AOL Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 5, 2017

3.3

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AOL (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn and recruiter contacted after two days. Then phone screen was done with hiring manager which went for up to 45 minutes. Then recruiter scheduled for a face-to-face at onsite for about 3-4 hours. First round was for technical, second also technical, third design & managerial and final behavioral. Everything went smoothly and interviewers were very kind, nice. All went good but did not get feedback for why not offered.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for AOL

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at AOL.

Interview

Initial HR phone screening. - Simple technical questions.

Second face to face Interview on site. With 3 rounds. First with the team in which project was suppose to be. With few technical questions but basics. Then with Project manager with some question on interest and normal talk. Third with HR head with most of the HR behavioral questions.

took 1 week to say yes or no.

After we both agreed took 1 week to finalized the salary.

Then started the worst nightmare. After finalizing everything and giving verbal confirmation of every thing they ask for 1 week to issue offer letter.

That offer letter never come. The worst part is HR was keep on hiding the real thing behind and keep me hanging for 1 month in wait.

On top of that HR was aware the problem that there is a budget issue with the position and keep on giving me wrong information that there is no budget issue and just asked for few more days.

At the end they said we have budget cut we can't offer and worst part is HR never told me that directly. I only come to know from staffing company in-between.

Very Very unprofessional behavior and played with other carriers.

Interview Questions

• HR behavioral question are most difficult. Like How to handle a team member who is not performing etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Technical phone interview - Took around 45 mins and was asked few object oriented questions and a program to know the largest set of contiguous numbers in a given set of numbers

Face to face - 6 persons interviewed and a additional cultural ambassador interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AOL (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

It is very long and detailed interview.
    First a phone call with HR department, then online coding test, then interview in person.
    Interview in person is very long (about 5 hours) and consists of:
    - online coding test (again)
    - 4-5 different interview sections with different groups of people - cultural fit, technical interview and a couple more to see if you fit in the company mindset.

Two online coding tests and technical interview are simply too much.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AOL (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in April 2017.

Interview

- Online test
    - Phone call
    - 1:1 online interview with an engineer

then the engineer said you did really well and they will invite you for the next round. Got an email after a day from HR team explaining you did very well and we are impressed but we are going to hold the process of hiring at the moment and it might take a few months to be able to do this again.

Doesn't makes sense to me and this was the first time I had this experience.

Interview Questions

• - What is Singleton?
      - What is DFS? LinkedList
      - basic stuff...   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

First i got a call from smartrecruiters.com staffing company.She asked general questions.
    1. First interview was telephone and general screening
    2. Online Test
    3. telephonic technical interview
    4. Skype interview, online test
    5. No response, no interview feedback, scheduler left the AOL job. My email get bounvced :(

Poor process, i feel i have wasted my time

Interview Questions

• Interview was average. There were two persons on telephone. Started with Core Java, Hibernate, Spring and Database questions.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AOL (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Tech exam
    Phone interview
    Onsite: culture, tech and team interviews
    Great office
    Good vibe

Interview Questions

• Some tech questions more suitable to graduate as they would be something that you may cover when learning coding but haven't used since then.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was with a third party as I'm there a long time and my first 6 months was as a contractor.
    Things have changed significantly since I started here. Interview process is much more detailed now and is OTT IMO.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at AOL.

Interview

An open job interview is an interview for employment where companies accept job applications during a ranges of times when all applicants who are interested in applying can attend. The company conducts on-the-spot interviews rather than scheduling individual interview appointments with candidates. If the company advertises open interviews, this will be the first step in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?
      Give me an example of a time when you took the time to share a co-worker's or supervisor's achievements with others?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AOL in May 2010.

Interview

Interview with hiring manager on the phone went well. I was called onsite and interviewed with 5 members of their team. The team members were very friendly and open to talking about their projects and my role. The interview was very technical as expected. They had a written test that was administered early on prior to the interview. A large part of the hiring process is based on the test I think.

I thought the interview went well and was told that they would be going ahead with an offer. But, I was later told that the CTO vetoed the offer, which was a bummer because I liked the team and thought my skills lined up well to fit in. Oh well...moving on.

Interview Questions

• describe a difficult situtation you had to deal with management and how did you handle it.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AOL (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2009.

Interview

There was call from the recruiter and I have asked to take up an telephonic round.
    The First round over the telephone was around the resume and the basic skills from the tools used, the technology details and DB.

Once after that 1:1 with a panel for 2 hours, where end up writing sample code, drawing some concepts, trouble shooting the give code and so on