AOL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

HR called first for background check. Then phone interview. Basic algorithm questions. Then onsite interview in palo alto. It was tough, 6 hours non-stop( I was asked algorithm questions during lunch. )

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AOL (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied in late Feb of 2015, got to speak with the hiring manager sometime during later March. The phone interview was very different from normal ones - the hiring manager spent more time talking about the company and the role because he wanted me to completely understand what I had applied for, and wanted me to decide if that's what I wanted to do. Was super informative and I loved that approach.

Got called on-site for a round of interviews (Boston). Onsite interviews early April - three rounds with three different people and they were all different. One interviewer asked me to design a mobile application (no code - just the plan and product feature prioritization), another wanted to talk about my resume in detail, and finally the hiring manager spoke at length about the advertising industry and asked me questions related to that, some behavioral too. Overall, it was for around 3 hours and they made me feel very comfortable - I got the feeling that they were interested in me and were taking an honest effort to know me better.

A couple of days later, got a mail from HR that they wanted to proceed to a Cultural interview round (Aol insists on a cultural ambassador interview - you need to pass a behavioral interview if you want to get in). It took around two weeks to get confirmation that I had cleared the interviews and they wanted to make an offer. It took till the end of April to finally get an offer letter that I gladly accepted!

Interview Questions

• Some questions from my interview:

Product:
      How would you design a mobile application for a to-do list?
      Talk about the ad industry and tell me how data can be used?
      How do we make what we have better?

Behavioral:
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      How would you fit into our team?

Cultural Interview:
      Have you ever had disagreements with a manager? Explain
      Do you socialize with team members outside of work?
      What is an ideal workplace for you?
      Why do you want to join AOL?   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AOL (Dulles, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

The process was quick. Friday the Recruiter told me about the opening of a new position at AOL and after a technical screening with the project manager in the team I was called in for a 4.5 hours in-person interview on Wednesday with 6 people all separately.

The interview had 3 technical people and 3 behaviorial analyser people. The technical people asked very general questions about basic HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP questions and a few performance and troubleshooting technique questions. The non technical people asked about the experience and how I handled different situations at work,

After going through all the interviews with flying colors (in my opinion), they call me on Friday to tell me my java script skills were not enough for the role though they enjoyed talking to me. They had almost no questions related to javascript during the interview and they said I was not strong enough in Javascript. I guess they were just trying to find reaason for not accepting me in. Anyways nothing but time was lost for me.

Looked great for a work place. Everyone over there who interviewed me have been working for over 10 years at AOL.

Interview Questions

• CSS Selector Question   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with a teammate who is performing weakly?   1 Answer
    • How would you improve the performance of a page load?   1 Answer
    • How would you deal with a project of counting trees in the whole county if you were a team lead?   Answer Question
    • PHP Session and Cookies   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AOL in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, had a phone interview a few days later, invited to in person interview a week after. Interview consisted of two 3 person interviews that lasted about 35 minutes each. Got the offer the next day, all took about 2.5 weeks

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated a slight increase, pretty easy going people

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy technical question and lots of behavioral questions. Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, phone interview with VP, in person interview with manager and team. People in the team are extremely nice, and they really cared about how I would fit with the team and company culture. I really like the team but i have to decline offer because of some personal reason.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AOL in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and well managed.I applied on their site and got a call after almost a month.There were two rounds, the first was a phone screen with the recruiter and the second was a 1:1 with the manager of the team.

Interview Questions

• The questions were based on my resume and my previous experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AOL in April 2016.

Interview

The wierdest interview that I ever had. I was referred by a recruiter. Before going for the interview, the recruiter told me that I had to bring a pad, a pen and 3 copies of my resume. If I don't have these things, they will send me back home. So, I dressed up in my penguin suit, got a fresh new pad, pen and 3 copies of my resume and went to the AOL office

I was greeted by the facilitator who led me into a small meeting room. The first part of the interview was a "coding challenge". It wasn't a coding challenge. It was a bunch of multi-choice questions that tested your knowledge about Java syntax. One of the questions had badly indented code. It looked like someone had mixed tabs with spaces and didn't realize that it looks bad printed out. I was thinking whether this is a test of my Java knowledge, or they are testing how well I read badly indented code. One of them even asked me to pick which function would be used. I picked the one that looked most appropriate, and wrote on the border that I usually look up the API in the Javadocs, and I don't remember the exact API. They gave me 30 minutes for this, and it took like 7. Since, I had time, I went back to the answer sheet and put in notes to explain each of my answer choices in detail.

Then, the facilitator took the answer sheet, and 5 minutes later 2 people showed up to interview me together. The first one took a look at me, then took a look at my resume again, then took a look at me, got up and said "I forgot something. I need 15 minutes. I'll be back in 15 minutes". She exit stage left. No explanation. I was wondering if there was something stuck in my teeth or whether I had a BO or something, or maybe she had the runs. I don't know. I never found out. It's kind of unprofessional. The guy who was left asked me whether I have worked in Java 7. I said no, so he proceeded to ask me Java 6 questions. Again, these were basic syntax questions mixed in with questions about concepts in core Java. I did well in the core questions, but I don't remember most of the API. At one point, I said "I'm sorry but I don't usually remember all the API because I rely on the IDE". He said "yes, All of us get lazy" Lazy? Who you calling lazy? I was getting a bit annoyed on the focus on remembering the APIs, like they were in pre-online help days where you had to open a manual to look at the API.

After this guy was done, he was waiting for the woman who was going to come back in 15 minutes, but she never showed up, so he left. Then 2 more guys came in, and I had a much more interesting interview. They talked about how I did cloud analytics at my previous job, and this is something that I have spent considerable time on. I talked about how I designed the platform, and what considerations went into the design. They presented problems and asked me how I solved them. It was very interesting. However, it was clear that their tech stack was much different than mine, and they were definitely looking for someone who can hit the ground running. I would need a month or 2 of ramp up time, and they could probably find someone else who does have those skills.

The lady who had run came back and escorted me out. Again, no explanation about what happenned. Oh and out of the pad, 3 copies of resume and pen, I used only the pen.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AOL.

Interview

Phone interview went well. She asked me to run through my resume that relates to the position I am applying to. This interview is more of getting an idea of how well I will fit in at AOL.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (Dulles, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with two managers and an Accounting Director. I discussed my experience and background with them and how it related to the position available. The managers and accounting director provided great detail of information about the role and the team. They were also very detailed in answering my questions about the recent company changes.

Interview Questions

• Provided a scenario and asked, "How would you record an accrual and/or a prepaid transactions?"   Answer Question
    • What is your skill level working with Excel?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AOL (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through Linkedin, Got reply two days later, set up a phone interview. the phone interview was very straightforward, asked me what types of softwares i used and my programming experience.