ALDI Area Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ALDI Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

3.4

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ALDI in July 2009.

Interview

I met the company during a university recruiting event. They were lookin for mainly graduates only and you could easily tell. I went to the interview next day and spoke with the director of operations that hired the people. I came back for an on site interview with a group of people and they took us out to lunch and met with several different people throughout the day. Very long day.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to being the boss of a 45 year old store manager?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ALDI

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Applied a couple of years ago... Easy application - just a CV. Straight to group interview... Very little time to display competencies. Mainly taken up by the MD ranting about how difficult the scheme is. Just one person interviewing. I feel like more could have been put into the interview process to allow candidates to prove themselves.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atherstone, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (Atherstone, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online, completed situational judgement questions, passed and was then sent psychometric tests. These were challenging but not too hard. After this came the online interview. As others have said, this involved 10 questions which you are given 30 seconds to read and then 30-120 seconds to record your answer to. It is worth preparing and rehearsing your answers to these just so that you are clear and coherent on the day. The questions were:
    1) Why Aldi?
    2) Introduce yourself
    3) Tell us something interesting you found out about ALDI?
    4) Why are you suited to the role?
    5)What's your favourite ALDI product?
    6) Give an example of a time you've set high standards for yourself
    7) Tell us something you're proud of
    8) Give an example of a time you have set high standards for yourself
    9) Give an example of a time you've had to be ambitious for yourself

I can't remember the last one but this list prepare you well.

After this I was invited to an assessment day where I gave a presentation on one aspect of my ALDI store walk, I was given customer behaviour and I was prepared for this because I had made notes on: customer behaviour, special buys, PR and marketing, till systems, instore adverts and product range.

We then worked as a group on a recruitment task.

I was then offered a final MD interview 3 days later. The whole process has taken 5 months so far.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think ALDI has become more popular in the last 10 years?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ALDI (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online using an online application form where I had to answer a question about a situation I had to lead from the front and the outcome of my action.

Recorded video interview with 3 questions. It is focused on your past experiences. Still waiting to see if I got through to the next stage.

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Group interview stage:

First you introduce yourself and then you talk about a specific aldi product that you like and why.

Then there is a group task in which you all have to deciding the best employee to head a project from a selection with personality and career reviews.

Finally you have to present your speech on a topic you are allocated by the interviewer.
    The hardest bit is the questions that they ask you on your presentation.

Interview Questions

• What did you notice about the outside of the store you visited?   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wirral, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (Wirral, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process has been incredibly positive for me. It started with a lengthy online application followed by situational judgement tests. A few days after completing this I was asked to take some maths tests which were difficult but not impossible and I didn't do any preparation prior to doing these texts. Then I was invited to do a one-way video interview which took around 5-10 mins to complete. This included questions such as: 1) Which region have you applied to? 2) Why Aldi? 3) What have you found out about Aldi in your research? 4) Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 5) Describe a set-back you have faced and how you overcame it. Can't remember any more but you get the gist.
    I was then invited to attend an assessment day. When I say day it was around 2 hours. There were 7 candidates in total. We were first asked by a very friendly interviewer to briefly introduce ourselves and describe our favourite Aldi product. This was followed by a group exercise where we had a few mins to review some CVs alone, choose one and individually present it to the group. The aim is to agree together on one candidate so try and persuade them to choose yours, even if its the wrong one in the end. I found that I was a bit quiet during this exercise and there were a couple of people who took over the discussion but I just tried to make sure I was involved without shouting over anyone, was often hard to get a word in edgeways. After this we had to do a 3 min presentation on a random topic. I had found out 6 of the topics beforehand on Glassdoor and had prepared a presentation about each one, I also took in notes in a smart black folder which was allowed. All of these topics came up in the interview however I was given a new topic I hadn't read about before and so hadn't prepared but I improvised and it was fine. The topics are: Staff, Customer Behaviour, Special Buys, Product Range, Store Layout, Till Systems and PR Marketing & Instore Advertisements. You are then asked a couple of questions about what you've presented. We then got the chance to ask our own questions and then we left. All in all this was a good day, well structured, interviewers were lovely.
    Around 3 weeks later I was invited to a final interviewer with the Regional Managing Director. This consisted mainly of questions about myself, my personal life, my upbringing, my hobbies, my degree etc, with a couple of competency based questions. MD was very friendly and put me at ease.
    One week later I received an offer via phone :)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your life from 0 to 22?   2 Answers

