AOL Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

2.6

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Insight Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and in a week I was asked to do a phone screen. They were flexible to do early in the morning and the interview itself was positive, the HR lady was very nice and put me through to the next stage at the end. It took them a week and with chasing from my side to get the in-person interviews scheduled for the following week. On the day, the experience was positive overall, everyone was really nice, helpful, smiling. I had an hour interview with the manager who didn't ask me many questions and talked more than I did. Then an interview with the 2 analysts on the team which was more a personality fit I think. Then I was given 4 tests, timed 15 min each, including writing SQL queries, an excel test - very basic some pivots, conditional formatting, formulas, etc and 2 logical and numerical tests. And that's as far as the positives go.
    As you might have read the company grows through acquisitions so for an analyst role you can expect to collect data from hundreds of different sources, consolidate, format, sounds frustrating just thinking about it. The analysts themselves mentioned it is challenging to work with people from their own company as the 100 London staff is spread over at least 3-4 offices. I got the impression primary customers would be in the US so working with Cali which is 8-9 zones behind would be difficult.
    Again due to the acquisitions and constant uncertainty there is no clear career path, just hope you don't get sacked after another round of mergers.
    They called me on the same day after the interview and again the next day to say I was the preferred candidate and they want to talk about money. I had made it very clear on the phone interview that I want a bit more than their range and was initially told this could be okay. So discussing this topic twice more was very annoying and sounded quite cheap for a profitable company. I was told they cannot be giving extra 5k to everyone. She was very persistent to know my current salary and bonus package (in other words she wanted to know my exact compensation so they can offer me the same I am currently on!). I didn't know the exact bonus at the time and she didn't get back to me regarding the position questions I had, there was just no further contact. Unprofessional is an understatement. Imagine getting a raise once employed!
    Basically this was a waste of time.
    None of my friends and coworkers knew that aol was still relevant. Let's keep it that way.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AOL in October 2016.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn was contacted via HR to complete a online round via hackerank. After completing a procesing got a call for the next round. But before it could get finalized, the HR mailed that "We have decided to cancel hiring for this position and are unlikely to consider hiring for this role again until the New Year."

Interview Questions

• Design and code for cache operation, get, set, update and expire.
      And Db query to use pivot   Answer Question

Head of Attribution Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Never happened. I received an invitation to discuss, as I was more than a fit for the role. I waited 20 minutes and the call never happened. I managed to get a hold of the recruiter, who basically said "call me later". I tried contacting him again, as well as one of his colleagues - nothing.

Sales Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

1 interview with presentation to a panel of 4. Had to speak about challenges in the industry and had half an hour to talk through points. Then another half an hour to answer their questions. It was fairly simple and informal

Financial Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

There was a brief phone interview that was very easy, just looking to verify you are who you are. Then came the first interview and it's not good at all. The interview was as warm as a wet blanket. This is a straight numbers person, so if you are someone who is not a total accountant sort, probably not a great fit for you. Combined with a very tight lip and a intimidating demeanor, I can say it was probably one of the worst interviewers I have. I am normally a good interviewee but this person put me completely at unease.

Interview Questions

• Lots of basic accounting questions- no examples or documentation supplied. The person also doesn't tell you if you are right or wrong, so it's very much like an exam being giving by your least favourite school teacher.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

First i got a call from smartrecruiters.com staffing company.She asked general questions.
    1. First interview was telephone and general screening
    2. Online Test
    3. telephonic technical interview
    4. Skype interview, online test
    5. No response, no interview feedback, scheduler left the AOL job. My email get bounvced :(

Poor process, i feel i have wasted my time

Interview Questions

• Interview was average. There were two persons on telephone. Started with Core Java, Hibernate, Spring and Database questions.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Three Stages, Phone interview, First face to face and second face to face. Was good but very unclear feedback after final interview which the job was offered to someone else.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your best and work experience with managers at former places of work.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Process took around 4 weeks from application to final response. First interview was a standard phone interview. Second interview involved attention to detail test along with a standard interview accessing skills. Third interview was with a member of the culture team along with more standard interviews. All in all about 4 hours of face to face interviews and 20min phone interview.

Culture and fit is a big part of the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AOL.

Interview

two interviews, approachable interview process, but cultural fit is a weird one. asked a mixture of technical and general questions. some questions were repeats. they do take their time and are not always responsive to feedback. maybe, they were looking for a particular look of a candidate. be prepared for any sort of questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AOL (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a senior software engineer and didn't go any further. I answered everything correctly and in depth. I didn't remember exactly the MVC pattern's components though and in my feedback that was the reason of the rejection along with bad communication skills. They said I was asking the interviewer to repeat his questions (which never happened) and that suggests bad communication skills.

Interview Questions

• Apparently the MVC pattern is very important for a Software Engineer, even for a "non-Web" role.   Answer Question