ALDI Shift Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ALDI Shift Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hiram, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Hiram, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied in-person. Attended a hiring event and turn in an application to hiring manager. The gay told me that they are not hiring shift managers for two of the stores which close by where I live. But they will hire in a few months. Even though usually they promote people from associate which already working there. I said okay I can start as a cushier.

Interview Questions

• Do you know that you will have to lift up to 45 pounds?   1 Answer
  • What do you like in ALDI? Why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ALDI

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ALDI (Charlotte, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

group interview with a store tour. the ALDI personnel were vague when asked about upward mobility, it seems once in the store always in the store. The answers were hedged with well this is a path to corporate yeah you can do it- didn't seem promising. Also the District Managers were straight out of college and had very little REAL grocery experience.

Interview Questions

• Why did you go to college if you wanted to work in a grocery store   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ALDI (Columbus, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

Aldi is a big jock. After their advertisement they are hiring for shift manager I dropped my resume at this store. Next day, I got called for an interview and I went there and his manager said they don't hire anyone for that position directly . They only offered a sales associate position. Then, why are you calling me and asking to come for an interview when I applied for shift manager position. Total waste of time. Never ever had an experience like this before.

Anonymous Employee in Lumberton, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ALDI (Lumberton, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied in person on Nov 28th. Was brought in for a group interview. There was five of us total. We started out with introducing ourselves, with names and current/past jobs. We walked through the store to see how everything was set up in the morning. When the walk through was over, we sat down and all had to answer three different questions. Everyone I met was very professional and nice. At the very end of the interview, the area manager let us know it would be no later than Friday for a call back, for a one on one interview. Honestly this was the most professional interview I've ever been to, and I'm glad I got the opportunity. I do wish I had participated more in the interview, and more questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do of you saw an employee take a Snickers bar and eat it while working?   1 Answer
    • What would I bring to Aldi's?   2 Answers
    • Tell what experience you have had with building display.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Atlanta, GA) in June 2016.

Interview

Went to the hiring event that was advertised. My recommendation is to have the employment application typed up by using adobe or any PDF editor. This shows preparation and make sure you dressed business casual. I went to the hiring event and there was a huge line, there was only one person accepting applications and it was the district manager. When I was called, I was asked about employment history and why I want to work for Aldi. My suggestion is that to explain them briefly, if you have retail experience I would say how many years, as this caught the district manager's attention for me. He informed me that they will call if interested. Five days passed and I received a group text from him wanting to setup a group interview with six others. Keep this in mind, that a group interview does NOT MEAN you are favored to be hired in as the Process has four steps which are: Hiring Event, Group Interview, Store Manager Interview and a final interview with the District Manager. At the group interview, they showed us around the store and how typical operations work. He also quizzed us on several things that are common sense, so if you want to get notice I recommend speaking up! Towards the end he ask us individually about employment history, attributes that you have and why we want to work for Aldi. Make sure you are sound in you answers as they have a grading sheet that will determine your eligibility for hire. After that he told us that if they were interested that they will call us. I got a call two hours later from him stating about setting a Store manager interview the next day, and he also followed up on the group interview. At the Store Manager interview I saw pretty much the same people from the group interview. Once in the interview the manger asked us about the group interview and he told us about general expectations of a Aldi employee. I recommend giving he/she your resume and answer and ask any questions you have. KEEP THIS IN MIND, that the store manager is also grading on your responses! The store manger also told me that if interested they would call back. So I receive a call back for the FINAL interview with the District Manger, ""If you reach this stage, you are pretty much in"""!! However I did not see two others from the group interview, which means that only four of us were hired for my location!! Overall only four of us out off 300 hundred potential candidates were hired. Finally the District manager told me that EVERYONE has to started at the bottom, so pretty much if you applied for shift manger, store manager trainee your are going to start off as an associate. Meh!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      What was one of the physical jobs you had?
      Why did you want to work for ALDI?
      What are your personal attributes?
      If you were a car, what car would you be?
      2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

Interview

I went to a hiring event that was hosted by Aldi. Aldi does most of their hiring through “hiring events”. I went to my local Aldi where they were hiring for three locations, so the turnout was high. Aldi goes through four phases of hiring which are: “The hiring event”, “Group interview”, “Interview with the store manager”, and finally a “Final interview with the District Manager”. Yes, the process is very long, as the company is making sure they are finding the right folks. The District manager does the hiring only, not the store manager in this case. So my experience was very lack luster as I advanced to each phase, however found it very interesting. So I went to the hiring event where they were accepting only the applications and then was asked brief questions such as: Tell me about yourself? Why do you want to work for Aldi? I recommend before the event that you edit the PDF employment application so it looks like you are prepared. Treat the employment application as if it was your resume! Most candidates were hand writing their information, which made me cringe! Also dress business casual and tuck that shirt in! Doesn’t have to be a fancy suit. When I was called upon, I gave my application and answered those questions, he then told me that if they were Interested that they will call me. So I waited and waited and eventually got a “group text” from him which I found weird. It stated that I was invited to a group interview with six others to the store that I applied for. So I went to the group interview where we were giving a tour of the store, and was quizzed on several things. Towards the end we were asked specific questions such as: Tell me about yourself, what was the physical aspect of you previous job, why Aldi? If you want to stand out, I recommend answering the questions right away and asking questions in return. It will generate a good image of yourself and remember folks just because you are in another interview doesn’t necessary mean they you are going to be hired. I found that out when I reach the final interview with the district manger that only five of us were only going to be hired into the store. The Store manager interview was quick, and it was pretty much like the group interview. You know when you pass the finish line if you reach the final interview with the district manager, which pretty much means you are hired. “Disclaimer Alert” I applied for shift manger, they will start you off as an associate and then expect you to work your way up! In summary my general experience was lack luster, the associates look miserable and it seem that they don’t care about customer service! The environment of the store look depressing, I am glad that I have reached the final stage however I am reconsidering it just because of that. There is a reason why they pay $11.00, because you are doing the work of 3 to five people! I rather go find something else as it might not be worth it in the end even with the benefits and such. MEH! Horrible!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      What are your personal attributes?
      Tell me about your previous employments?
      Why Aldi?
      If you were a car, what car would you be? <---? lol
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ALDI (Cherry Hill, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviews were in a series of three separate times with three different people. I went on the first two and turned down the job after the second when they asked to go to a third interview. They repeated the same questions the entire time.

Shift Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ALDI in February 2016.

Interview

I sent job application with both my resume and cover letter hoping to get an answer for an interview but i am still waiting , no contact yet from anyone in the company , they might email me soon .

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for Aldi   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ALDI (Miami, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

Had three interviews. Everything went pretty fast because the hiring manager name Justin talked really fast. He end up being a cool district manager until he got fired and til this day we still don't know what happened.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw somebody putting a snicker candy in their pocket?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Joseph, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at ALDI (Saint Joseph, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

Went in for a shift manager position and after the first interview I was asked if I would be okay being hired in as an associate (cashier). I was told that I would get 20 hours a week as a manager and 20 as a cashier. I found out during my second interview that 75% of the time I'd be considered an associate and get associate pay. They also seemed to have a problem with my school schedule. I go to school part time, 2 days a week, and they said that I would have to be available 6 days a week.
    Interview questions were not very difficult. A few situational questions and the DM did ask me to explain each of my previous jobs.

Interview Questions

I am too qualified as a manager to take an associate position.