AMD Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AMD Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2017

GPU Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD (Orlando, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screening: Took about 1 hour 20 mins. First 40 mins was about my background (resume and educational background and stuff). Next 40 mins was used for answering a few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Resume questions:
      Tell me about yourself (what courses you have taken and what areas of interest etc.)
      Describe 3 of your projects (one design project, one verification project and one architecture project)
      (details of each project was asked - like what was the clock period of your design, what language did you use, what do you mean by setup and hold time)
      After each project, I was asked what technical skills I had gained from each of them.

Technical questions:
      1. design question - given a code and asked to identify whether it was a sequential or combinational circuit and if sequential, how many clock cycles?
      2. given a function (say c++ function) and asked what the outcome of the function was for a given input value (the function was for finding the nearest power of 2 lesser than the given integer)
      3. design question - quickest algorithm to find the highest position of 1 (find the 1st '1' going from left to right) in a 16-bit input value.
      4. list uvm component phases
      Answer Question

Semiconductor Design and Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD in February 2016.

Interview

Quick for 30 mins. Questions were based on Resume. Technical. Checked my C++ knowledge. Behavioral Questions on working with teams on projects. questions like why AMD? what is you authorization to work in USA, etc.

Not difficult but surely presence of mind is important.

Interview Questions

• Implement a flip flop in C?
      What is a pure virtual function?
      Answer Question

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview Followed my infernos interview at office. The HR was nice and made me feel welcome. The entire process took 3 weeks and after the phone Interview I was called back for an in person interview in a week. My Overall experience of this interview was positive.

DFT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD (San Jose, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Basic question on Verilog and Verification. Interviewer is very friendly. It lasts about 45 minutes. Since my background covers IC Design and ASIC more. Then he asked me some more questions on IC Design. Most questions are basic. About 15 minutes' of introduction on previous project and some introduction on their group.

Senior ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

First phone interviewed with the hiring manager, then had onsite interview with 4 people, including the hiring manager. The interview was technical, 45 min per person. The engineers who interviewed me were friendly. The environment was very casual. No HR personnel was involved in the first round. I received email feedback on my status after two days, which was nice.

Interview Questions

• asynchronous clock domain crossing, FIFO pointer logic, timing constraints, a divide by 3 clock generator   Answer Question

Design Verification Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMD in November 2015.

Interview

I applyed through the amd career website, receive an email from one of the manager several days later. Got two round interview, one with the manager goes through my resume and introduced what main job I will do if hired. The other one is with a team member with some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Everything on the resume and related stuff, C++, Pipling, GPU   Answer Question

Post-Silicon Validation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD in November 2015.

Interview

I received a 30-min phone interview from the manager. He mainly asked me questions about my resume. This position may need candidates have background in microarchitecture and some software programming. So he asked me some questions about my experience in C, and also let me introduce some other projects he was interested in. He was very kind and wouldn't let me feel pressure. However I didn't prepare well at that time.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AMD (Orlando, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

Casual but organized and straightforward. I was asked about my C++ proficiency as well as my experience with graphics programming, debugging and software profiling tools, optimization techniques, multi-threading, CUDA/OpenCL, and a little bit about machine architecture. It was much more challenging than any previous interview I've had before. Very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• How would determine at which stage of the graphics pipeline you are bottlenecked, and how would you optimize it?   Answer Question

Design Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD.

Interview

I got this 45 minutes Phone interview because of employee referral. They sent me the email to set up a phone interview after 1 day, very efficient. During the phone interview, the interviewer asked me to help him go through my resume, and then asked me a few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• How to estimate the size of a computer memory; how to find out the reason why the area is lager than you expected after synthesis.   Answer Question

Summer Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Fort Collins, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

We started by talking about the course work I have taken and then moved on to technical questions. The entire process was about 1.5 hrs long. The questions are not very hard but can be tricky and requires thinking outside the box.
    Got a call confirming the offer after three weeks

Interview Questions

• Based on the I/O table, derive the logic expression for a circuit(logic gates and deMorgan's Law)   1 Answer
    • Find the equilibrium status of two capacitors given the initial conditions   1 Answer