ASDA Checkout Operator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 6, 2017

2.3

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview was degrading, it was a group interview but nobody asked us about our ability to do the job, we literally just had to act out a silly "bad customer service scenario" just so they could tell us "this isn't how we do things at asda"
Nobody questioned us on experience or anything relevant, i was offered a job at the end which i accepted but when i got to work it wasn't the job I'd applied for, i lasted less than a week before i couldn't mentally or physically handle it. Great if you need money quickly and aren't having luck with other jobs, but so much if you can afford to be picky.
I turned down 2 other job offers for this one, what a mistake that was!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ASDA

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solihull, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Solihull, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Situational test online and then invited to an Asda Magic Event. Played a group bingo to break the ice and then came up with ideas on how to get involved with the community and charity at Christmas. Taken to look around the store and to pick out things that could be improved and what was good. Discussed ideas about the stores and then had a 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions

• A time when you received negative feedback and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question
    • When has there been a time that you have given good customer service?   Answer Question
    • When has there been a time when you haven't gotten along with someone and what did you do?   Answer Question

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leyton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA (Leyton, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I was crap you can tell they were not bothered in the process, as there were 11 of us and I read everywhere that it will involve group task, role plays, etc. I prepared for some questions also. All we freaking did was find out three things about the person next to you (mind you someone came late and had to join me and another candidate which kind of messed up the flow of things, it was three having to find out stuff about each other) then say it back to the group. Ten we filled out forms and went to the shop floor where we had to stack shelves for a 40 mins (free labour) they were barely watching us, my knees were hurting and my back. They then called us back in the room but I overheard some of the other candidates asking other if they called them for a 1 to 1 interview as we were stacking shelves. At the very moment I knew I didnt get the job as they didnt call to interview. After they got some free manual labour we told that if we were successful we would get an email to come in for induction and if we were unsuccessful we would not hear anything from them (which isquite stupid I mean at least let people know if they are unsuccessful). This is where they really took the micky as 4 days after the asda tragic assessment i received an email from asda and I immediately thought despite my thoughts and not being interviewed that I got the since they said if we were successful we would get an email. The freaking email said 'sorry you have been unsuccessful' as soon as I saw those words I deleted the email and got rid of anything ASDA (don't get me wrong i'm glad they told me I was unsuccessful but don't play with my emotions). After the whole experience I feel that any company that wastes an hour of your time should pay you.

Interview Questions

• Where do you currently work?   1 Answer
    • What can you bring to the role?   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied for the job on a Sunday, gave me a call a couple of days later to come in for the ASDA magic event, turned up on the Wednesday and did really well. Got a call back a couple of days later to come in for a one to one interview with the section leader. This is where I found out due to the hours I could do, I was put as a warehouse colleague instead, I was happy with this, as I had previous experience, I was offered the job there and then and went for the Best Welcome the following week. It was split over 2 days to make sure it wasn't long and drawn out, got paid for both days and start work the week after.

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

I initially attended the asda magic assessment which consisted of three different parts. The first part was getting your name badge and picking your favourite flower, in which the group (there were 11 of us) had to organise themselves alphabetically according to the flower. You then got paired with the person next to you and we got three questions; whats your favourite thing about spring, why asda and why you chose that flower. You were being watched by the employees so it's important that you make conversation with your partner! The second part was being put into groups and we had to make a container to stop an egg from cracking while sticking to a budget for the objects we used. Our team lost but the most important thing is showing that you can adapt to working in a group - so make sure you contribute! Lastly we got paired up and had to walk around the store and then went back into the room and say what was good about their seasonal display.
    This part was so chilled out, just make sure you show that you're friendly!

I got a call 2 days later to say I passed the first part and had my interview exactly one week after the magic assessment.

The interview was fairly simple. The actual interview section lasted about 15-20 minutes and they ask questions suited to your experience, so don't worry too much! Just make sure you're prepared and enthusiastic. After the questions I was shown around the shop floor and then helped pack bags on the checkouts for about 10 minutes. It was once again really relaxed, I think they mostly are looking for someone who is good with customers and approachable!

Interview Questions

• When is a time you've received really good customer service   1 Answer
    • A scenario about a customer not being able to find a specific product they always bought   1 Answer
    • When have you worked well in a team   Answer Question
    • When have you given excellent customer service   Answer Question
    • How do you think asda keeps their prices so low   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at ASDA.

