ASDA Checkout Operator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ASDA Checkout Operator Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2017

2.4

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

I initially attended the asda magic assessment which consisted of three different parts. The first part was getting your name badge and picking your favourite flower, in which the group (there were 11 of us) had to organise themselves alphabetically according to the flower. You then got paired with the person next to you and we got three questions; whats your favourite thing about spring, why asda and why you chose that flower. You were being watched by the employees so it's important that you make conversation with your partner! The second part was being put into groups and we had to make a container to stop an egg from cracking while sticking to a budget for the objects we used. Our team lost but the most important thing is showing that you can adapt to working in a group - so make sure you contribute! Lastly we got paired up and had to walk around the store and then went back into the room and say what was good about their seasonal display.
This part was so chilled out, just make sure you show that you're friendly!

I got a call 2 days later to say I passed the first part and had my interview exactly one week after the magic assessment.

The interview was fairly simple. The actual interview section lasted about 15-20 minutes and they ask questions suited to your experience, so don't worry too much! Just make sure you're prepared and enthusiastic. After the questions I was shown around the shop floor and then helped pack bags on the checkouts for about 10 minutes. It was once again really relaxed, I think they mostly are looking for someone who is good with customers and approachable!

Interview Questions

• When is a time you've received really good customer service   1 Answer
  • A scenario about a customer not being able to find a specific product they always bought   1 Answer
  • When have you worked well in a team   Answer Question
  • When have you given excellent customer service   Answer Question
  • How do you think asda keeps their prices so low   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ASDA

Checkout Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at ASDA.

Interview

I applied online, got call next day asking me to attend a group interview. I went for a checkout vacancy. The group interview was with 4 others. We had to break in to 2 groups tell each other about ourselves for about four minutes, name, age, family etc and the person next to you had to then relay this back to the Asda employee. To see what we could remember. We were asked why we wanted to work for Asda. (my answer was it's a good company, good prospect of promotion, believe in the brand of Asda/Walmart, I want to be part of a team with a can do attitude etc) Then we had to build a balloon tower from Sellotape and balloons with in 7 minutes. We had to nominate a Capitan and name the tower. I was nominated as captain and I came up with the name "Rainbow tower" lots of different coloured balloons. I found it important to push yourself forward and be outgoing even though I'm normally quite shy I had read on here before they like outgoing people which is very true. We then filled out our availability. And gave right to work documents. Then we were called for private interviews. I was first from the group. In the private interview I was asked general interview questions about myself, work history.. Just be yourself and honest. The manager told me she would ring me asap. I then left. I got a call with 3 hours from leaving offering me a position. I am thrilled and looking forward to working for a wonderful company. If you are reading this than I wish you good luck with your interview

Interview Questions

• What do you think we look for in our staff   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Filled in an online application, had a situational judgement test. Attended Asda magic event (old Kent road London) - which was the biggest joke I've ever experienced, really stupid situation where they assess personality, the loud obnoxious ones always try to outshine everyone and it's difficult to get your bit in edgewise. Personality doesn't determine the kind of worker you are. I will not be applying there again. Don't even bother unless you're an obnoxious loud person.

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Completed online assessment. Invited to group interview. Completed a number of 'get to know each other' exercises (1) where is the furthest place you have ever travelled? (2) what is your favourite thing about ASDA. Given team tasks - decide how to divide a pot of money. - Store walk about to identify seasonal deals.

Invited to second interview (approx 3 days later) 'Have a go' experience. (Working in George clothing dept.) and a one-to-one interview with a manager. (Tell me a time where you have not gotten along with someone at work, how did you address it? Tell me a time where you have had your customer service skills challenged. Tell me a time when someone has identified a weakness in you - how did you react?)

Offered position approx 2 weeks after second interview. (Long wait!) Induction 4.5 hours, then a further 2.5 hours of legal training, 2.5 checkout training. Whole day training on counter.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to deal with a challenging customer?   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in High Wycombe, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA (High Wycombe, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Had a group interview, we were asked to introduce the person next to us and why they would like to work for Asda and also what 2 items would they take to the moon. Staff were friendly.

Interview Questions

• What is one time had you a difficulty and overcame it?
      What achievement is your friend and family proud of?
      Answer Question

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ASDA (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received a call about a week later inviting me to a Magic event which is essentially just a group interview. There were 10 of us, and 5 employees there to observe. After their introductions we were paired up and had to find out general info about your partner and then relay that back to everyone in the room, we were also asked what two items we'd take to space.

We then watched a video about ASDA and what they strive for, and then were taken around the store which was just to kill time while they photocopied our ID's, you must bring your NI Number and Passport/Birth Certificate or you might as well go back home.

