AMD Physical Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AMD Physical Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 22, 2016

3.2

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AMD in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online, get contacted by email, phone arranged in 1 day. Basic question of resume and simple logic and layout questions.

What is your relevant technical experience in this area?

Setup hold time, transistor size, glitch reduction

Interview Questions

• Solve problems of parasite cap during building the layout   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for AMD

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through a former co-worker. Got a call from hiring manager. It was a quick 30 min phone interview. After this, got invited to on-site interview. On-site interview was not tough, except for few difficult ( for me ) technical questions. I could answer 80=90 %. But sometimes I found it hard to understand why some interviewing persons tone was as if you have done something wrong, just because you went there to get interviewed, and they are the boss of you now. I found it hard to understand why a candidate must be treated as if he/she is inferior person than person at AMD. I felt sometimes that tone of person interviewing was hostile without any provocation. At least to me it seemed odd. But once I got over it, it was ok. Also some people and AMD were very good in treating you with common courtesy/good manners.

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview: First described what this team does and what this position for. Then asked some questions on my resume, about my educations and experience. He let me choose one of favorite project and describe to him. Then asked a question, which can be considered as several sub questions.

Interview Questions

• While synthesizing memory(SRAM), how to estimate the area, delay and power? What can you do to solve time violation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Phone Interview by a staff engineer in Physical Design Group

Interview Questions

• How to estimate the power consumption and and area of a given design in limited time(e.g one week)?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

One telephone interview followed by a day-long onsite interview. The interviewers were well prepared, and each one focused on a specific skill. Overall, people were very pleasant but tough. Although, I was put in some other team rather than the one I interviewed with, the job responsibilities were very similar, and the management was willing to listen to my interests.

Physical Design Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 2 AMD engineers on the physical design team interviewing me at my school. The interview began with them describing the position and what thier team did at AMD. This was followed by a series of technical questions with regards to logic gates and CMOS logic. There were no generic interview questions, Interview was purly technical. Unfortunately one of the interviewers would tell me I was wrong midway through my explanation which through me off completely, setting the tone for the rest of the interview questions poorly. Other than that the two AMD staff members were very kind.

Interview Questions

• Draw the NAND implementation of some digital logic.
      Draw and explain the CMOS implementation of a NAND gate.
      A series of questions with regards to a CMOS inverter (switching, what comes after a CMOS inverter, explain how a CMOS invetering works, etc.)
      Basic Linux commands
      Answer Question

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview applying online. The interview was scheduled and was an hour long. Mostly technical and questions about my previous experiences. Afterwards I was told they will get back in about a week.

Interview Questions

• 1) Which is faster in an inverter rise time or fall time?
      2) What other factors effect rise fall times in an inverter?
      Answer Question

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMD in November 2012.

Interview

Couple of technical rounds , focussed more on your basic of digital vlsi design, they test your analytical ability to solve the problem, followed by HR as usual.
    No written test.

Interview Questions

• Basic of Digital VLSI, digital apti Questions puzzles
      like how you build complex gates using simple nand/muxes
      about inverter cross sections, physical design some questions on floorplanning delay calulation
      go throguh any DVLSI good book or video lectures.
      1 Answer

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at AMD (Hyderabad (India)) in March 2012.

Interview

very good. question are related to job profile. And they are more on your practical knowledge than theoretical knowledge. very good. question are related to job profile. And they are more on your practical knowledge than theoretical knowledge.very good. question are related to job profile. And they are more on your practical knowledge than theoretical knowledge.very good. question are related to job profile. And they are more on your practical knowledge than theoretical knowledge.