ALDI Interview Questions in Batavia, IL | Glassdoor

3.3

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Corporate Buying Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL).

Interview

Intense, long, stressful. Initial phone interview with HR, then in-person interview with a director and HR, then another interview with Director and their boss. Super intense, no easy questions. Process can take awhile as the schedules have to be coordinated. The rooms are stark and sterile, which adds to the precision of the interviews. The job description is clearly given in as much detail as they can possibly give so you are aware of what you are getting into. I was not shown the building at all so I had no idea what the office space looked like but other co-workers were shown the building during their process.

Interview Questions

• What kind of cookie would you describe yourself as and why?   1 Answer

Corporate Buyer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL).

Interview

Lengthy, challenging, and ultimately....a waste of time. A recruiting agency received my resume and contacted me. I did a short phone interview with their recruiter and then submitted results of a wpm typing test. I was then scheduled for a Skype interview which is when the recruiter finally told me that the position was not actually for a technology company (like I was led to believe) but instead for Aldi corporate. The Skype interview went well and I submitted my resume again via a secure portal and filled out applications for both the recruiting agency and ALDI. I also consented to a background check. My recruiter told me to set aside about 2 hours in order to go through a series of online assessment tests (math skills, reading comprehension, wpm again, Word, Excel etc) I did so on a Thursday and since the tests were challenging I took my time before selecting each answer- especially since I was not allowed to go back and change my answers. There was no time limit but of course my results would record how long I took. I was told that Aldi did not require these tests per se but that it was helpful in proving my strengths and vetting me as an applicant. I was eventually told that I did very well on all of my tests and that Aldi would love to do a phone interview with me. My phone interview took place on that following Tuesday and seemed to go very well. I was very prepared and my recruiter told me what to expect. The interviewer seemed cold but optimistic. I was told to expect a response within two days max. It was an entire week later that my recruiter finally notified me that Aldi was no longer interested in me as an applicant because while I scored very high I also took my time in completing the tests (less than the recommended 2 hours!). My recruiter communicated that they were confused with Aldi's reasoning and that they were even disappointed because they thought I was a great candidate and very qualified for the job and most of all- timing was NOT part of the grading scale for the tests. This entire process has become a giant waste of time and I should have never agreed to take these tests. I completely understand if they decided I wasn't the right person for the job or someone else was just a better fit but if that decision was REALLY based on my test results then why did they move forward with a phone interview almost a whole week later??? I would have loved some real and honest feedback instead of some poor excuse that makes no sense. Clearly, there's another unspoken reason as to why I wasn't considered any further....

Corporate Buying Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position online, received an email about a week later from the HR department to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was pretty straight forward approx. 20 min long where they went over the job description, asked why I had applied, etc. Next there were online assessments to complete. These were 4 online assessments, Word, Excel, Reading Comprehension and Typing, and these took just under 2 hrs to complete. Once these were completed I had an in-person interview with the two buying directors. Interview was business professional. The directors stated that this interview was an informal interview to get to know you. They read questions off a packet. The interview was around 30 mins long. I was really looking forward to the position and I had done extremely well on the online assessments. After about a week I got a generic no reply email from HR stating that they would not be extending an offer. They was no feedback as to why. The whole process took around 3.5 weeks. Considering that the HR recruiter was great on following up throughout the whole process I was disappointed that I was not giving a phone call or feedback regarding why the I was not extended an offer as this process was time consuming.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of nothing more than walking through my work history and a couple of standard phone screen questions. It was probably the most insincere 15 minute phone screen that I have experienced in my professional career. The person that I spoke to had clearly made up their mind not to move forward with my candidacy before even speaking to me which was made evident by the fact that they hadn’t even looked over my resume before the phone call and by the generic rejection email I received less than 24 hours later.

A few words of advice for candidates thinking about applying for openings at Aldi, “Don’t waste your time.” You could be a perfect match for a role in every aspect yet it is highly unlikely that your resume will ever wind up in front of a hiring manager. I speak from the experience of having “Inside knowledge” as to how their recruiting process works as well as from having applied and interviewed for several positions at the company for which I am highly qualified. Aldi would find great benefit from considering the following advice. You are missing out on so many great candidates because you don’t know how to evaluate talent properly and you are developing a reputation as an employer that treats candidates poorly.

First, find some real recruiting talent. The corporate buying assistants that you have conducting phone screens are not qualified or properly trained for the work that they are doing. They have no idea what type of questions to ask candidates and have no clue what skills or experience they are looking for. The last one that I spoke to asked me if I had a skill that was listed in the job description and then proceeded to tell me that they didn’t even know what that skill was. Good recruiters know what they are looking for and know what questions to ask in order to find the best candidates; asking me to read my resume to someone over the phone is a waste of my time.

Second, write better job descriptions. Listing half a dozen tasks that you expect the role to perform and then citing a couple of hard skills that you desire probably opens the floodgates and dilutes your applicant pool which is why you are quick to dismiss good candidates. If you don’t make your job descriptions detailed and specific you are going to be overwhelmed with applicants and you are going to easily miss the good ones.

