ALDI Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017
1,215 Interview Reviews

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (State College, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Online application through college portal.
    On-campus interview. If selected for the next round, will be called on-site in about a week.
    Final decision will be out in two- three days of on-site interview

Interview Questions

• Tell about your leadership role.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of nothing more than walking through my work history and a couple of standard phone screen questions. It was probably the most insincere 15 minute phone screen that I have experienced in my professional career. The person that I spoke to had clearly made up their mind not to move forward with my candidacy before even speaking to me which was made evident by the fact that they hadn’t even looked over my resume before the phone call and by the generic rejection email I received less than 24 hours later.

A few words of advice for candidates thinking about applying for openings at Aldi, “Don’t waste your time.” You could be a perfect match for a role in every aspect yet it is highly unlikely that your resume will ever wind up in front of a hiring manager. I speak from the experience of having “Inside knowledge” as to how their recruiting process works as well as from having applied and interviewed for several positions at the company for which I am highly qualified. Aldi would find great benefit from considering the following advice. You are missing out on so many great candidates because you don’t know how to evaluate talent properly and you are developing a reputation as an employer that treats candidates poorly.

First, find some real recruiting talent. The corporate buying assistants that you have conducting phone screens are not qualified or properly trained for the work that they are doing. They have no idea what type of questions to ask candidates and have no clue what skills or experience they are looking for. The last one that I spoke to asked me if I had a skill that was listed in the job description and then proceeded to tell me that they didn’t even know what that skill was. Good recruiters know what they are looking for and know what questions to ask in order to find the best candidates; asking me to read my resume to someone over the phone is a waste of my time.

Second, write better job descriptions. Listing half a dozen tasks that you expect the role to perform and then citing a couple of hard skills that you desire probably opens the floodgates and dilutes your applicant pool which is why you are quick to dismiss good candidates. If you don’t make your job descriptions detailed and specific you are going to be overwhelmed with applicants and you are going to easily miss the good ones.

Third, get past the mentality that external hires are bad. Your company could experience tremendous growth if you could be humble enough to understand that you could benefit greatly from hiring outside talent. Although I respect the “Promote from within” mentality your business has a lot of needs that individuals with only operational experience cannot fill. Believe it or not there are good candidates that can help you even though they didn’t go through your district manager training program. Put more faith in referrals from your current employees; in my experience some of the best hires come from internal referrals.

Finally, don’t be so afraid to try something different. I know that Aldi is ultra conservative, slow to change, and likes to embrace the “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality, but you need to get past that. Don’t be so afraid of someone that has new ideas. In case you haven’t noticed new ideas are necessary for growth; if you don’t embrace that mindset you are libel to get left in the dust. The seven most dangerous words in the English language are, “We have always done it that way.”

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Ellyn, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Glen Ellyn, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Attend a hiring event and turn in an application to hiring manager or fill one out there. Then answer a question that is asked by the hiring manager. Then they tell you that they will can you in seven to ten business days.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at aldi?   2 Answers

District Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

2 rounds with a pre interview dinner. First interview basic. Second interview they took me to there campus in Denton. Visited a store that day with them also. They had a car service sent to my school to pick us up which was very nice.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Applied on university recruiting site, interviewed on campus. If you apply, you will get interviewed. You will be invited to a info session prior to the interview to learn more about Aldi. They seemed to already determined who were going to get pick. They showed no interest in me.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest decision you have had to make in your life and what did you decide?   Answer Question

District Manager Inter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Windsor, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ALDI (South Windsor, CT).

Interview

The first interview was a one-on-one with a campus recruiter, it went great. This was followed by a short online assessment and an invitation to a second interview at their office in CT. Upon entering the room, i was greeted by 4 gentlemen. One being another campus recruiter, the other two were important but I can't recall their titles (spring 2016) and the last gentleman was a senior personnel (highest title in the room). It was awkward and extremely uncomfortable having the senior gentle present because he was doing paperwork the whole time which is reasonable if you're just that busy but throughout the interview i tried to establish eye contact but it never happened and his body language was just unfriendly and unprofessional. Thank god for the campus recruiter because he was the only person in the room behaving like a human and made the interview bearable (we were the only ones talking). When the interview was done, there was still no sign of warmth from the senior gentleman who nonverbally controlled the room. He didn't bothered to ask for my transcript but gathering from the interview I knew I didn't get the internship and no longer had respect for the gentlemans (except recruiter). This was my first bad interview experience, ever. However, one can always learn from every experience. What initially attracted me to the internship was the level of responsibility that would be given and lets not forget the great compensation package but don't let that fool you. While all that is glitter is not always gold, I realized that even though my skills and work ethics may have matched the position, I didn't match the company culture. If you are someone who can follow the rules 100% and speak when you're told to speak, then this internship is perfect for you. My suspicion is that the culture is probably positive around peers and managers but that it would be wise to put on your robotic personally when you're in front of a senior personnel. Otherwise, the idea of working 60+ hours with another company for lower pay with a better culture fit seems more pleasing.

Interview Questions

• Average interview questions, its just a matter of trying to finish the interview as soon as possible so that you can exit the room.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Greenwood, IN).

Interview

I first spoke to ALDI at a college career fair, followed by a nice dinner on campus, an on campus interview, online assessment, and on site interview speaking to many different managers.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw an employee take 10$ from the register?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at ALDI (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Was in stockroom and employee came in to grab stuff and start knocking things around which was uncomfortable. Behavioral based questions. Your basic interview. Nothing too special just know about the company and be able to sell your experiences.

Interview Questions

• What kind of environment do you want to work in?   1 Answer

Purchasing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Batavia, IL).

Interview

You will do a minimum of 3 face to face interviews. You will have two separate interviews with Buying Directors and the last interview with one of them and their boss.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you about your organizational and multi-tasking skills. If you don't have them, don't apply. You will need them for this job.   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawano, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ALDI (Shawano, WI) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a "meet and greet" to drop off the application. The employee did not even introduce herself. I was expecting this to be more professional; I was not pleased with this aspect. When I heard it was a "hire event," I was actually expecting an interview. I wish I had known about the Glassdoor website prior to me going to apply; it would have been beneficial to know how their process works.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the job requirements?   1 Answer