When we got back to the room, in the same pairs we had a task where we were given an item and had to promote the benefits of that product. We had the choice of how we did that, whether it was a song, poem, presentation, advert etc. I would say take this opportunity to show a bit of personality, most will likely opt for the easy presentation route so if you can stand out a little by doing a silly little role play advert then you're likely to stick in their minds more.

We then had to fill in availability forms and what departments we'd be willing to work in and once that was completed we were free to go. It was extremely relaxed and welcoming which is more than I can say for other group interviews I've been to. I tend to find the loudest person usually gets the job at a group interview but it didn't seem to be the case here. As long as you appear comfortable in your own skin and speak clearly during tasks, you'll do alright.

I received a call literally an hour later asking me to come back 2 days later for a 1 to 1 interview, which I have to say was just a formality. I was sat down in a room and the interviewer (who had also been at the group interview) seemed to have already decided I had the job before I even opened my mouth. It seemed to me to just be a procedural thing she had to do. She asked me what I thought of the group interview and then asked me one straight forward situational question before going on to tell me the hours she wanted to offer me. I accepted and now I have to attend me induction in 4 days time.

Very relaxed and straight forward process, best I've been a part of. As long as you smile and have a bit of fun with the tasks it seems you're a good fit. So good luck!

Interview Questions

• If you were working on checkouts and a customer decided they didn't want a fresh item as they came through, how would you get that item back to its place?   1 Answer
    • What did you think of the magic event?   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ASDA (Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I received a phone call and was invited back for a interview. I went on a Saturday and there were about 9 others. It started with a short intro to the ASDA team who were going to stay during interviews. After that we had a group task in which we were to look at a hidden structure for 5 secs and relay what it looked like back to the team in order to reconstruct it. It was easy and very relaxed. The ones who were vocal and more involved, got the job. I would suggest not being the centre of attention but play a part, for example I took it upon myself to count the seconds whilst the others did helped construct or nothing at all. After this we had one on one interviews which were simple and really easy, you just need to be yourself, relaxed and a bit chatty. I was then called on Tuesday and was told I got the job. They booked me in for a ASDA best welcome and took my uniform size down. I went for the best welcome and honestly it was very draining, repetitive and filled with paper work, but that is to be expected. We had work booklets to fill out etc. Out of the 10 of us, only 3 were called back and these were the people who were mostly involved in the group task! Now I've got 4 weeks of training! Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a loyal/ regular customer you've had.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time were you had a difficult colleague and how you overcame the issues.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Took around a week and a half. Stay calm and get involved!

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boldon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Boldon, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

There were about 10 of us waiting for the Asda magic event, when they were setting up, another colleague photocopied our right to work documents, and asked us to sign them. We were then taken through to a board room, where we had name badges, and a piece of paper and a pen. There were 3 staff in the room, who talked about what they did and how long they'd been with Asda. After that, we watched a short video about working for Asda. We were told to right down things about the person next to us, and then feedback to the group. The next bit was a 'have a go' session,so we were taken in to store and helped customers pack their bags at the checkouts. After 15 minutes of helping customers, we went back to the board room and were split in to two teams. We had to nominate a team captain, and then pick a product, design a 60 second advert for it. That was it! She said if we were successful we'd know by the end of the week and induction would start the following week.

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ASDA (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

group interview with 11 other people was a pain to someone who is as introverted as i, but might have been enjoyable for others. we were asked to perform some creative task, like creating ads for asda products. followed by an individual interview where i was asked about previous work experience, flexibility, attitude towards team work etc.

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ASDA (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied for Asda at 00:20 and got a call the same day at 16:45 asking me to come in for an interview. I went in to a group interview with 14 people all together and 5 asda colleagues. First of all one of the colleagues introduced herself and the other colleagues. Then we were told to talk to the person next to us and ask them what they do for work or education, why they want to work for Asda and where they want to travel to and why. We then had to say the answers to the group. After that we gave our right to work documents to a colleague and filled out health screening and availability forms. After we had done that we were split into groups of 3/4 and went on the shop floor. We were told to write down things to show that Asda care about their customers. When we got back to the interview room we had to nominate a spokes person to tell the group 10 of the things that we found. We were all invited to a one-to-one interview as there were 14 of us and 9 of us would be hired. The interview lasted 6 hours in total.

The next day I went in for a one-to-one interview and it was more of a chat with my section leader than a formal interview. She wrote down my answers and I was told I would get a call over the weekend (my interview was on a Thursday). The interview later around 25 minutes.

I got a call on the Saturday asking me to come in for an induction on Monday where we watched videos, filled in forms and got our uniforms. I started on checkouts the following day.