AMD Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AMD Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

My interview was really was not an interview because I was converted to FTE from a contract position. This is a very common practice at AMD. However, hiring managers are still required to post the open job req to the public. This is unfortunate for the people who apply for a job that technically has already been filled.

Interview Questions

• Converted to FTE from contract position.   2 Answers

Design Verification Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, they both asked questions about the projects in resume first, and then the second interview covered more technical questions related to C++, verilog/sv, and computer architecture.

Interview Questions

• 1. Difference between Temperal and Spatial
      2. Difference between Shared Memory and Memory Passing
      3. How to transfer a float number to integer in c++
      4. questions about class, inheritance, polymorphism and so on.   1 Answer

Principal Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview was mostly technical in nature comprising of 7 45-minute sessions including lunch. They start a bit early at ~9.00am (compared to other interviews I had) which I found preferrable than a later start. The sessions are not extremely rigid with regards to time and they could vary depending on the depth of discussion in any one session. Overall, the interviewers were very courteous and professional in their demeanor.

Interview Questions

• Analyze and recommend a decision between supporting fine-grained P-states Vs coarse-grained P-states specification for major SoC subsystems such as CPU, Graphics, Multimedia accelerators etc.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process went smoothly, was contact by HR for a screening, then talked with a manager before going in to the office for the official round of interviews. Was placed in a room and managers rotated in and out, I believe I talked with six people total. The entire on site interview process took about two hours.

Interview Questions

• How much do you know about semiconductor manufacturing?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMD in June 2016.

Interview

Took few weeks to pass resume to the hiring manager.
    Then 4 weeks of interview process including phone screening and face to face with the tech team and higher management
    Overall interview process seems good and smooth.
    Management seems like polished and seasoned management skills

Interview Questions

• Second level of interconnect and electrical requirements tech   1 Answer

Senior ASIC/Layout Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AMD (Gainesville, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

Received a telephonic interview from the team lead. He wanted someone to join immediately within a week. He mostly talked about what the company and asked very few questions. I guess because he wanted an immediate hire, the questions were very specific to what he was looking fir rather than testing my knowledge in that area. But overall a positive experience.

Senior Security Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

Horrible experience. I applied to AMD through their website for this position, then get contacted by a talent recruiter up in Canada that was an AMD employee. Hear nothing for a few weeks and get a call from an Indian man in California that worked for Tata Consultancy Services... He had ALL my info because AMD gave it to them with out my permission. Along with this I could hardly understand him and ended up somehow scheduling a call back from one of the contractors working for AMD. Come to find out they were contacting me for a lower position and were attempting to persuade me that I'd be an AMD employee even though I'd be on contract through Tata Consultancy Services.
    AMD, fix your hiring process, if I wanted to work for some crap consulting company, I would had applied to them, not you.

ASIC/Layout Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone screening for 30 minutes by the hiring manager. 3 weeks later invited for an onsite interview. There were 6 rounds 5 of which were technical (including one with the Director) and lunch with the hiring manager. Basic questions were asked related to my projects and the physical design flow including STA, physical verification, low power techniques, CMOS inverter layout and logical reasoning. Some of the interviews were focussed on solving the real world design issues, so experience with EDA tools would be necessary.

Interview Questions

• 1. Ways to check if there is any overlapping between cells in a multi-million cell design. (Perl related)
      2. How to check the correctness of the scan chains in the design?   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Six technical rounds (incl. one with Director) and one non-technical with the hiring manager. Prior to the onsite interview, there was a short phone screen one week back. The onsite interview was very enjoyable as the engineers asked me questions on real issues they were facing in taping out products.

Interview Questions

• Q: Mostly related to my PhD projects... and some general physical design ones. E.g., When can VDD degrade, how to offset / cure IR drop issues. How to fix timing at the post-route stage with minimum changes to the layout (i.e., avoid eco place)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Nothing actually, not flexible with compensation :/

Senior Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMD (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

It took 45 days to get to a second round, which is an in-person interview in the AMD campus.
    I thought process was very slow. But no response after the final round. I would like to hear atleast some feedback after this round.
    I was a 3 hour interview process slotted 30 minutes with each manager. I got only 20% relevant questions to the technology or what I have applied for. However, I am not interested if they call with some feedback. Looks like they are more stable in hardware side, but not in software development.
    I don't want to get laid off, after one month or so...

Interview Questions

• Questions on the general architecture patterns and patterns that are being used in my previous project.
      Funny thing is they are more interested in the hardware names and how they are being used, where I am not familiar with. Why do I care about the hardware, while I am in the software development.   Answer Question