AMIDEAST Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AMIDEAST Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2017

2.9

Senior Program Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMIDEAST.

Interview

It was unscheduled phone interview...usually, they email you or call to schedule a phone interview but not in my case.. they called it phone screening...it was rather unexpected and quick...I was not very well prepared but I did my best to convey my interest in the position and how my qualifications align with what they are seeking

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

I am going to warn all future applicants about the complete and utter lack of professionalism from this organization. I applied for a Program Assistant position for their international education programs and received a phone call, out of the blue one afternoon, asking me for a phone screen interview. I thought this was very odd and quite frankly, disrespectful to my time and abilities as an applicant, as I was given no advance notice with no ability to prepare. My interviewer, an HR rep, sounded completely disinterested in my answers and barely gave any information about the position. At the end of the phone screen interview, when it came time for me to ask questions, I asked about professional development opportunities with the organization and was just told by my interviewer that they had them but he couldn't tell me what they were. However, this was not even the most unprofessional part of my experience. I completed the phone screen interview and was asked to come in for an in person interview a week later. During my in person interview, I was interviewed by the disinterested HR rep who had conducted my phone screen interview, followed by two members of the international education team. The questions I were asked were extremely generic and my interviewers read them off a form, mostly about teamwork and my ability to work with others. When I finished and thanked them for taking the time to interview me, I asked when I could expect to hear back and was just told "a couple of weeks". I was then sent a writing assignment I had to complete within 24 hours, which was about prioritizing tasks and drafting a letter on behalf of their organization. It was fairly simple and straightforward and I think I did fine given my strong writing skills. Two weeks went by and I reached out to my interviewers, first by phone and then by email, to ask for an update on the position and almost a week later, I still haven't heard. I find it highly unprofessional for an organization to simply ignore a candidate that made it to the final round of interviews. I would advise anyone who wants to work for an organization that respects them and what they bring to the table to bypass AMIDEAST. They are by far the rudest and most disrespectful organization with which I have ever had the misfortune of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time that you had to re-adjust your priorities at work because something came up last minute.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlisle, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Carlisle, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a phone screening interview and I was asked all the basic questions. I was called about a week after applying and I did not continue on to the in-person interview. It was a very monotone interview compared to others I have done. Honestly, it wasn't a good fit for what I wanted so I'm glad I didn't continue on. Although, it would have been nice to get an email saying they had chosen to move forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• In your words, what would a day as the program assistant look like?   Answer Question
    • Why should we choose you for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a brief phone screening (~20 min) then an extended Skype interview (1.5 hours). Second interview was split, first with an HR recruiter than with 2 other AMIDEAST employees. Interview consisted of a standard interview questions i.e. How well do you work in teams, greatest weakness, what makes you right for this position, etc. There was a brief written exercise that I submitted the next day. Heard back 2 weeks later personally from recruiter, but the position was awarded to someone with more experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Brief cold-call phone interview and then longer skype interview the following week. Second interview was one panel and one one-on-one. Interviews were followed with short exercises. Basic office tasks and I was given 24 hours to return the materials.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important factor for making a team work, in your opinion?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview with HR, then an interview with the program officer, and a writing test. In addition to filling out an application online, you must print about 20 pages of application materials to be filled out by hand and brought in. Nothing was allowed to be left blank and as such was uncomfortably invasive for a first interview. Both the HR manager and the program officer seemed shocked and put-off by my questions about work culture etc.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and interviewed with the company twice. My first interview involved first interviewing with the Human Resources manager followed by the director that I would report too. The HR manager took around 10-15 minutes with me and the director spoke with me for two hours. The interview with the director was more of a friendly chat with questions about my experience and information about the position thrown in. She was fantastic and I really felt like I could work for her. At the end of the interview, she told me that I was the only person interviewed for the position and that she'd really like to hire me but the company required her to interview more people. Weeks went by and I received a call followed by an email from a recruiter at the company inviting me in for an interview. This is when things became interesting. The recruiter seemed to have no knowledge of my previous interview and I had to let him know that I interviewed a few weeks prior and had completed the application and assorted other paperwork previously. When I interviewed with the recruiter, he informed me that the HR manager quit and he'd only been on the job two weeks. He really didn't have the best interviewing skills and I almost felt like I was coaching him. In addition, he tried to flirt with me which was uncomfortable and made me wonder if he would be an issue if I accepted the position. I also had a second cursory interview with the director of the department. After both interviews, the recruiter and director both indicated that I was the top candidate and that I would here from them early the next week. That was on a Friday morning. A week and a half went by with nothing and, during that time, I had two interviews with another company and received at job offer. As AMIDEAST was my first choice and asked me to stay in touch, I reached out to them on Wednesday to let them know what was going on and see if they had any updates on their end. I never heard any sort of response until two weeks later (after accepting the other job) when the recruiter sent me a form email stating that they went with another candidate and would keep my resume on file.

The entire process was a colossal waste of time and the HR department seems to be extremely unorganized. I mean, I had to resubmit my application and other paperwork because it was misplaced by the first HR manager I interviewed with. In addition, I've since learned that they have extremely high turnover.

Senior Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC).

Interview

About an hour and a half; mixture of traditional and non-traditional interview questions; came prepared with many questions of my own, which impressed the interviewer; spent the last half hour of the interview playing up mutual interests/connections

Interview Questions

• I'd prefer not to be too specific -- but there were definitely some tricky questions   Answer Question

Officer In Finance Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone, interview with upper management within Finance, interview with Vice President of Finance (who was not very interested in what my answers were), and the offer. The phone call was with person I'd be working with, the group interview was a 1:1 panel with three other individuals in the Finance Department, all asking me about the same procedures for a specific audit. The process was too long and drawn out when I feel like they were going to offer it to me anyways.

Interview Questions

• Experience with X, Y, and Z. Initiative displayed at former employer as shown in X, Y, and Z   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AMIDEAST (Washington, DC).

Interview

Amideast uses very deceiving hiring techniques. They don't post detailed job descriptions and responsibilities as most serious employers because they know that it will be impossible to find someone if they are truthful. They tend to speed up hiring process as soon as someone shows interest. They always include a line in the contract that says duties can change without notice and they are serious about changing your duties. Managers and officers often take care of low skill duties so don't let the title of officer/manager deceive you.

Interview Questions

• Can you adapt to small organization without standardized policies? Take this seriously because Amideast lacks structure and all VP are not on the same page. The CEO is a former Ambassador that likes to think about himself as the God of the institution. He is to be called Ambassador at all times. all questions were easy and they extended me an offer after my first interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me exactly what I wanted. It is important to negotiate salary because it is all you will be getting for years. There is 0 room for growth. No increases in FY 2011 and this year there was a 2.5 increase