AMD Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

AMD Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Updated Dec 6, 2016

Principal Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was mostly technical in nature comprising of 7 45-minute sessions including lunch. They start a bit early at ~9.00am (compared to other interviews I had) which I found preferrable than a later start. The sessions are not extremely rigid with regards to time and they could vary depending on the depth of discussion in any one session. Overall, the interviewers were very courteous and professional in their demeanor.

Interview Questions

• Analyze and recommend a decision between supporting fine-grained P-states Vs coarse-grained P-states specification for major SoC subsystems such as CPU, Graphics, Multimedia accelerators etc.   1 Answer

Senior Security Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Horrible experience. I applied to AMD through their website for this position, then get contacted by a talent recruiter up in Canada that was an AMD employee. Hear nothing for a few weeks and get a call from an Indian man in California that worked for Tata Consultancy Services... He had ALL my info because AMD gave it to them with out my permission. Along with this I could hardly understand him and ended up somehow scheduling a call back from one of the contractors working for AMD. Come to find out they were contacting me for a lower position and were attempting to persuade me that I'd be an AMD employee even though I'd be on contract through Tata Consultancy Services.
    AMD, fix your hiring process, if I wanted to work for some crap consulting company, I would had applied to them, not you.

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

It took 45 days to get to a second round, which is an in-person interview in the AMD campus.
    I thought process was very slow. But no response after the final round. I would like to hear atleast some feedback after this round.
    I was a 3 hour interview process slotted 30 minutes with each manager. I got only 20% relevant questions to the technology or what I have applied for. However, I am not interested if they call with some feedback. Looks like they are more stable in hardware side, but not in software development.
    I don't want to get laid off, after one month or so...

Interview Questions

• Questions on the general architecture patterns and patterns that are being used in my previous project.
      Funny thing is they are more interested in the hardware names and how they are being used, where I am not familiar with. Why do I care about the hardware, while I am in the software development.
      Answer Question

Corporate Development M&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Received an initial call from a company recruiter. After that screening it took approximately 2 weeks to connect with a Director. After this I waited another 2 - 3 weeks to have a call with a second director. I had that call and then... AMD slipped into a coma. Never heard anything back. Not even "Boo".

I ended up taking a CFO role elsewhere. I figured this lazy and apathetic of a interview processes was evidence of a cultural pathology.

Interview Questions

• 1.) "You are aware that we have some challenges. What would you change?" Well, OK! After first pressing upon the interviewer that I was not an informed position to propose specific remedies and changes, I was pressed again to provide some strategic changes.

2.) What do you know about SOC and wafer fabrication.
      1 Answer

Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Had 2 phone interviews and 8 rounds onsite. Prefer people with at least 1-2 years of relevant work experience.Requires basic knowledge in computer architecture, VLSI basics, scripting, programming and x86.

Interview Questions

• Paging, Caches, Pipelining, Question from Data structures, Verilog, State machines, Verification methodologies, Perl scripting.

All basic computer architecture and VLSI stuffs.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy!!

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Multi step process. Did an initial informal one on one with one of their presenters at a meet and greet hosted at my university. Submitted resume via e-mail. Did follow up phone interview with direct manager I would be working under. Then contacted by HR to fill out paper work. Rather smooth and painless process.

Interview Questions

• Familiarity with utilizing c++ and linux to handle advance math and physics problems.   1 Answer

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online for Physical Design position in Austin. Phone screening was pretty easy. Couple of questions on all the basic steps in the RTL-GDS flow: synthesis, timing, PnR etc. Got onsite call in 3-4 days. Had 6 tech interviews and 1 casual interview on-site. Each one focused on different aspects: PnR and Floor-planning, architecture, timing, digital circuits, SRAM and Power. Some of them were pretty rigorous, others could be cracked if you had done your homework.

Interview Questions

• How do you do power distribution on a chip?   Answer Question
    • How does setup and hold timing look like for a dual-phase clocking?   Answer Question
    • What are the pipeline stages in a state-of-art microprocessor?   Answer Question
    • How many gates in the critical path of a Carry-look-ahead adder?   Answer Question

Engineering Technician III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

4 interviews with 3 team leads and the hiring manager. Multiple hardware failures and symptoms given for triage with real world failing components. Sub-systems were differentiated by team lead interviewing. System debug is expected to be performed during interview process. Talking through each step as triage is applied.

Interview Questions

• The system (P.C.) under test configuration was laid out powered up upon a lab bench with Memtest 86+ running actively, the question asked " This system has a failure, you must find the failure you have 15 minutes".

Note:the memory failure that is happening each time in different bank and /rank when the failures happen. Memtest 86+ is running with faults actively on test 1, faulting.
      1 Answer

SMTS Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I worked there previously. I was referred by a manager. People checked with their peers who'd worked with me before and then interviewed me over the phone. I was re-hired without an onsite interview.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

After a brief phone screen, you move on to the on-site interview. These interviews are intense - generally 5 or 6 one hour interviews with engineers and managers of all levels. Very technical. Make sure to study up. If you get stuck, the interviewer will help spur you on - they want to know how you reason through a problem if you don't already know the answer.

Interview Questions

• "Have you ever looked at how a real processor is designed?" (in response to a description of my graduate design project. Out of the 5 or 6 interviews, at most one will try to push your buttons, and maybe none. But be ready to handle yourself in case it happens.   Answer Question