AOL Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2017

2.9

37 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AOL.

Interview

Talked with CTO and senior product manager about previous experience. No tech questions. They talked a lot about how interns works at AOL area 51, what they offer to interns and what they expect from interns.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for AOL

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The First round was behavioral talking to the manager over the phone and discussing your previous project and work experience. It lasted for 30 minutes. The second round was an online coding test via Hackerrank.

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AOL (Bellevue, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Was hired first as a contract to hire for 6 months before becoming a full time employee, so the interview questions are probably a lot easier compared to a candidate interviewing for a full time position.

1. Contracting company recruiter talk
    2. Phone screen from AOL
    3. Onsite interview, 3 rounds

Interview Questions

• Relatively simple and easy questions.

Phone interview:
      1. Given a positive integer n, implement a function that returns the nth number in the fibonacci sequence

Onsite interview:
      1. First the interviewer asked me how to implement a function that checks if a sudoku table is valid or not, but since I worked on this question the night before, he gave me a different one. Given an array of integers, where each integer represents the color of the ball, how can you sort the array so that, red balls are first, then blue ball, then green balls.

2. Cant remember the exact question but it was a recursive solution. Basically you are given a JSON object and you basically want to recurse through each property and print value depending on the value of the property.

3. I cant remember this exactly but it was copying some array in C.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

My recruiter was helpful. She responded quickly and gave me interview tips. I was not offered the position but she helped me find other positions at the company. I went through 2 phone interviews. The first was a general overview about the company and culture. The second was a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter asked about projects I was working on and covered everything on my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AOL (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

HR called first for background check. Then phone interview. Basic algorithm questions. Then onsite interview in palo alto. It was tough, 6 hours non-stop( I was asked algorithm questions during lunch. )

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AOL in April 2016.

Interview

The wierdest interview that I ever had. I was referred by a recruiter. Before going for the interview, the recruiter told me that I had to bring a pad, a pen and 3 copies of my resume. If I don't have these things, they will send me back home. So, I dressed up in my penguin suit, got a fresh new pad, pen and 3 copies of my resume and went to the AOL office

I was greeted by the facilitator who led me into a small meeting room. The first part of the interview was a "coding challenge". It wasn't a coding challenge. It was a bunch of multi-choice questions that tested your knowledge about Java syntax. One of the questions had badly indented code. It looked like someone had mixed tabs with spaces and didn't realize that it looks bad printed out. I was thinking whether this is a test of my Java knowledge, or they are testing how well I read badly indented code. One of them even asked me to pick which function would be used. I picked the one that looked most appropriate, and wrote on the border that I usually look up the API in the Javadocs, and I don't remember the exact API. They gave me 30 minutes for this, and it took like 7. Since, I had time, I went back to the answer sheet and put in notes to explain each of my answer choices in detail.

Then, the facilitator took the answer sheet, and 5 minutes later 2 people showed up to interview me together. The first one took a look at me, then took a look at my resume again, then took a look at me, got up and said "I forgot something. I need 15 minutes. I'll be back in 15 minutes". She exit stage left. No explanation. I was wondering if there was something stuck in my teeth or whether I had a BO or something, or maybe she had the runs. I don't know. I never found out. It's kind of unprofessional. The guy who was left asked me whether I have worked in Java 7. I said no, so he proceeded to ask me Java 6 questions. Again, these were basic syntax questions mixed in with questions about concepts in core Java. I did well in the core questions, but I don't remember most of the API. At one point, I said "I'm sorry but I don't usually remember all the API because I rely on the IDE". He said "yes, All of us get lazy" Lazy? Who you calling lazy? I was getting a bit annoyed on the focus on remembering the APIs, like they were in pre-online help days where you had to open a manual to look at the API.

After this guy was done, he was waiting for the woman who was going to come back in 15 minutes, but she never showed up, so he left. Then 2 more guys came in, and I had a much more interesting interview. They talked about how I did cloud analytics at my previous job, and this is something that I have spent considerable time on. I talked about how I designed the platform, and what considerations went into the design. They presented problems and asked me how I solved them. It was very interesting. However, it was clear that their tech stack was much different than mine, and they were definitely looking for someone who can hit the ground running. I would need a month or 2 of ramp up time, and they could probably find someone else who does have those skills.

The lady who had run came back and escorted me out. Again, no explanation about what happenned. Oh and out of the pad, 3 copies of resume and pen, I used only the pen.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AOL (Baltimore, MD) in November 2015.

Interview

phone screening followed by in person interview which was about 3 hours of technical interview and one hour of cultural interview. Interview process was fast and questions were very easy

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AOL (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with hiring manager with technical questions followed by interesting assignment of building small trading system. Code have been assessed and the panel, in-person interview followed. ~week for offer approval and final phone screen with cultural ambassador. ~2 weeks later offer.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, http, java, scala, architectural, culture, behavioral etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at AOL.

Interview

There were 6 rounds. The first was a lunch and informal chat with the manager followed by a round where I was questioned about manual testing, CI/CD and automation testing. The next round was an algorithms round with three simple problems. Then I had an iOS interview with some basic questions followed by a conversation with a cultural ambassador. The final round was a hands on coding round where I was asked to build a simple app in 60 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AOL (New York, NY).

Interview

The longest interview process ever! 2 months and 13 rounds of interviews (yes, thirteen!). The position was for a sub-company under AOL and most of the rounds were technical. 8 rounds of onsite interviews (in a single day) and 5 rounds of phone and skype in total. The best part of the interview was not even a single interviewer was intimidating or strict. It was all casual and the work place was super cool.

Interview Questions

• Common HR questions and technical questions were on specific technologies required for the position   Answer Question