ALDI Shift Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

2.6

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I interviewed at ALDI (Miami, FL) in December 2017.

Interview

I received direction from the ALDI website in regards to interviews being held for Store Associates, Shift Managers and Manager Trainee. I filled out an application from Home, touched up my resume and pressed my outfit for the interview. I drove an hour and paid several dollars in tolls and finally arrived. When I got to the conference room they had a ton of people filling out applications.

The man sitting at the table asked me if I had an application filled out or if I needed one. I told him I had one filled out and handed it to him. He looked it over and asked what I was looking for. I said any form of management. He stated that they promote from within and that I would need open availability to apply for full time anything. He said I would have to start off as an hourly associate. I stated I had been a store manager, assistant store manager and had over 13 years as a retail manager. I laughed at him and said your hourly associate salary wouldn’t even pay my $50,000 vehicle payment. I then thanked him for wasting my time and walked out.

Don’t waste your time with these people! They’re obviously having staffing issues when you see them renting out hotel rooms across the country for hiring conventions. I was truly insulted and irritated that they would waste my time and money with false ads representing interviews that didn’t exist. We had another Manager I worked with leave The Home Depot to only be lied to and quit ALDI in just days. Guess he was right!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ALDI

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fountain Valley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ALDI (Fountain Valley, CA).

Interview

Sent in Resume and Cover Email to online ad.
    Received call within next couple days to schedule in-person interview with DM.
    Interview with DM was quick, and relatively easy--they really want hard workers! Addressed a lot of the "problems" you'll see on Glassdoor reviews about the shift pay that changes (apparently at least in this area, they are trying to move away from that pay structure due to complaints!), and how their store generally runs. They also straight up say that they run very lean, so if you want this job you should highlight examples of when you worked with a lean crew. Was told there would be 4 interviews, and thoroughly explained how training would go. Also they proudly shared all the benefits you'd get--honestly, a LOT of good benefits!
    Within the hour, got call from the Store Manager to schedule In-Person interview and our schedules aligned that I was able to come in that same day.
    The interview with SM was less formal but a lot more insightful into the manager you would be working with directly as well as how the store generally runs. Fairly simple questions again and a great chance to really connect with SM and learn about your position.
    Was given a call within couple of days from DM to schedule 3rd interview with another upper executive, but at this point I declined to continue the interview process--the position and leadership team were all great, but I had personal reasons to decline. They were very fast to move you along and not waste your time, and told me after each interview how I did!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Aldi?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Collierville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ALDI (Collierville, TN) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process is fairly simple. They ask you the normal questions any job would ask like what do you want to work for aldi, why should we choose you, what do you know about aldi. I would definitely know somethings about aldi before the interview because you will be asked.

Interview Questions

• What is my favorite restaurant & why? (This question was asked to determine the way I view establishments & if my views aligned with aldi. )   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stafford Place, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ALDI (Stafford Place, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

Fairly quick. First was with general manager, second was with store manager. About two days later after the store manager interview I received a phone call asking if I would accept the position and to come in that day to fill out paperwork.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lower Burrell, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ALDI (Lower Burrell, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

A table was set up in front of the registers where applicants were lined up for a quick standing interview. One person was asking a few general questions while quickly reviewing the application. Another person was observing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ALDI (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

group interview with a store tour. the ALDI personnel were vague when asked about upward mobility, it seems once in the store always in the store. The answers were hedged with well this is a path to corporate yeah you can do it- didn't seem promising. Also the District Managers were straight out of college and had very little REAL grocery experience.

Interview Questions

• Why did you go to college if you wanted to work in a grocery store   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hiram, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Hiram, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied in-person. Attended a hiring event and turn in an application to hiring manager. The gay told me that they are not hiring shift managers for two of the stores which close by where I live. But they will hire in a few months. Even though usually they promote people from associate which already working there. I said okay I can start as a cushier.

Interview Questions

• Do you know that you will have to lift up to 45 pounds?   1 Answer
    • What do you like in ALDI? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ALDI (Columbus, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

Aldi is a big jock. After their advertisement they are hiring for shift manager I dropped my resume at this store. Next day, I got called for an interview and I went there and his manager said they don't hire anyone for that position directly . They only offered a sales associate position. Then, why are you calling me and asking to come for an interview when I applied for shift manager position. Total waste of time. Never ever had an experience like this before.

Anonymous Employee in Lumberton, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ALDI (Lumberton, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied in person on Nov 28th. Was brought in for a group interview. There was five of us total. We started out with introducing ourselves, with names and current/past jobs. We walked through the store to see how everything was set up in the morning. When the walk through was over, we sat down and all had to answer three different questions. Everyone I met was very professional and nice. At the very end of the interview, the area manager let us know it would be no later than Friday for a call back, for a one on one interview. Honestly this was the most professional interview I've ever been to, and I'm glad I got the opportunity. I do wish I had participated more in the interview, and more questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do of you saw an employee take a Snickers bar and eat it while working?   1 Answer
    • What would I bring to Aldi's?   2 Answers
    • Tell what experience you have had with building display.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Atlanta, GA) in June 2016.

Interview

Went to the hiring event that was advertised. My recommendation is to have the employment application typed up by using adobe or any PDF editor. This shows preparation and make sure you dressed business casual. I went to the hiring event and there was a huge line, there was only one person accepting applications and it was the district manager. When I was called, I was asked about employment history and why I want to work for Aldi. My suggestion is that to explain them briefly, if you have retail experience I would say how many years, as this caught the district manager's attention for me. He informed me that they will call if interested. Five days passed and I received a group text from him wanting to setup a group interview with six others. Keep this in mind, that a group interview does NOT MEAN you are favored to be hired in as the Process has four steps which are: Hiring Event, Group Interview, Store Manager Interview and a final interview with the District Manager. At the group interview, they showed us around the store and how typical operations work. He also quizzed us on several things that are common sense, so if you want to get notice I recommend speaking up! Towards the end he ask us individually about employment history, attributes that you have and why we want to work for Aldi. Make sure you are sound in you answers as they have a grading sheet that will determine your eligibility for hire. After that he told us that if they were interested that they will call us. I got a call two hours later from him stating about setting a Store manager interview the next day, and he also followed up on the group interview. At the Store Manager interview I saw pretty much the same people from the group interview. Once in the interview the manger asked us about the group interview and he told us about general expectations of a Aldi employee. I recommend giving he/she your resume and answer and ask any questions you have. KEEP THIS IN MIND, that the store manager is also grading on your responses! The store manger also told me that if interested they would call back. So I receive a call back for the FINAL interview with the District Manger, ""If you reach this stage, you are pretty much in"""!! However I did not see two others from the group interview, which means that only four of us were hired for my location!! Overall only four of us out off 300 hundred potential candidates were hired. Finally the District manager told me that EVERYONE has to started at the bottom, so pretty much if you applied for shift manger, store manager trainee your are going to start off as an associate. Meh!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      What was one of the physical jobs you had?
      Why did you want to work for ALDI?
      What are your personal attributes?
      If you were a car, what car would you be?   2 Answers