Third, get past the mentality that external hires are bad. Your company could experience tremendous growth if you could be humble enough to understand that you could benefit greatly from hiring outside talent. Although I respect the “Promote from within” mentality your business has a lot of needs that individuals with only operational experience cannot fill. Believe it or not there are good candidates that can help you even though they didn’t go through your district manager training program. Put more faith in referrals from your current employees; in my experience some of the best hires come from internal referrals.

Finally, don’t be so afraid to try something different. I know that Aldi is ultra conservative, slow to change, and likes to embrace the “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality, but you need to get past that. Don’t be so afraid of someone that has new ideas. In case you haven’t noticed new ideas are necessary for growth; if you don’t embrace that mindset you are libel to get left in the dust. The seven most dangerous words in the English language are, “We have always done it that way.”

Purchasing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL).

Interview

You will do a minimum of 3 face to face interviews. You will have two separate interviews with Buying Directors and the last interview with one of them and their boss.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you about your organizational and multi-tasking skills. If you don't have them, don't apply. You will need them for this job.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Awkward, stiff and overly formal interview process. The finance directors are STORE OPERATORS who have risen the corporate ranks, they ARE NOT finance professionals. They want to hire experienced finance professionals to come in and take orders and be satisfied with limited to no job growth. Very much an "us" (ALDI born and bred) vs. "them" (external hire) mentality which was extremely obvious in our discussions. "Job description" provided to me by the recruiter is basically a corporate manual from 1990 with a bunch of legal jargon, not the typical highlighting of key functional responsibilities of the role. The interviewer made me uncomfortable. Right off the bat, he let me know that a standard background check would be conducted (okay, standard procedure) and if they found anything suspect in my background, discussions would immediately terminate. Uhhh....okay? I'm a white collar professional interviewing for a $125K+/year job and you're talking to me like I was recently released from the pen. It was just totally weird. The feedback I got was that my style and personality would "rub management the wrong way" which basically means I wasn't seen as a "yes man" (nor should I have been - I have a lot of work experience with world-class organizations and have held positions of seniority and responsibility and have a track record of proven results). There are no annual merit raises and no bonuses given at HQ even at manager+ level, which is not industry standard. I was also told to not expect any kind of quick promotional opportunity, if ever. I mean, they still wear SUITS. I've been wearing jeans to work since 2008 with very "major" organizations. They wear SUITS. They act like suits. Don't even bother here unless you like a formal, stuffy, old-school environment and are okay with having no opportunities to advance. NEVER AGAIN!

Interview Questions

• He asked if I was okay with possibly never being promoted.   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Interview

I attended an interview fair at a hotel near the Batavia, IL Aldi Corporate Headquarters. The large meeting room was occupied with interviewers as well as a stream of interviewees coming and going. I came prepared and had completed my online application the night before instead of completing it onsite. It actually took longer to fill out the application than the 5-minute interview. Evidently, the 5-minute interview is designed as a screening, and if the candidate makes the cut, they move to the next round. I didn't make the cut; however, I was extremely disappointed in the VERY RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL manner in which the interviewer conducted the interview. She asked me a series of questions, and during that time, she would not look at me. Instead, she was preoccupied with something over my shoulder. She was barely listening. It's quite obvious she didn't make a connection with me and could really care less about my skills and qualifications. I was dressed appropriately and professionally and I have an impressive background with solid references. As a matter of fact, an employer of the hotel complimented me on my outfit. As far as the interview, I know that the answers I provided were on point. It really makes wish I had one of the other interviewers because for some reason I was judged upon negatively by this woman. On the other hand, there were 10 openings, and I've since heard the reason there are so many openings is because of the high turnaround with Aldi, Batavia, IL. I deserve a better atmosphere with people who respect and care about me anyhow!

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working as an Assistant Buyer?   1 Answer

Buying Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

First round is a phone interview. Second and third rounds are in person with mangers and directors. Very in depth and thorough interview process. Many consumer behavioral questions as well as situational questions. Be ready to have questions to ask as well. Very professional but comfortable environment. They are a lean company and don't offer title growth but do offer growth in position responsibilities. German based company so I had the advantage of knowing how that office environment is. Strict and conservative.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you disagreed with a supervisor's decision and what did you do?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Aldi   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • Why did you leave your last job?   1 Answer
    • How do you prioritize your work?   1 Answer

Buying Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

Long and exhausting process. One or two phone interviews, in-person interview with two buying directors, then pre-employment assessment test, then final interview again with two buying directors. All of that just to receive "we will not be extending an offer to you at this time" letter a week later.

The entire process took 1.5 months with 1.5-2 weeks in between each step.

I wish they just said no to me in the very beginning and did not drag me through an interview process. Such a waste of time and energy.

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Face-to-face interview. Approx. 1 hr. Met w/ 2 DM'S and was told I'd be contacted w/in 7-10 days for potential second interview. Never rec'd offer. Overall, it was average, going over work history and ability to do a lot of stocking/janitorial/cashier duties.