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (Bolton, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied to Aldi in October 2016, the process comprised of an online application form, some online verbal reasoning tests, a video interview and an assessment day.
    The application itself is not very hard, just requires you to demonstrate some understanding of the business model and their pursuit for efficiency in all that they do. These can easily be retrieved online or instore. I wouldn’t get so caught up on the application as I believe everyone gets moved onto the online test stage anyway.
    The tests themselves again are not too difficult. I am not the best at Maths or English yet I managed to pass them. Despite what the internet says, you do not get retested on these, so I guess you can get people to assist you however it does say to do it on your own.
    I am not sure how long it took to discover whether I passed but I remember it not being too long. I was thereafter invited to undertake a 5 min video interview. This comprises of 9 questions which you get 30 secs to prepare for. My advice for this is to be yourself completely, here they are looking for personality and confidence. Not one of the questions are there to trip you up, and I am sure you can find many of the questions online.
    I was thereafter invited to an assessment day, which lasts around 3 hours. The group consisted of me and 5 others. What is important to remember is that the assessor is in a position to put all you through, or none of you, depending on your individual performances. Thus, there is no need to be over-dominate or over-powering, you really need to work together and show you can work in a team after all a leader should know the importance of their team members.
    The day itself was not too bad, it was not overly formal and was not too stressful. At the start we were required to give a 2 min presentation introducing ourselves and what our fav aldi product was. This can be anything from a bottle of water to a special buy product, they are not testing your knowledge here but generally wanting to know more about you. Also make sure you are paying attention to other’s in your group as the assessor are also examining your abilities to concentrate on others also. Once this is done you move on to an individual/ group exercise which requires you to examine a job description and a collection of CV’s. This is actually really difficult as you have to present your findings to the director and then work as a team and negotiate who should be put forward. Again, you shouldn’t force yourself too much. They don’t want people being overly-bearing.
    After this you are required to fill out a form asking who worked well in the group and who didn’t ect… they take this into account to make sure you be truthful as they know if you are not being.
    After this you are given a 3 min presentation on a topic you are given 10 min before. I am not exactly sure what they were requiring in this, but I presume it is your ability to engage with an audience and the time to demonstrate your aldi knowledge. before the assessment concludes you have the chance to ask questions ect, this is very informal and comforting.

Interview Questions

• What is the most interesting thing you have found from your research
      what is your fav aldi product
      how many intems do we stock
      what skills have you got which you can bring to the job role
      1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ALDI in February 2017.

Interview

Quick timeline of my application process:
    1. First applied mid November 2016
    2. Completed the psychometric online tests and video interview early December
    3. Assessment centre late January
    4. Final interview with the regional MD mid February.
    I've not heard anything regarding if I have been successful or not, and its been over 2 weeks now...slightly strange as everyone else seems to agree that Aldi are very quick with giving their verdict on the outcome of the final interview. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Interview Questions

• Talk me through your life so far in chronological order from 0 to 23   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Online tests personality tests and then in english and maths. After this i then got asked to do a video interview which is just 9 questions and you have 30 seconds to prep your answer before recording begins where you have to answer the question within 30 or 60 seconds.

Interview Questions

• Why ALDI??
      What have you found interesting about ALDI when visiting stores?
      Where do you see yourself in the short medium long term at ALDI?
      Why did you fit in with the role?
      1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ALDI (Chelmsford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Online Application - included application questions about Aldi and extra curricular experience.
    Online Tests - personality tests, numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning.
    Video Interview - five minute video interview. Approx 30 seconds to answer each question.
    Assessment Centre - small group of six in total at the regional head office (Chelmsford).
    Store visit with a current Area Manager - visited the Enfield store in the Chelmsford region.
    Final Interview - one on one interview with the Regional Director, followed by an interview with the Operations Director.

Aldi are efficient in letting you know the outcome of each stage relatively quickly. However they are extremely poor regarding feedback; they do not offer any at all. Despite reaching the final stage and then being rejected, they said they could not offer me feedback due to the number of applications. I accept this after the Assessment Centre stage but do not think it is acceptable to treat candidates who have reached the final stage in this manner. Interviews are also a learning process and it is hard to improve if you do not know what went wrong. In addition, there are plenty of other graduate schemes that interview considerably more people and still offer feedback.

Aldi also do not cover expenses at all, which is poor as quite a lot of travelling is required.

Interview Questions

• At the assessment centre you have to do a three minute presentation about an Aldi store on a topic that they give to you.   Answer Question
    • On the store visit, the Area Manager will ask for your opinion on things that you notice in store.   1 Answer