’t want people being overly-bearing.
    After this you are required to fill out a form asking who worked well in the group and who didn’t ect… they take this into account to make sure you be truthful as they know if you are not being.
    After this you are given a 3 min presentation on a topic you are given 10 min before. I am not exactly sure what they were requiring in this, but I presume it is your ability to engage with an audience and the time to demonstrate your aldi knowledge. before the assessment concludes you have the chance to ask questions ect, this is very informal and comforting.

Interview Questions

• What is the most interesting thing you have found from your research
      what is your fav aldi product
      how many intems do we stock
      what skills have you got which you can bring to the job role
      1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Online tests personality tests and then in english and maths. After this i then got asked to do a video interview which is just 9 questions and you have 30 seconds to prep your answer before recording begins where you have to answer the question within 30 or 60 seconds.

Interview Questions

• Why ALDI??
      What have you found interesting about ALDI when visiting stores?
      Where do you see yourself in the short medium long term at ALDI?
      Why did you fit in with the role?
      1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Melbourne (Australia)) in January 2017.

Interview

I did the online application and then got an email inviting me to complete an online video interview within 7 days. The video interview you had 3 questions to answer, one minute to consider your answer and 2 minutes to record your answer. I found it difficult to think on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe a specific occasion where I demonstrated integrity and professionalism   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI in December 2016.

Interview

An application form followed by video interview, then a group assessment centre then a 1 to 1 interview. The video part was hardest, very little time to prepare and timer off putting when answering!

Interview Questions

• What do you think you will be doing short medium and long term   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied early November, passed the online tests and was invited to do a video interview in early December. I found all the questions through Glassdoor/student room, so had prepared framework answers to all of them which definitely helped me to pass it. I have now been given a place on a assessment day and was wondering if anyone who has already successfully been through the whole process could give me any advice/tips?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you have set high standards for yourself?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI in December 2016.

Interview

Started with online tests, then a video interview, then a 2 hour assessment centre in my chosen area.

In the AC the exercises were pretty straightforward: presentation then group exercise, followed by a survey and questionnaire.

Key is to show leadership qualities and understanding on how Aldi operate.

Group exercise was evaluating employee CVs to best match them to an available job

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atherstone, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ALDI (Atherstone, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

An initial lengthy online form. This was followed by online testing. I was then sent a link to complete a video interview within 7 days. The video interview had about 10 questions, each had a slightly different time limit. I would recommend using the practice software first as this helps you know what to expect. I was then invited to book an assessment centre date. The assessment centre was at the head office with 5 other candidates - they were all very friendly. Excellent experience overall even though I didn't get the role.

Area Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

It can take a considerable amount of time from start to finish. It took 6 month for the whole process from start to finish.

It is important to note that over 50,000 people apply for this role and approximately 100 positions are available. Everyone who applies feel they have the best experience and skills and so on but Aldi knows what they are looking for.

It all comes down to what you are like. They want someone who is not overly confident though as they want people that they can make them do their way of business. In a way it can come down to luck. During my group assessment I had people with barely any skills and experiences, or even a business mindset but that's what they want.

Do not feel discriminated but they do tend to go for very young area managers, straight from graduating but you may be lucky enough. This again is because they can make younger people do what they like.

The salary is great but you will be actually working 60-70 hours a week in your first year which I calculated comes to £13 an hour roughly, but I guess they give you a car.

Some advice for the group assessment and final interview.

Group assessment
    * Speak confidently and get involved although don't come across arrogant
    * Say your point and then ask someone else if they agree or what their opinion is
    * You will review some made up CV's and argue who you would recruit (think about distance, relationships, motivation, skills, commitment and reasons that would make them suitable)
    * You will present a topic to the others which is given to you on the day
    * Make sure you go to a store and talk to people or you will be clueless
    * When presenting about the store, do not talk bad, at mine people were complaining about lack of staff etc, Aldi is happy with the way its doing things so just compliment)
    * The topics will be about: Store Layout, till systems, staff, specialbuys, product range and maybe some more
    * make loads of notes about each of these, and bring them with you because you can use them on the day to present
    * Come presentable, clean shaven, suit

Final Interview
    * You will first meet an Area manager and then a regional director
    * You will walk around the store, ask questions, you will be asked questions about the products, what you know about Aldi etc
    * Clean shaven, nice suit, black shoes

*The day with the regional director lasts 30 minutes
    * It's a more casual chat, why your good for it, why Aldi, what you can bring
    * Talk about business, dont mention things they can change but instead talk about what you can influence.
    * For example, talk about pushing sales, ensuring KPI's are met, efficiency and use business terms.
    * They will really judge your appearance, make sure to shave before the interview, I shaved the night before and this was noticed, no skinny ties, black shoes only, don't take your jacket off. It may sound ridiculous but they are a German company and they are very strict with this.

Most important rule, never say anything bad about Aldi and do not take it personal if you don't get it or feel better than others. It is pure luck and they don't want people who are overly qualified.

If you actually look for Aldi area managers on LinkedIn and see their experiences, a lot do not even have business backgrounds, or great working experiences.

Interview Questions

• They want you to know about he Aldi business model so really research this.   2 Answers