AOL Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

2.9

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

HR called first for background check. Then phone interview. Basic algorithm questions. Then onsite interview in palo alto. It was tough, 6 hours non-stop( I was asked algorithm questions during lunch. )

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Pretty Easy. Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager in person interview with manager and team. After they knew I had a technical background they were more concerned with how I would fit with the team and other related groups

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Technical phone interview - Took around 45 mins and was asked few object oriented questions and a program to know the largest set of contiguous numbers in a given set of numbers

Face to face - 6 persons interviewed and a additional cultural ambassador interview.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The first phone screen was scheduled in a week. This call was with the hiring manager. In this call, we discussed my previous work experience, why the position I am interviewing for interests me, what value I can add and what kind of products interest me.

I was then invited for an onsite interview. Met the recruiter, hiring manager, two product managers, one developer and a cultural ambassador.

Hiring Manager: In this interview, the hiring manager was basically gauging my product acumen. Questions were like- what is your favorite product and why? What can you do to improve mail? How can you make it more social? What is your idea of social, give specific examples.

Product Managers: In these interviews, the product managers were gauging how I deal with day to day activities. Questions were like- How to resolve design and technical conflicts between your product direction and an engineer's idea of product direction? Some discussion around Free and Premium models, specific ideas to improve mail esp contact, event and calendar management.

Developer: In this interview, the developer was focussed on understanding how I work with engineers. Questions were like- How do you resolve conflicts between design and engineering, how do you decide product direction, how do you handle conflicting/changing priorities, what are you strengths and weaknesses?

Cultural ambassador: In this interview, the HR tried to gauge how my attitude and values align with respect to that of the company. Questions were like- have you worked with a difficult personality, how did you handle it? What would you do if your manager is difficult and is a micro manager? What does your ideal job like? What did you think of the previous interviews?

Recruiter: This was basically exchanging pleasantries, showing around the office, gauging my interest in the position and company. The recruiters were great and kept me engaged throughout the process of getting approval for my offer. That helped me know that they were working on the next steps. I enjoyed working with such friendly and genuine recruiters.

After clearing the onsite interview, I spoke with my hiring manager's manager on a phone since he was based out of another location. His focus was to gauge my business acumen and the ability to see the big picture. Questions were like- How do you finalize and pitch a product idea? How do you get buy in?

After my interview, I was invited to join a birthday party for one of my team members. I thought that was very warm of the team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The recruiter came back with a number. I said I expected x because of a,b reasons. They said they'd see what they can do. Came back within 24 hours with the exact number that I had asked for.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

They talk very nice during the interview process, but no communication whatsoever after that.

Interview Questions

• They just have a set of prepared questions. Interview will be based on that. Won't ask anything about your previous work or anything of that sorts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

I met with 4 people in total, the first 3 were delightful to talk to the last person was of course the obnoxious director. He asked me to wait for over 40 min because he got stuck in a meeting. Afterwards he's walking around the office like an idiot. Then when we finally get to talk it was a total of 5 min. Who does that ? Complete waste of time. No wonder they got acquired.

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

The 6 hour interview process went smooth, but I felt my personal portfolio presentation was overly analyzed by people who didn't even have their own work public. Everyone was generally more critical than they should of been considering only 2 out of 8 of the interviewers had portfolios. I was shocked that I never received feedback after several attempts as to why they passed, even the recruiter didn't really know. Strange experience

Interview Questions

• So explain your process when dealing with engineers who have their own way of interpreting your designs   2 Answers

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

1st phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked about my background and explained the position. Then he asked technical questions related to the job description which were as follows:
    Controllability and what is its significance
    Observability and what is its significance
    Detectability
    Stabalizability
    Kalman Filter and its assumptions
    Minimum phase systems

2nd phone interview with the VP of R&D

Stability-discrete and continuous systems
    Kalman filter and its assumption
    Integral Control and its benefit in a PID controller
    Derivative control and its benefits PID controller
    Gradient Descent
    Newton's Method
    Non minimum phase system and its impulse response
    independence and uncorrelatedness
    residual analysis

After this I was called for an in person interview at their Palo Alto office

1st with the dev engineer
    Write down the pseudo code to find a fibonacci series
    Explain your research

2nd with statistics and database engineer
    write down pseudo code to pull data from an excel sheet or database(really simple one)
    explain your research projects

3rd with the Hiring manager again
    what are linearly dependent and independent vectors and what do they signify
    some estimation questions
    difference equations
    a stats case study type of question

4th with the VP again
    explain newton's method and its advantages and disadvantages
    what should one do when both gradient descent and newton's method fail-->answer quasi- newton or simplex method.
    say something about binomial, poisson, exponential, gamma distributions.
    what is a wind up in an integral control
    explain your research

5th culture and diversity person
    nothing technical just company's culture etc.

6th Lunch with another Optimization/machine learning engineer
    during lunch he asked about observers and why are they used
    clustering, hidden markov chains
    feature selection/reduction

7th another stats person
    define eigen values, eigen vectors, singular values, kalman filter
    ARMA model
    independence and correlation
    clustering and if clustering always converges

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with director first. Then onsite interview with the team 1 week after that. Then HR calling for pay rate in 2 days. done.

Interview Questions

• What is advantages and disadvantages of a PID controller? (the intern position was for data analysis and my background was in control).   Answer Question

Negotiation

They have an instruction. For internship the negotiation wont go to much or even any change to the original offer.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

I was cold contacted by a recruiter and set up a phone interview. Was told upfront that they were looking for a very senior admin but after discussions it seemed more like they were hoping for a very senior admin who would be willing to do work at a junior level/pay.