Interview

I applied online, got call next day asking me to attend a group interview. I went for a checkout vacancy. The group interview was with 4 others. We had to break in to 2 groups tell each other about ourselves for about four minutes, name, age, family etc and the person next to you had to then relay this back to the Asda employee. To see what we could remember. We were asked why we wanted to work for Asda. (my answer was it's a good company, good prospect of promotion, believe in the brand of Asda/Walmart, I want to be part of a team with a can do attitude etc) Then we had to build a balloon tower from Sellotape and balloons with in 7 minutes. We had to nominate a Capitan and name the tower. I was nominated as captain and I came up with the name "Rainbow tower" lots of different coloured balloons. I found it important to push yourself forward and be outgoing even though I'm normally quite shy I had read on here before they like outgoing people which is very true. We then filled out our availability. And gave right to work documents. Then we were called for private interviews. I was first from the group. In the private interview I was asked general interview questions about myself, work history.. Just be yourself and honest. The manager told me she would ring me asap. I then left. I got a call with 3 hours from leaving offering me a position. I am thrilled and looking forward to working for a wonderful company. If you are reading this than I wish you good luck with your interview

Interview Questions

• What do you think we look for in our staff   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ASDA (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Filled in an online application, had a situational judgement test. Attended Asda magic event (old Kent road London) - which was the biggest joke I've ever experienced, really stupid situation where they assess personality, the loud obnoxious ones always try to outshine everyone and it's difficult to get your bit in edgewise. Personality doesn't determine the kind of worker you are. I will not be applying there again. Don't even bother unless you're an obnoxious loud person.

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ASDA (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Completed online assessment. Invited to group interview. Completed a number of 'get to know each other' exercises (1) where is the furthest place you have ever travelled? (2) what is your favourite thing about ASDA. Given team tasks - decide how to divide a pot of money. - Store walk about to identify seasonal deals.

Invited to second interview (approx 3 days later) 'Have a go' experience. (Working in George clothing dept.) and a one-to-one interview with a manager. (Tell me a time where you have not gotten along with someone at work, how did you address it? Tell me a time where you have had your customer service skills challenged. Tell me a time when someone has identified a weakness in you - how did you react?)

Offered position approx 2 weeks after second interview. (Long wait!) Induction 4.5 hours, then a further 2.5 hours of legal training, 2.5 checkout training. Whole day training on counter.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to deal with a challenging customer?   1 Answer

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in High Wycombe, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ASDA (High Wycombe, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Had a group interview, we were asked to introduce the person next to us and why they would like to work for Asda and also what 2 items would they take to the moon. Staff were friendly.

Interview Questions

• What is one time had you a difficulty and overcame it?
      What achievement is your friend and family proud of?   Answer Question

Checkout Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ASDA (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received a call about a week later inviting me to a Magic event which is essentially just a group interview. There were 10 of us, and 5 employees there to observe. After their introductions we were paired up and had to find out general info about your partner and then relay that back to everyone in the room, we were also asked what two items we'd take to space.

We then watched a video about ASDA and what they strive for, and then were taken around the store which was just to kill time while they photocopied our ID's, you must bring your NI Number and Passport/Birth Certificate or you might as well go back home.

When we got back to the room, in the same pairs we had a task where we were given an item and had to promote the benefits of that product. We had the choice of how we did that, whether it was a song, poem, presentation, advert etc. I would say take this opportunity to show a bit of personality, most will likely opt for the easy presentation route so if you can stand out a little by doing a silly little role play advert then you're likely to stick in their minds more.

We then had to fill in availability forms and what departments we'd be willing to work in and once that was completed we were free to go. It was extremely relaxed and welcoming which is more than I can say for other group interviews I've been to. I tend to find the loudest person usually gets the job at a group interview but it didn't seem to be the case here. As long as you appear comfortable in your own skin and speak clearly during tasks, you'll do alright.

I received a call literally an hour later asking me to come back 2 days later for a 1 to 1 interview, which I have to say was just a formality. I was sat down in a room and the interviewer (who had also been at the group interview) seemed to have already decided I had the job before I even opened my mouth. It seemed to me to just be a procedural thing she had to do. She asked me what I thought of the group interview and then asked me one straight forward situational question before going on to tell me the hours she wanted to offer me. I accepted and now I have to attend me induction in 4 days time.

Very relaxed and straight forward process, best I've been a part of. As long as you smile and have a bit of fun with the tasks it seems you're a good fit. So good luck!

Interview Questions

• If you were working on checkouts and a customer decided they didn't want a fresh item as they came through, how would you get that item back to its place?   1 Answer
    • What did you think of the magic event?   1 Answer