ALDI Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

3.4

67 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ALDI in July 2009.

Interview

I met the company during a university recruiting event. They were lookin for mainly graduates only and you could easily tell. I went to the interview next day and spoke with the director of operations that hired the people. I came back for an on site interview with a group of people and they took us out to lunch and met with several different people throughout the day. Very long day.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to being the boss of a 45 year old store manager?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for ALDI

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ALDI (Leeds, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Video interview gave very little time for answers. Biggest time allowed was 1 minute and 30. Overall, 9 questions that are a mix of motivational and questions about Aldi themselves.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

First application form, then aptitude tests then video interview with 9 question, didn't get past the video interview though. Glassdoor has a lot of the questions you can be potentially asked and they give you 30 seconds to think and after that the recording automatically starts, they'll give you either 30 seconds or 1 minute to answer the question.

Interview Questions

• Name and regions you applied to
      Why Aldi
      Why are you the right person for this job
      Name something interesting about Aldi you found out in your research or from visiting aldi
      stores
      Where do you see yourself in the short, medium and long term?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI (Swindon, England) in October 2016.
    It's a relatively long process. I started my application in May 2016, I attended the assessment centre in October 2017.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the placement will entail?
      What were/are you studying and how will this benefit you in the role you are applying for?
      Tell me about your experience so far?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      An example of drive and ambition?
      What you did to achieve this ambition?
      Why you are proud of this example?
      Example of Time you set high standards?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

My main advice would be to utilise all of the resources available online without allowing them to build a negative perception of the process for you as it has been pleasant experience in my experience. It's important not to allow the negative experiences of others to affect you as it can cause unnecessary nerves.

There is plenty of information on here regarding all of the steps up until the assessment centre, all of which is fairly accurate and useful.

With regards to the assessment centre, it is challenging and preparation is key. That being said, it is nothing out of the ordinary if you are accustomed to group assessment settings. There were three of us present, all of us whom had our own strengths and were friendly with one another. Give others a chance and show empathy but prove yourself as a leader. Visit more than one Aldi store if you can, speak to employees and observe absolutely everything from the moment you enter the store until you walk out. We were allowed to take notes into the Assessment Centre so it was useful to have my observations noted down to present.

The one-to-one interview was incredibly challenging, make sure you are prepared to talk about yourself, your life, your family and your background in a lot of detail. Be prepared to go into extensive detail regarding each of your work experiences. It almost felt like a debate at times, allow your passion for the role to show. If you are prepared and truly want the job, you will do fine. I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI (Bolton, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

It's a relatively long process. I started my application in March 2017, I attended the assessment centre in September 2017.

The first stages are relatively straightforward, application, psychometric tests and video interview. I thought the tests were relatively easy compared to other graduate schemes out there.

At the assessment centre you will usually be one of six, however, in my instance there was only three of us, the other three did not seem to turn up. There were two female assessors, both very friendly and accomodating. The day comprised of short introduction (name, a bit about your studies/work and favourite Aldi product) and then first tast requires all candidates to read through applications for a job role and choose the candidate that you think best matches this. You then have 2 minutes each to present your choice and then 20 minutes to confer and choose one out of all of them between all of you. You will then present this as a group to the assesor who plays the role of a managing director and will ask some challenging questions.

The second task is the presentation from your store walk which you are asked to complete before the interview. As there were only three of us I do not know what all of the topics were but the topics that we got assigned were staff, customer behaviour and specialbuys. You have 10 minutes to prepare and 3 minutes to present. They will then ask a few questions afterwards.

The real challenge is actually finding the place, especially if you travel via public transport. They also do not refund travel costs, so it can be quite an expensive trip to make - especially if you do not pass this stage.

Interview Questions

• After my presentation (my topic was specialbuys) what days do they change.   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ALDI (Croydon, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The store walk involved what it said on the tin, a walk around the store, but that was coupled with a set of questions about the store business model and what issues might occur which prevent the company from doing certain things or what things they were thinking of put in place. This store walk lasted about 15 mins and was then followed by a mini interview with the area manager

Interview Questions

• What makes you perfect for the role?   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI (Melbourne (Australia)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then they asked for online interview, I assume everybody actually ask for online interview, that video interview. It asked 3 questions, each question 2 minutes to answer

Interview Questions

• What will you do as a leader? More towards this kind of questions, and how you deal with the difficult situation?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Following an online personality test, skills test and video interview, I was invited to attend a group assessment at one of Aldi's regional head offices.

Within the invitation, candidates were asked to do a store walk in preparation for a 3-minute presentation on any topic given to candidates on the day. Although the wording of the invite sounds relaxed, don't be fooled! Spend plenty of time in-store, take extensive notes for the presentations and get to know as many details about the business as you can. Speak with staff in-store and, if possible, ask a Store Manager or Assistant Manager to go round the store to highlight important aspects of the business.

The assessment started with a round of introductions followed by the presentations. The topics given on the day were: how staff operate; products; Special Buys, and customer experience. Be sure to know as many facts and figures as you can e.g. the current number of products sold, how this compares to rivals, average store size, when special buys are introduced each week, etc.

The presentations were followed by an open group discussion about any aspect of the business. Our group spoke about the possibility of introducing self-service tills, advocated by one or two of the candidates, but ultimately agreed to be a poor fit for Aldi's business model.

This was followed by an exercise in which information was given to the group about prospective candidates for selection to a special project to improve efficiency at the till which was to be rolled out across the UK. Each individual had to make a selection as to who they thought would be best, come to a group decision and then present this decision to the assessor. The assessor then challenged the decision, based on information previously unknown to the group, for the group to defend.

At the end, candidates were asked to assess their performance and the performance of the other candidates via a written survey. Throughout the assessment, the assessor sat at the far end of a long table and was generally curt and aloof. The whole assessment experience reflected the toughness of the role and Aldi's corporate culture.

Although the salary/benefits package are attractive and the role dynamic, my main reaction on not being selected for the final interview was one of relief. Speaking with someone who'd previously undertaken the role revealed it demands absolute dedication to Aldi, limited scope for individuality and very poor work-life balance.

Should you get through to the final interview stage, make sure you know everything you can about Aldi as a business and be clear that this is the right career step for you.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Applied a couple of years ago... Easy application - just a CV. Straight to group interview... Very little time to display competencies. Mainly taken up by the MD ranting about how difficult the scheme is. Just one person interviewing. I feel like more could have been put into the interview process to allow candidates to prove themselves.