AMD Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 2, 2017

81 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Creative Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

one interview! went very quickly. they needed someone fast. went through local contract company. was very streamlined. no weird brainteaser questions. just really interested in who i was and what i could bring to the team.

Senior Firmware Engineer, Wireless IP Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

This position was with the AMD wireless IP group. This was a team that was formerly a startup and had been acquired by AMD. They were working on wireless VR systems.

Recruiter reached out. This was followed by a phone interview with hiring manager which was mostly a discussion on my background and the job position. This was followed by another technical phone interview with two engineers. I was invited on-site for about 5 one-one interviews and one lunch interview where I was answering questions in the middle of having lunch.

Overall, all the questions during the on-site interview rounds were very straight-forward except for the second round: during this round the engineer asked a math question based on display and another buffer management question based on display again. For both the questions, it seemed like the interviewer had one particular approach/solution in mind and was not open to even discussing my solution which I had derived from scratch. He could not even explain if there were any shortcomings with my approach. This was not a good sign from my perspective: I would struggle to work with such an engineer who is very close-minded in his approach to solving problems.

After the on-site interviews, there was no communication whatsoever in spite of multiple emails/calls to recruiter, staffing assistant etc.

The position was relevant to my background in WiFi and I think the work would have been very interesting and challenging. But I doubt if I would want to work of a company or team that has a complete disregard for a interview candidate's time.

Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX).

Interview

I got a technical phone screen followed by five hour onsite interview. Most of the questions were from transistor-level design and analysis concepts in both analog and digital side. Overall was a very good interview experience with friendly and polite interviewers.

Interview Questions

• 1.Latch and flip flop working and timing diagrams?
      2.What is Crosstalk Noise?   Answer Question

Principal Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was mostly technical in nature comprising of 7 45-minute sessions including lunch. They start a bit early at ~9.00am (compared to other interviews I had) which I found preferrable than a later start. The sessions are not extremely rigid with regards to time and they could vary depending on the depth of discussion in any one session. Overall, the interviewers were very courteous and professional in their demeanor.

Interview Questions

• Analyze and recommend a decision between supporting fine-grained P-states Vs coarse-grained P-states specification for major SoC subsystems such as CPU, Graphics, Multimedia accelerators etc.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process went smoothly, was contact by HR for a screening, then talked with a manager before going in to the office for the official round of interviews. Was placed in a room and managers rotated in and out, I believe I talked with six people total. The entire on site interview process took about two hours.

Interview Questions

• How much do you know about semiconductor manufacturing?   Answer Question

Senior Security Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Horrible experience. I applied to AMD through their website for this position, then get contacted by a talent recruiter up in Canada that was an AMD employee. Hear nothing for a few weeks and get a call from an Indian man in California that worked for Tata Consultancy Services... He had ALL my info because AMD gave it to them with out my permission. Along with this I could hardly understand him and ended up somehow scheduling a call back from one of the contractors working for AMD. Come to find out they were contacting me for a lower position and were attempting to persuade me that I'd be an AMD employee even though I'd be on contract through Tata Consultancy Services.
    AMD, fix your hiring process, if I wanted to work for some crap consulting company, I would had applied to them, not you.

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

It took 45 days to get to a second round, which is an in-person interview in the AMD campus.
    I thought process was very slow. But no response after the final round. I would like to hear atleast some feedback after this round.
    I was a 3 hour interview process slotted 30 minutes with each manager. I got only 20% relevant questions to the technology or what I have applied for. However, I am not interested if they call with some feedback. Looks like they are more stable in hardware side, but not in software development.
    I don't want to get laid off, after one month or so...

Interview Questions

• Questions on the general architecture patterns and patterns that are being used in my previous project.
      Funny thing is they are more interested in the hardware names and how they are being used, where I am not familiar with. Why do I care about the hardware, while I am in the software development.   Answer Question

Corporate Development M&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Received an initial call from a company recruiter. After that screening it took approximately 2 weeks to connect with a Director. After this I waited another 2 - 3 weeks to have a call with a second director. I had that call and then... AMD slipped into a coma. Never heard anything back. Not even "Boo".

I ended up taking a CFO role elsewhere. I figured this lazy and apathetic of a interview processes was evidence of a cultural pathology.

Interview Questions

• 1.) "You are aware that we have some challenges. What would you change?" Well, OK! After first pressing upon the interviewer that I was not an informed position to propose specific remedies and changes, I was pressed again to provide some strategic changes.

2.) What do you know about SOC and wafer fabrication.   1 Answer

Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Had 2 phone interviews and 8 rounds onsite. Prefer people with at least 1-2 years of relevant work experience.Requires basic knowledge in computer architecture, VLSI basics, scripting, programming and x86.

Interview Questions

• Paging, Caches, Pipelining, Question from Data structures, Verilog, State machines, Verification methodologies, Perl scripting.

All basic computer architecture and VLSI stuffs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy!!

Co-Op Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Multi step process. Did an initial informal one on one with one of their presenters at a meet and greet hosted at my university. Submitted resume via e-mail. Did follow up phone interview with direct manager I would be working under. Then contacted by HR to fill out paper work. Rather smooth and painless process.

Interview Questions

• Familiarity with utilizing c++ and linux to handle advance math and physics problems.   1 Answer